why not titanium axles?

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Peter Verdone

Post by Peter Verdone » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:22 pm

The way that wheels have traditionally been attached to the truck of a skateboard, with one side unsupported, does not lend itself to the use of titanium.

Titanium is a very poor choice of materials for this task. It is quite light and sounds cool but it is very flexible. Like a rubber band or a leaf spring it will flex, absorbing that energy, only to unleash it at the worst time.

Flexibility and control are not often used in the same sentence (except this one).

My design uses a high quality hardened chromoly alloy, precisely machined to prevent breakage. They attach to the truck similar to bicycle pedals, using mating faces for support rather than the threads.

This helps to ensure that my axles work to form the stiffest, strongest, fastest, most precise handling skate truck ever made.

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Sat May 24, 2003 7:27 pm

I was at your site, and I noticed that your new truck, the R3, has gone to a titanium axle. What happened?!?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun May 25, 2003 3:37 am

DeaR mR Kilner, Pete is in NY so I will aswer for you. HE made a few sets of Ti axels to see what the difference would be from Steel. I believe part of this came from him drinking beer with "mr Titanium" MArk Mcree. Anyway, Me and Mike Dong and I think Attila got a set and liked how they rode plus they were lighter so he went ahead and made them stock on his new trucks. I like steel just the same but the Ti is lighter for sure. Some guys say Ti is a damper ride but I can't tell. Hope this helped, TK

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Tue May 27, 2003 9:41 am

Interesting...

So what are the school of thought on making the truck itself out of titanium instead of aluminum?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:44 am

why would you want to? Aluminum is strong, light and pretty.