I'm ready to buy some good trucks

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Barry Gourley

Post by Barry Gourley » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:41 am

Ok guys, ive asked this before and ive looked and did a search and really didnt get the ansure im looking for.

What is the BEST ALL AROUND truck?? coning,bowling,street riding, down hilling with out speed wobble.i'm looking for a do all truck so im sure there will be a comon truck that 3 out of 5 guys recamend. Tracker,randal,seismics, I weigh 190 and im building my own board.

thanks Barry
Thanks,
Barry

Barry Gourley

board size

Post by Barry Gourley » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:43 am

the board size is 30-36in X 8in wide
Thanks,
Barry

Glenn S

Tracker RTX / RTS

Post by Glenn S » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:00 am

Hello Barry,
My suggestion is that you get a Tracker RTX for the front truck and a Tracker RTS for a back truck. Get the 106mm hanger width for both.

And then first fix them up with a kingpin swap. Taking the stock 2 1/4" kingpin from the RTS and put it in the RTX. Get a new 2 1/2" kingpin from the hardware store (90 cents max) and put that in the RTS. Put the stock 2" kingpin that came out of the RTX in your spare bolts bin.

Then secondly get some of the high-rebound urethane Radikal bushings in various duros or ask one of the guys here who might suggest for your weight what duros to get in the Radikal bushings. And you might with these bushing want to use just a plain flat washer for both on the top bushings. Typically you'd want a softer bushing up front and a bit harder in the back. The Radikal bushings come in many duros to meet your needs. But since the Radikal's come as 1 1/8" o.d. you'll need to trim the o.d. down to 1" for RTX/S. You can do this by putting the bushing on a bolt like a kingpin and putting that in a drill and get it spinning. Take some 80 grit to it to take it down. Instead of 80 grit I put mine to a benchgrinder. You can even shape them so the top bushing has the cone shape.

Then you've got some great trucks to work with for only $45 or so for the pair which includes, a kingpin swap, and new bushings. Then wedging and de-wedging will change the ride. I've learned most of what I know about truck setup from Steve Evans and Richy Carrasco and their knowledge has helped me a ton. But I have been putting between 1/2" to 5/8" wedge up front with up to 1/4" flat riser added under that for no wheelbite at all ever. And for the back I've gone Flat to 1/2" de-wedge with not as much rise under the wedge since a de-wedge will raise the axle height more than wedging. And toning down the fish-tail feel at speed can be done by using harder duro back bushings and cranking it down a bit more.

My feeling also is that a harder material is better for risers and wedges. Soft rubber wedges and risers are not the best. Why would you want your baseplate to move or flex? If you could make some out of hard wood great.

It is too bad there is not someone producing a good array of wedge angles to work with, so for the front you might have to take a stock wedge and then cut some 1/8" flat risers in quarters, thirds, or halves and add more wedge angle to it this way. And for the back you could just use cut 1/8" risers stacked to make the de-wedge.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Glenn S on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Gourley

Post by Barry Gourley » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:39 pm

THANKS Glenn,

you always have alot of great info to help out.

Barry
Thanks,
Barry

Barry Gourley

Post by Barry Gourley » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:55 pm

Glenn,
where would i find the Radikal bushings??
I've looked at all the sites i have but haven't been able to find them.
Is there a skate shop you all use that sponsores this site?
Thanks,
Barry

Nick Krest

Post by Nick Krest » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:43 pm

Barry Gourley

Post by Barry Gourley » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:05 pm

I went to the Radikal site, found the bushings and was ready to check out but they only take money orders&checks. Anyway do they have a email address or a phone number to contect them????????
Thanks,
Barry

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:05 am

Radikal is supposed to be updating their website to take credit cards, and from what I understand, they can take them over the phone.

Try mccreearch@msn.com or call the number on the website.

BTW...we need to get together and skate, I've got a set of Radikals, you'll flip when you try them out.

The bushings are the best, and you can't go wrong with the Tracker RTX/S combo.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:37 am

Cool thanks Rick. Good luck with your setup Barry. Take Rick up on his offer. He's got some killer spots to skate from the pictures I've seen. and make sure you ask Mark or Keith what Radikal bushing duros to use for your Tracker RTX/S's if you decide to go with them.

Hey Barry, I have found out more about the Radikal bushings is that they are 9/16 tall with a 1 1/8" o.d.. To me this means that Radikal bushings would probably preform best in conventional trucks like the RTX or Indy with an o.d. trim down to about 1". 1" is about the approximate o.d. that I've been trimming my Stimulators down too. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Glenn S on Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Barry Gourley

Post by Barry Gourley » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:13 pm

Rick,
I would love to ride with you but I have just now been able to stand up AND go around the block W/O busting my butt. I did go down to the skate park in Duluth/norcross a few weeks ago with my niece. I rolled down the little ramp and into the bowl and right on my butt, I know it looked funny to anybody that was watching. I board shot out and it was like i just sat down, NOT good for someone that had major back surgery a year ago. Give me a few more months and I "should" be able to pretend I was a good skater in the 70's. I would still love to see y'all skate when there's a race in Alt. The sport i'm good at is motorcycles and dragging a knee around the track & north georgia mountions, but it has taking me 10yrs of hard riding to ride like i do. So i'm guessing it going to take some time to learn to S/B again.

Glenn, I will ask the guys at Radikal if i get the number.
Thanks,
Barry