Lazer truck; Narrow v Wide; advice and clarification needed

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Mmedo Duffort

Lazer truck; Narrow v Wide; advice and clarification needed

Post by Mmedo Duffort » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:38 pm

There seems to be a big debate surrounding the Lazer truck.
Lazer used to make a narrow truck (freestyle) and a wider one (slalom); now, having tried a set of the slalom ones I feel they would definitely be worth a by. Problem is they don't come by that often, and when they do, they tend to cost a fortune. Now for a fraction of the price you can still find NOS Lazer sets of the narrow kind.
Everybody seem to think that they are useless. Why is that?
My simple mind would have concluded that if you put a spacer on each side of the hanger of a narrow truck, tadaa, you got a wide truck. Isn't it the case? why not?
the real question is, is it worth forking out for a set of narrow lazers while they are still available or are they just crappy old trucks?

Thanks.
Last edited by Mmedo Duffort on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="https://www.pavelskates.com">Pavel Skates</a>

Spike Taylor

Gus?

Post by Spike Taylor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:03 pm

Using a spacer sounds like a reasonable solution, but i don't think those trucks had long enough axles to do that.
If you are looking for a cheaper good truck, i love my Gus truck. It looks a bit like a Tracker crossed with an Indy, but has a ball joint at the pivot. If you're less than 15 stone you should be OK, if you're a fat knacker, steer slear 'cos they were designed by small japanese skaters for small japanese skaters ;)
You may have to hunt the net but i think they are still popular in Switzerland, one of their guys won acouple of world titles on them plus I think mike stride won on them too!

Spike.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Mmedo Duffort

Narrow Lazer

Post by Mmedo Duffort » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:45 pm

i heard of those japanes truck; at only ten stones, i should be fine on them...
I am effectively after an alternative front truck to a splitfire. I like the split as a rear, but i feel that as a front i had more snap on the rtx i started with.
How hard is it to change an axle on a truck?
Last edited by Mmedo Duffort on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Brammer

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:49 am

Mmendo, if you take on old Lazer 'narrow' truck, and replace the Axle with a straight, trued 8mm axle that's 115mm long (or so), you'll have a GREAT slalom truck! The issues with the narrower Lazers were simply wheel grip from the standard 5/16" axle (they're not bad, just not as good as they could've been; Same story for Tracker, Energy, Bennett, ACS, etc.), and that we now tend towards wider decks, which overpower narrower trucks in steering leverage. Other things to consider were the lower kingpin nut and adjunct threading into the baseplate, where a loosely set nut would create threading slop in the baseplate, or an overtight nut might 'stretch' the baseplate threading to the point that the kingpin might not uncouple completely. Bushing rot, as the Original bushings were REAL RUBBER, of course now, there's Bennett's, Holey's, and Khiro's if you're willing to shim the cushions with extra washers. The pivot cups are hard to replace, BUT, there are QuadRollerSkate parts that work (bushings, kingpins, nuts, pivot-cups, washers, etc.) if you know where to dig for them. Later LAZER trucks, ones meant for park/bowl riding were stronger, but a bit less nimble, and taller + wider at the axle. Great trucks nonetheless, and rarely equalled or surpassed in quality or turning performance.
BTW, my LAZERS, the narrow type, reside(usually) on a HOBIEFLEX along with some Blue+Pink Kryptonics C-62's, just like it was '77 again. That board will absolutely rip down a constant-set course or cyberslalom, but the lack of width makes wide offsets a challenge. So, it's the width, and axle/bushing set-up that curtail these trucks in performance, not their age!
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Mmedo Duffort

axle change

Post by Mmedo Duffort » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks for the help so far,
how do I replace an axle? do I just hit as hard as I can until it comes off or is there a subtle way? also, where do I buy a longer axle from?
I'm really hooked on the idea of a modified truck!

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:34 pm

If I remember correctly, GUS trucks are a bear/if not impossible to replace axles. So I wouldn't go that route. Just food for thought ! Eric is dead on with the short comings of Lazers, and they are great, given the mods he suggests.
ENJOY!! (while you can)