[PVD] why turn limit screws?

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Peter Verdone

[PVD] why turn limit screws?

Post by Peter Verdone » Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:20 pm

WHEEL BITE! Plain and simple.

Wheel bite not only slows you down but is a very dangerous situation that can cause a high side crash.

The ground effect racing truck has turn limit screws, that when properly set, will prevent any chance of this ever happening.

Other benefits of this design is the amount that the deck can be lowered to the ground when you limit the wheel/deck clearance to only that needed for turning through on a given course. Because of this, my truck can provide deck heights far lower than any other truck even while providing a very loose setup.

Some riders on my truck have even started to set the turn limit screw well before the necessary limit. They say that this allows them to load the deck with far more energy for even faster exits from the turns. This method brings deck flex and truck steering to a tunable point that maximizes both potentials.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:34 am

On 2002-11-29 08:20, Peter Verdone wrote:
Some riders on my truck have even started to set the turn limit screw well before the necessary limit. They say that this allows them to load the deck with far more energy for even faster exits from the turns. This method brings deck flex and truck steering to a tunable point that maximizes both potentials.
Peter,
Correct me if I'm wrong. Are you saying that you set the trun limit screw so you have less turn or pivot in the truck available? And that this way your energy going into the pump will make the deck flex more if you limit the truck from pivoting more.

You'd set the turn limit for just what is needed to make it through the course?

This is a very interesting concept.
Glenn

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glenn on 2002-12-13 22:36 ]</font>

Peter Verdone

Post by Peter Verdone » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:45 pm

this is a very important concept for my setting up my trucks.

1. turn limit screws should be set so that you can just tap the screw when cleaning the course at full speed.

2. once this is done, deck should be lowered so that the wheels at full turn have about 3/16" of clearence between the deck. this gives you the lowest setup possible.

3. now, any extra energy put into the system results, not in turning, but into deck flex, thus exit velocity and pump.

cool stuff!!!