GUS Racing Trucks: Made in Japan

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Glenn S

GUS Racing Trucks: Made in Japan

Post by Glenn S » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:52 am

Michael Stride was using this truck,as a front truck, at the 2003 FCR World Championships, and placed 1st in the Open Class Tight Slalom event with it.

Last edited by Glenn S on Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:07 am

Glenn, you are on top of it consistantly.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:42 pm

Adam,
Not really. Just that on Saturday and Sunday in Morro Bay at the 2003 FCR World Championships I noticed Michael's deck with this truck mounted on it as a front truck. I forget what he was running in the back. And I remembered seeing this truck on slalomskateboarder.com's Japanese member Toshi Yamada's website.

I did not ride Michael's deck but asked him to let me check it out. The action of the truck felt great. The bushings looked to be excellent quality urethane too, and there appeared to be a ball in the pivot cup. It also appeared to have a geometry similar to an Indy 101 or RTX. What struck me the most was the very lively and smooth action of the truck, probably due to the quality bushing and the ball in the pivot cup. I'd like to know more about it and what Michael Stride's feelings are about it too.

Also, if this truck is availiable in Japan it could help to promote Slalom in that country too ;-) !!

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:00 am

Hi Glenn,

I got my Gus truck in a batch of samples form Indiana in Switzerland, as I work with the importers to the UK. I've copied this to HG at 3dm as I believe he might be bringing some over as easy turning trucks for kids, and for tight slalom.

I normally run a Chicken Modded Indy on the front, the one with just a plain 8mm axle. I wanted to test the Gus and just threw it on, slightly wedged, on a Smokestack Pistol and Indy offset rear. I used the v-cut bushings they came with. The angles and feel looked pretty similar to an RTx or Indy 101. I havnt put the Indy back on as I dont feel the need. When I get another Gus I'll probably get geezer x to put an 8mm axle on it just as an experiment. Another reason I left the Gus on was just to have something a little esoteric at the worlds so any tech head would woonder what I was running.

What did set them apart was the pivot point. The truck pivot is inserted into a ball joint, and this makes for a very direct and smooth turn, without a massive leap in feel from a conventional truck. It reduced slop I felt. I havnt tried any other bushings as I'm just happy with it as it is....and my results prove that to me.

I do use Indiana bushings on the rear as they are nice and reboundy too.

I'll try to take some pics soon for you, or HG might have some already.

Michael

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:46 pm

Mike, are you sponsored by Gus now?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:16 pm

Thats an idea!
Actually as an importer with my fingers in many pies, its my duty to try EVERYTHING I sell at some point.
So I guess I sponsor myself. At least I get to pick the team. Up till a couple of weeks before the worlds I was ridng PVDs on a Roe Crossfire, but I think that combo is best for a slightly wider course, not for courses as tight as at Morro.
The Gus's were just a nice truck, I'd be interested to see the US price as I think they could slot in between Trackers/Indys and the modded trucks price-wise.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:23 pm

Here are the pictures. The truck is easy to remove, the ball just seems to add an extra bearing effect to give a smooth turn.