Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

What the heck is this thing?

Post by Justin Pannulla » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:20 pm

its ugly!
i looked on ebay under "slalom skateboard" and this thing came up.
what in the hell?
their site is kornerkutter.com there is supposed to be movies of it in action but they dont work.
(i put this under "trucks" because the only thing that looks "special" are the trucks)
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:13 pm

I don't know, but do not let McCree or Wallgren see those things.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:46 pm

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

stroker 2005

Post by Steve Collins » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:39 am

From an earlier discussion over at ncdsa.com, it sounds like it's the rebirth of the stroker.

Eric Brammer

Stroker in the New Age

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:10 am

All one has to do is see HerbN's redo of a Stroker to realize what can, and should be, done with independant-wheel steering on a skateboard. There's a nice set of photos to see on Hugh R's skateboard 'how to' page of Herb's most excellent trucks. These new ones, they're, um, interesting, but I don't think they're quite as good in terms of steering performance. Granted, it was hard to tell from the vids I saw, but, heck, my ol' Hobie Parkrider with Lazers on it would easily out-turn what I saw on the vids, and still go Romp in the bowl or on a ramp. One good thing is that these gadgets do look comfortably overbuilt, but that also means that they're ugly and overweight. Trucks are one area where the addage of 'less is more' does at times make utter and complete sense.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:25 pm

these trucks look beefy, yet cheaply made(they look like die-cast or something)
thanks for posting the pic Ramon,(dont know how to do the special "o" thing, my apologies.)
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Justin Pannulla wrote:these trucks look beefy, yet cheaply made(they look like die-cast or something)
thanks for posting the pic Ramon,(dont know how to do the special "o" thing, my apologies.)
Actually die-casting isn't that "cheap" and you can get much better parts out of it than say. sand casting, like most trucks are...

These things look CNC milled (see the mill lines on the bottom), which is mega bucks for low volume. If these are Stroker style trucks the precision you would need in the parts to make them work couldn't be easily or cheapy done with die-casting for low volume applications.

Take a look at the website, kornerkutter.com, it's a good laugh. They are marketting these things to the flipper market. Marketting a truck the "does a 180 in a 3' radius" to the flipper market where kids want stability and lightweight, not to mention durability, is insane. If anyone would be remotely interested in these things it would be the longboard market, and even then it's doubtful.

Eitherway, they look pointless and over engineered by someone who has no concept of the skateworld.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:03 pm

thanks for the info chris, i didnt even see the CNC lines on the bottom, maybe the reason they look cheap is the Super-generic deck theyre attatched to or the strangely out-of-place-looking Kryptos.
but whatever, theyre huge, i like a simple clean truck, not something that looks like it has an engine inside it.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:07 pm

Oh yeah, and when i said "die-cast", i meant more like "hot-wheels car" die-cast. Hehe!

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:16 pm

Justin Pannulla wrote:Oh yeah, and when i said "die-cast", i meant more like "hot-wheels car" die-cast. Hehe!
That is high volume, low quality die-casting. Die-casting can do good parts but not in this application.

Hell, I ride PVDs...so I know all about over engineered trucks!

:)

Don't think I'll be ordering korner kutters anytime soon. Even the name is lame.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:31 pm

I'll wait until I see Dave Gale's. He buys one of everything.