Back Truck

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:45 pm

I have a question about rear trucks. What makes a rear truck a good rear truck? I understand that we rely on the rear truck for a large part of our raction on a course, but what determins the amount of traction?

I found this company online called <a href="http://www.o-shock.com/">o-shock</a> and somehow the question popped into my head. The O-Shock trucks are probably not good slalom trucks, but the concept was interesting.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
slalom is good

Mark McCree
Radikal Trucks
Radikal Trucks

Post by Mark McCree » Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:12 am

The oh-oh shock truck looks just like any other conventional truck- even the animation.

I hve loved watching 30 years of truck design go by. You get to see all kinds of weird stuff. This is one of them.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:41 am

On 1st inspection it looks much like a regular truck. Certainly nothing earth-shattering on their web page.

However, if you look up the patent, there is a much better picture:

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=US0 ... /6,367,819

That picture shows more clearly that this truck has a couple of new features:
1) A 3rd bushing for shock absorbtion
2) A threaded hollow sleeve which is used to independently compress the "steering" bushings from the "shock absorber" bushing.

So I think this has more "hidden" features than might 1st be apparent.

-- I haven't ridden on any, so I can't say whether or not it works, but it looks plausible from the drawings.

-- Pat Chewning

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pat Chewning on 2002-12-21 01:45 ]</font>

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:46 am

All I can say about the rea truck since riding the Novasid this year is that the extra stability and power you generate from a rear suspension (type) truck is unmatched in a regular truck. I'm not saying the Novasid is any better. I've never tried the others to this point. I'm just saying that since trying that concept I'm cinvinced.

I never thought I would need it want it for TS courses. The design has proven me wrong. When I can afford them I will them they will be on all of my Slalom boards.

All the new trucks seem to be pretty good. Everyone has their favorites. I don't think there is anyone out there that does not believe in the Idea of the rear supspension truck and it's benefits.