Making slalom trucks out of old skateboard trucks

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Hakim Abdul

Post by Hakim Abdul » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:35 pm

you guys recon that i could change my old skateboard trucks into slalom trucks by like changing the angle and bushings? and which trucks should i get if i cant convert the skateboard trucks?

hak

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:52 pm

hak, you can ride your board the way it is now around some cones or cups. You don't need to change anything if you don't want to spend any money.

If you want to go faster, you might want to look into getting a slalom specific skateboard.

You can put one together from individual vendors, purchase equipment used or a complete.

Check http://www.bahneskateboards.com for a good complete that is reasonable in price.

----------

You are from Germany/Afghanistan? Cool. Thanks for dropping by. I realize that Germany is a large country but there is an extremely knowledgable slalom skater in Germany that frequants http://www.slalomskateboarder.com His name is Chris Eggers, maybe you want to give him an Private Message at the site and see if you are close. He is a nice person, I recon he will be able to help you in person if you are close.

Best Regards.
On 2003-03-25 16:35, hakim abdul wrote:
you guys recon that i could change my old skateboard trucks into slalom trucks by like changing the angle and bushings? and which trucks should i get if i cant convert the skateboard trucks?

hak

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:46 am

Hakim, feel free to do what Adam suggested and leave your trucks like they are. You can use every skateboard truck as a slalom truck because every truck should be able to turn, it is just a question of how good they will perform.
Please get in contact with us.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Eggers on 2003-03-26 01:53 ]</font>

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:33 pm

Yes it has been done- and with tremendous rider success.

Luca Giammarco has taken an older Double Deck truck -similar to a Bennett, and hacked at its width to make a slalom race worthy truck that has probably more wins than any other truck.

You can see a shot of this truck in Kenny Mollica's Paris video. The Letters "D-O-U-B-L-E D-E-C-K" read "O-U-B-L-E D-E-C" now on Luca's rear truck.

Certainly an extensive and possible extremely risky modification.

But Now it can be made possible by Geezer-X. Cost for the Double Deck trucks??? Well they were manufacturered in Europe. I think near Holland. I would start checking basements within walking distance of high schools and middle schools that were in existance in the mid 1970's.

This Double deck Dual action truck has the kingpin inverted.....you won't find that design on a lot of today's skateboard trucks. Best of all- no Nyloc nuts to wear out. Also parts are field replaceable should you find yourself slaloming behind the former Iron curtain.

This truck on a Logan earth Ski or Plankkr modern day model would get you close to what (handicap or advantage) Luca is experiencing when riding in competitions.

Realistically though--- some vert trucks just won't turn enough for slalom. The smaller dimensions left for grommets don't lend to easy modifications. Buy or trade stuff for good slalom trucks. Start with an inexpensive set of Trackers or Seismics with a tracker S-track in the rear.

If cash is a problem but shipping costs are not- I suggest trading some items for a good set of slightly used trucks.