Skateparks near Gaithersburg , Md.?

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Skateparks near Gaithersburg , Md.?

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:51 pm

Hey East-coasters....Since we're driving in 12 hours to get to the Gathering, we'd like to hit at least one nice skatepark while we're out there too. Are there any decent parks near the G4 site?...The map doesnt show any direct route to Landsdowne. Is Potomac Mills or St Mary's very far from Gaithersburg?....or since we're coming down from Michigan, anyplace decent between the two that you know of?....
Chris B

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:55 am

Christopher, Vans is less than an hour South of Gaithersburg distancewise, but the traffic probably brings it close to an hour long trip. I’ve never gone from G-burg to the Vans park, so I could be overestimating the travel time.

If you can hit Columbus Ohio, they have a concrete park with a nice cloverleaf bowl. The town has signs directing skaters to the park.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:03 am

Charles County skatepark (near Waldorf, MD) is closer than St.Mary’s County park, and supposedly better too (I’ve never been to St.Mary’s).

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:05 am

Charles County skatepark (near Waldorf, MD) is closer than St.Mary’s County park, and supposedly better too (I’ve never been to St.Mary’s).

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:36 am

On a clean shot, Vans is about an hour from G'burg. Traffic in the mixing bowl (I495 meets 395 meets 95) can add 5-30 minutes.

Lansdowne is also about an hour, but is a semi-bust lately. It is a great OLD park where they've added some new 'crete. They will add a street area this spring and open soon, but I doubt by May 1.

There's a possible relief valve if you get kicked from Lansdowne, another 'crete park in "Carrol Park" just minutes away. I've never been there, but I hear that it is sub-par.

I have yet to skate St. Mary's or Charles county.

ALSO - the Frederick, MD park MIGHT be open by then. It is 20-30 minutes away from G'burg. We kinda barged it a couple of weekends ago. The baby pool and clover need finish coats, and there's at least two sections of vert that were jackhammered to be redone.

I can hook you up with links for pics of all of the above places (with the exception of Carrol Park) if you're having trouble finding info. Also can give directions to most, from G'burg.

Q

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:24 am

Thanks folks.....it looks like we at least have a few options in that area....if that falls out, we can hit that place in mid-Oh that Wes is talking about (Westerfield or something like that)...that new park may be the best bet..last year we his Landsdown and it was filled with dirt...we'll be bringing brooms and towels this year though...3 weeks to go!

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Skateparks in and around Gaithersburg, MD

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:20 pm

Christopher, All of the advice you've been given is good. There is also a city-built (typical ramps and other features) skatepark in Gaithersburg, less than 2 miles from The Gathering site, and an even better ramp park (Ramptech-built) in Rockville, the next city south of Gaithersburg. Clearly these parks are not quite as nice as all of the new, concrete parks in the region, but they are considerably closer and more convenient.

http://www.ci.gaithersburg.md.us/poi/de ... 107;84;343;

and

http://www.rockvillemd.gov/skatepark/

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:55 am

Thanks Andy...those may work for me, but i'm not at the same level in vert as some of the guys i'm driving down with..I'll see what the other say...a few of them can rip up a park and they may want to find a pool...but i like the idea of having options nearby too....22 more days...

John Dillon

Yo Chris Bara!

Post by John Dillon » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:07 am

You guys should hit up the knarly Polish Hill Bowl in the Pittsburg area along the way. Waldorf, actually White Plains Regional Park, Charles County Skate Park is 1-1.5 hrs from G-burg on a weekend day with no traffic screw-ups, ST Mary's(STM) is another 35-40 mins further south, but the cheap $4 entry fee and nice tight cloverleaf is worth the trip. Lansdowne is bust-city as construction continues on the modular section of the park out in the field.How that interfere's with the concrete part of the sk8 park, I don't know...probably distracts the workers...makes 'em work slower. Baltimore City's Carroll Park's concrete sk8 park is actually a great place for tattoo removal, plus it's small and broom-finished...Cabbage & I checked it out back in the fall. Frederick's new crete probably won't be done yet and neither will Arlington's...come back later this summer, though! Don't forget the stand alone skate-lite Stafford Bowl, a Noah's arc gemlocated 35 miles south of Vans off I-95...then, of course, you know about Vans, Potomac Mills...always a fun indoor place to sk8. A good lil sk8 park w/a spine ramp and your typical phun boxes too is Dunkirk...in northern Calvert County(free and 1 hr away-no traffic) plus...if u want the modular types....the sk8 parks in Mt Airy, Ramptech's Westminster, Columbia,steel- Cockeysville, Dundalk, Glen Burnie....but if u want that type just go closer to Rockville or gaithersburg as Andy mentioned. Or swing wide and hit up FDR in Philly!?Or try Lancaster,PA's funky crete, full-pipe included, 2.5 hrs away, maybe a lil less, no traffic....but I always run into traffic...traffic is everywhere here! Good Luck, Chris, and fellow Motor-city skaters...c y'all in a couple weeks at G4!