Base & kingpin inaccuracy

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Base & kingpin inaccuracy

Post by Steve Collins » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:48 am

I'm noticing that every Tracker or Indy baseplate I've got has a discrepancy in kingpin centering. The kingpin does not come up exactly between the mounting holes, as one would hope, but is off to one side slighly. Worse, some of the kingpins are listing slightly, in the plane where they are supposed to be dead vertical.

We spend so much time marking and drilling our decks accurately. Something like this makes a mockery of the whole thing.

So rather than just whine, I'd like to ask who has experience correcting this sort of thing? Who's got this issue dialed?

Thanks!

Glenn S

Re: Base & kingpin inaccuracy

Post by Glenn S » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:33 pm

Steve Collins wrote:So rather than just whine, I'd like to ask who has experience correcting this sort of thing? Who's got this issue dialed?Thanks!
Yes I've had either the base drilled up to 1/8" off, as if they drilled each hole seperately (with a blindfold on) and did not use a precise jig. Or the kingpin hole not drilled perfectly 90* to the base on the Trackers I've bought. I've got a RTS base sitting right in front of me now with a leaning "tower of pisa" kingpin. At the top of the kingpin it is a whole 1/4" off-centered.

I've had good success getting an exchange from Tracker on all my bad stuff. Its a hassle but it works.