[PVD] why adjustable steering angle?

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Peter Verdone

[PVD] why adjustable steering angle?

Post by Peter Verdone » Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:07 pm

In racing, every equipment advantage you have increases you chance of winning.

Slalom racing is done at various speeds, cone spacing, and offsets. What works on one course may not work well on another.

The ground effect truck was designed to use any steering angle relative to the ground between 0 degree (dead) and around 70 degree (twitch). When combined with axle to axle wheelbase dimension, the front and rear steering angle define the turning arc and rate of change for every degree of deck tilt. This is the heart of your sport.

(See SCIENCE)

These figures are so important that the ground effect racing truck was also designed so that when changing the steering angle, the wheelbase and initial truck height don't change. The key to successful race tuning is to change ONE parameter at a time. My truck is the ONLY design that allows you to have this approach.

Another advantage in my design in reference to steering angle is the ability to have steering angles that are basically impossible on any other truck. Case in point: John Gilmore is riding with his rear truck at about a 10 degree turning angle. This setup was never possible before. He goes real, real fast.

Some people have remarked that it takes too much time swapping the side plates on my trucks. My answers go like this:

1. With the proper tools and practice the time to change angles is greatly diminished.

2. In time you will be able to anticipate the correct angles well enough ahead of time to get most of the major changes done before racing.

3. Lucky you that you can even change the angle of your trucks.