2006 Canadian Races

Slalom Skateboarding in Canada

Moderator: Claude Regnier

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

2006 Canadian Races

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:18 pm

Just thought we should start a thread so anyone can post an event they may be trying to host in the coming season.

Dovercourt Open -July 1, 2 (3 if possible)
Many Happy Pumps!

jeff bonny

Post by jeff bonny » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:35 pm

Hiya!

I've scoped out a timing system and am going to get some outlaw races and regular timed training sessions going in Vancouver this coming season. If anyone's interested email me at jeffbonny@shaw.ca

I'm also planning on hitting some races in WA State and maybe Oregon and California and am looking for people to car pool it with.

Things seem to be picking up some momentum out East. What have you guys done in regard to sanctioning, permission to use streets and insurance issues vs. just going outlaw? How much are you guys using start ramps? Any other advise for getting things off the ground out West?

jeffbonny
van.bc.ca

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Good Luck!

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:41 am

jeff nice to see you post and I'm sorry it took so long post something. Look for Airin on this site. she is in Van.

There is also a crew in Calgary trying to lay down a scene.
Many Happy Pumps!

jeff bonny

Post by jeff bonny » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:26 am

Hey Claude
Airin lives across the lane from me and we've run cones more than a few times. I've been in touch with one guy from Calgary and hope to connect n person sometime. Also been in touch with Gareth Roe and some of the Seattle guys and want to get together with them sometime...when it stops raining. If you ever make it out to the west coast I hope we can do some skating too.

I'm going to drive out to Surrey tomorrow and get a Trak Mate timer. I'm kinda excited about that. Maybe sooner than later we can get some races going out here that will attract some of you easterners! The downhill scene here is really strong and I think once some of those super competitive, highly skilled guys get onto slalom there's gonna be a boom.

What's on for a Canadian National Championship race this year?

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:38 pm

you guys run a good slalom race out there and I will be there! For sure! I need some excuses to get out to B.C. again.

jeff bonny

Post by jeff bonny » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:15 pm

Hey Claude,
After reading through your bio I'm wondering what advise you have for a race organization? Is a tax exempt society a good thing? How about dealing with the use of equipment (cones, ramps etc.) owned by a club vs. personal stuff? Race sanctioning vs outlaw and obtaining use of race sites? Insurance and liability issues? And probably a few other things I haven't thought of. Anything you have to say much appreciated.

jeffb
vancouver.bc.ca

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Info!

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Hey Jeff!

Nice to hear from you and I will e-mail you later this week when I have time to put some notes together and answer those questions.
Many Happy Pumps!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Stupid question time from a provincial Colonial:

If I come to the Dovercourt Open, do I now need a passport to get across the border?

Last time I was in Canada was 1995 and it's harder now to get into a football stadium than it was to cross the border at Niagara Falls.

Has all that changed? I just need to know because, well, I don't have a passport. Last one I had expired about 10 years ago. So if it's needed that's something I need to take care of this spring.

Thanks.

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:40 pm

if its anything like us customs, you need two pieces of government issued photo ID.

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:52 pm

Wassup Claude!

Could you send that same e-mail to me too? We're trying to get a couple of races going here too. I'll talk with Naphte Magazine to make their race a bit more official. Here's a vid from last fall: http://www.lebancdecaplans.ca/blog/vid-naphte.html.

And we'll also try for a semi-outlaw here:

Here's the whole hill, view from the top:

View from the bottom:

I'm working on another one in the city and as soon as I can talk about it I'll let you know.
Last edited by Miguel Marco on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Okay!

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:21 pm

No problem Mig! As soon as I can. I just finished the 5' mini-ramp with spines, rollers and 7' vert extension. that road looks sweet. Let me know when it's open for practice, eh!

The Foam arrived yesterday and once I finnish a couple of repairs I build the portable/folding frame for it. All on Wheels.

Then we will try to raise lots of money for the coming year.

Wes you may be okay for this year but the new laws are going to require both Canadian & American residents to possess a passport to cross the borders in the future.
Last edited by Claude Regnier on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Happy Pumps!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:25 pm

Claude,

Thanks. I guess I'll go ahead and get one. Never can tell when I'll have to make a quick get away to the Caymans :-)

It takes our State Department about six weeks to do the deal, so I'll do it and have it in hand no matter what the circumstances.

jeff bonny

Post by jeff bonny » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:50 pm

Starting in 2008 you'll have to have a passport to get into the US from Canada. If you've got one though I'd bring it. I cross the border quite a bit working and even though it isn't law it is becoming more and more expected that you have one and annoying not to. And annoying border officials can be time consuming...

The US Consulate in Vancouver where I got mine had a rush option if you wanted to pay for it.

jeffb
(a yankee dog in beautiful british columbia)

JF Boily

Post by JF Boily » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:11 am

tabarnak mig ! let's ride that hill as soon as snow melts budy! JF & pierre on a few beers !
ibuprofen rock!

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:08 am

jeff bonny wrote: I'm going to drive out to Surrey tomorrow and get a Trak Mate timer. I'm kinda excited about that. Maybe sooner than later we can get some races going out here that will attract some of you easterners!

Did you get the timer Jeff?!

I'm ready for a trial run anytime you are - and anytime the rain stops.

jeff bonny

Post by jeff bonny » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:20 am

Erin Riffel wrote:
Did you get the timer Jeff?!

I'm ready for a trial run anytime you are - and anytime the rain stops.
The Trak Mate guy thought I was asking about a slot car timer when I talked to him on the phone so I drove out to Surrey in a torential downpour and they didn't have a skateboard setup built. I paid for one though. The timer itself, 850' of cable and electric eyes instead of tape switches and I should see it early Feb. I don't know how realistic it is but I'd like to do a few outlaw races this year and get an ISSA sanctioned race on for '07. I might have to buy a vehicle capable of transporting start ramps...

Maybe we can skate the london drugs parkade this week?

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:58 pm

Sounds like an ambitious but do'able plan Jeff.

As for start ramps, Arlo has already offered to help build and transport some.

Yeah weekend parkade skate is definitley needed. I talked to Toby yesterday, he is keen.

Also found another good parkade for cyber....

talk to you soon. Looking forward to that timing system!

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:10 am

Jeff.

I'm in Calgary but home is Vancouver. Keep me posted as to upcoming events, etc. as I'm out your way quite a bit, or looking for more excuses to go anyway!

Who did you speak to out here? Brad or Blair? Someone else? We are looking to get things more organized here on the right side of the bumps.

I am getting hooked!

Chris
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Oh! Oh! Oh!

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:13 am

Da't hill looooooooooooooooooks so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Many Happy Pumps!

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

MIG - WOW

Post by Robert Sydia » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:23 pm

Mig:

Can we have the Ottawa race on that hill, well worth the extra few hours to drive.

Looks amazing, especially the fact that it is a perfect road to no where!!!!

All the best,

Rob

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:34 pm

Rob, dude, that's like a ten hour round trip from Ottawa to that road and back! I don't think it's doable :D. But an outlaw race there, sometime this spring or early this summer definitely is... :)

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:42 pm

I will try my BEST to go to that mig. Thats a very tempting run!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Spring, EH!

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:13 am

Yep, Mig we were just thinking about that. Two or 3 days on that Hill before I leave for Europe would be great!

We're getting close to booking so we'll let you know if were flying out of Ottawa or Montreal. If it's Montreal we'll come and see you for a weekend.

Anyhow if Rob is driving it would only be like 8 hours round trip. then again there is Chris' Dads plane.
Last edited by Claude Regnier on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Happy Pumps!

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Re: Spring, EH!

Post by Chris Barrett » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:26 am

Claude Regnier wrote: Anyhow if Rob is driving it would only be like 8 hours round trip. then again there is Chri's Dads plane.
We'd need to give him a reason to go there...

or money... money works too.

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

Post by Robert Sydia » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:10 pm

WOW - didn't know it was that far away.

Claude - you know my driving style, the only problem is I have a new skate vehicle for the summer months and it does not go fast, so that trip might end up being 14 hours.

Still, that is one hell of a road!!!!!!!!!

Hope all of having a great winter.

Rob

Brad Kasha

timing sys

Post by Brad Kasha » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:50 am

Hi Gang,,,

Claude, I've tried that website that ya gave me for some info on a timing system,,,, I've had no replies back,,, I've read that Jeff in B.C. has had some sucess and have read in the timiing section that the fellow is redesigning a system and so on,,,,,,,,

Basically I just need a price range of what a system would cost,,,,,,,I'm hoping to hook up with some of the local guys and throw some ideas around for the upcoming season....

Once we get together and get a feel for what everbody is feeling,, then I can proceed on getting some things happening around here,,,,,

I'm looking forward to coming out there again and hopefully have a reason for some and /or all of ya come out west.

take care and play safe

Brad Kasha

Post by Brad Kasha » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:55 am

whoops,, I didn't read the latest updated from Jeff,, I guess he didn't have any success yet......

this can be alil frustrating,,,,,,,I'm also gonna try and make contact with Pat Chewning,,,I met him down at the last Seattle race I went toooooo last Aug.

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:10 am

Rad Brad! (ha!)

Let me know if you need any help with putting things together. Forecast for this weekend is sunny and +12, let's see if we can get together for some skating and talking...
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

jeff bonny

Post by jeff bonny » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:46 am

Brad Kasha wrote:whoops,, I didn't read the latest updated from Jeff, I guess he didn't have any success yet......
I'm gonna call tomorrow and see if my Trakmate is ready. I've paid over half and they said they'd be finished early/mid Feb. The whole thing with 800' of cable on a reel and infra-red eyes instead of tape switches was $750CND ($650-ish USD?). For what this system does it seems like a great price...especially compared to the thousands that similar a snow ski race system costs. Hopefuly it's ready and I can pick it up it Sat and put up a report on it this weekend.

jeffb

Sebastien Leger
Seb
Seb

Post by Sebastien Leger » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:56 pm

oh yeah !! that hill look's sweet !!!!!!

mig we have to orginaze a QUEBEC race on that hill before the ottawa race, hihihihihhi

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:29 am

It's on NCDSA.COM, more info to follow as we get everything worked out.
Many Happy Pumps!

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Post by Pierre Gravel » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:41 pm

Check here for info on 2 races in Québec:
viewtopic.php?t=4068

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:22 pm

A bit more info about the Quebec City race here:
viewtopic.php?p=39660#39660