TS, offset?

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

TS, offset?

Post by Adam Daniels » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:14 am

hey, i know this might sound like a stupid question but do you really need an offset truck for TS? or is an rt-s tracker preferable?

i am just wondering because i am going to try and make myself a TS board with concave and want to know what i am going to be using on it.

so basically what i really need to know is: Is traction as much of a big concern in TS as it is in GS?

i will prolly be running 85mm trackers and stingers
No vestido para mi

Billy Bordy

Offset

Post by Billy Bordy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:42 pm

Hi Adam,

I am very new to SL(3 weeks) and have also "cut" my first board for TS. This week I replaced my rear with a offset truck. It was a large difference in the amount off grip and control. There were several times I felt my tail drift with my tracker in the rear(an rt-X not a rt-S) now I feel like I get a stronger pump and I can stand harder on the tail when the offset of the turn is big ( Martan Drayton is setting hard courses for us (crittle, slid or bail style) I have not tried out my new set up in Cyber SL yet but was running a 30 something cone straight course and felt I could get up to speed in a cone or two less then before. because of the grip.

Hope any of this newbee feed back helps I stand sideways and go around gates all winter long and think I am progressing well for a newbee on wheels. I do feel a big difference in TS with or with out a offset rear.

Also lots of the local fast guys preach the Grippens over the Stingers for you know speed>
2edges.

Billy
www.hardbooter.com
alpine dedicated

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:24 pm

It depends on a few things. Generally an offest rear truck works on softer boards, especially where you are standing between the trucks. The needs and types of traction for GS are much much different than in TS. A little slip in the rear on a TS board is a good thing.

In GS you are mostly standing between the trucks and using the camber of the board to accelerate out of turns. The offest truck gives you a slower turning, more stable and slightly grippier foundation to do this on.

In TS one is usually standing on or over the trucks, though there are a few cases where peple still stand between them (yes you Tucker!) for TS. Since you are over the trucks on a TS deck, even behind the rear truck on some decks you can control the traction much differently. An offset truck isn't needed. It won't hurt you in anyway but does you little good. better to spend the $$$ on wheels. Having the ability to either slide the rear end around to make a tough offset cone or brake into a technical section is key. Also having some extra turn in the rear (a non-offset) truck is good too, it helps you angulate around tough offsets.

A RT-X (f)/ RT-S (r) combo with 8mm axles is 'da bomb for a TS setup.

In a bigger picture I'm of the opinion offset trucks aren't needed, period. Good solid 8mm axles (on even the worst trucks) will get you more grip and performance anyday of the week on anyboard over some fancy offset. Even floppy decks.

The split-fire design though does give a very "solid" feel under the rear foot for most people, there is a benefit in that and from those I have talked to over the years about the TTC/Split fire design that "stability" seems to be the thing people like abut them. I know when I rode for Turner Downhill I loved a TTC on the back of my GS/Hybrid decks, while on my Fullnose or Needlenose Turners good old Fulltracks or Midtracks (front and back) felt better for everything. Then again classic turners always felt better with gnarly pivot trackers...

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:15 pm

cool, thats what i need to know.

would 85mm trackers (mid-tracks right?) be good for TS?
No vestido para mi

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:30 pm

Adam Daniels wrote:cool, thats what i need to know.

Are they Midtracks or chopped RT-X/Ss?

As I remember (it's been awhile) it went like this (hanger widths);
Half-Tracks = 42mm
Mid Tracks = 80mm
Full-Tracks = 106mm
Ex-Tracks = 120mm
Six-tracks = 160mm

I'm sure you could search NCDSA under "ur13" or "trackers" (in the trucks forum) and find my posts about trackers from back in 2001/02 or so. I used to post alot over there about technical stuff. For that matter if you are searching NCDSA do a search for posted by: "John Gilmour" or "Chris Chaput" from around 2000 and 2001 in the slalom forum. Those should be required reading for any slalom newb.

85mm hangers with avalons should work very well for TS. Though TS meaning sub 6'oc, even smaller. More open "tight" courses that narrow of a truck might feel too squirrely and tippy.

Levi Hill

Post by Levi Hill » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:38 am

Adam Daniels wrote:cool, thats what i need to know.

i run midtracks on my axe, and love it for TS and hybrid stuff