2004 WINTER OUTLAW RACES

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Jack Quarantillo

2004 WINTER OUTLAW RACES

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:34 pm

as posted on page 2 of the "Summer Outlaw Series" thread

DC Winter Outlaw Series

October 2nd – Park and Ride (held on 10/3)
October 30th – Banked Slalom at Lansdowne
November 13th - Park and Ride
December 4th - Park and Ride
December 11th – Park and Ride/Rain Date
December 18th – Park and Ride/Rain Date

Please comment on this schedule.

Dan Mitchell

10/30 Bank Slalom

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:58 am

What is the start time for the bank slalom at Landsdowne??
I was there today, 10/23, and the attendant said he thought maybe they were opening early for us, but really hadn't a clue.

Met a new old skooler and told him to check here for the correct time.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:39 am

Hey PADan!
How was Lansdowne today? We'd gone there for the past 2 Sundays...

We wanted to skate some newer concrete, Plus Bertleboy and I are learning how to drop in, so we hit Arlington this morning. Not sure where tomorrow's wind will blow us...

Q

John Dillon

Lans Halloween Banked Park Slalom...this sat oct 30th

Post by John Dillon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:24 pm

This is an outlaw race...park opens at noon...if we get tossed out then we can slalom nearby...elbow/knee pads & helmet required...costume mandatory! Anything else...lbk? BP?? Cost: FREE 17 and under must have their parents sign them up for a free card to skate the park, though u can sk8 in the parking lot padless and w/o a registration card.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Re: Lans Halloween Banked Park Slalom...this sat oct 30th

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:13 pm

John Dillon wrote:This is an outlaw race...park opens at noon...if we get tossed out then we can slalom nearby...elbow/knee pads & helmet required...costume mandatory!
There’s a chance of rain on Saturday. Is there a possibility of changing the race to Sunday afternoon?
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:40 pm

There’s a chance of rain on Saturday. Is there a possibility of changing the race to Sunday afternoon?
Wes,
If there had been a rain date scheduled along with the race date, you wouldn't have to even ask that question.

How many times does this have to happen before we start anticipating the possibility of inclement weather , and therefore have an alternate plan in place well before the race date?

Maybe the plan would be to race in the rain. Or re-schedule to the rain date. Or cancel the race altogether. At least there would be some forethought and pro-active planning.

Instead of last minute knee-jerk reactions to bad weather.

Mike Ohm

Outlaw

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:02 pm

Kevin, I am going to re-name your organization.

Pennsylvania Interstate Slalom Skateboarders Yeehaw

Acronym- PISSY

Just be happy we have one of the best areas in North America for racing. No other area has as many races as we do.

Maybe you should PM or e-mail the race organizer with your concerns.

BTW, there are rain dates listed for races held at the Park and Ride.

[/b]

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:31 pm

Mike,
While you're at it, why don't you rename the DC Outlaws the DC Locals?

I have to drive 180 miles to get to "one of the best areas in North America for racing". And I'll gladly do it many times in the future. I just wish the race dates would be a little more "locked down", and with a backup plan. Just like the Farm 2004.

BTW, Wes was talking about the banked slalom event being changed from Saturday to Sunday; didn't see that scheduled as a rain date. That is the kind of reaction I'm talking about. As soon as the weather looks "iffy" for race day, someone suggests changing it. Easy for the locals to adjust to; not so easy for PISSY slalomers.

I have discussed this problem with a couple of race organizers.

That PISSY enough for ya? Did I use the word "PISSY" too many times?

Mike Ohm

Outlaw

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:55 pm

Kevin, I just wish people would take their concerns straight to the person involved in making the decisions. Your bolded rant was obvious as to whom it was directed to. Take it to e-mail or just call the person. YOu might find that person may listen to you.

I do realize the dedication to drive 3 hours. Can't say I would do it consistantly, but VA BEach is 4 hours and NJ is 3 hours and NY is 4 hours. Myself and others have spent thousands flying across this great country for the love of our sport. We all make choices. Sometimes they just don't work out.

BTW, that DC Locals comment was pissy. Got any hills in PA?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:52 pm

Now, now my children settle down.

There is no rain date on Sunday. If it rains on Saturday as far as I am concerned the race is cancelled. The reason for this is I cannot commit to two days. I have one or two Saturdays that I know I can skate per month. If it rains on one of those days then that is too bad for me.

The schedule as posted at the beginning of this thread is it. (by the way, thanks Jack Q) The rain dates are the rain dates.

The only change was for the Landsdown reopening which changed the date from Saturday to Sunday.

As far as I am concerned the schedule is locked down. If it rains on the day of the event then the event will be made up on the rain dates as listed.

I read Wes’s post as only a recommendation.

The almighty slalom guru of the Mid Atlantic says……rain dates are only as listed above. If for some reason we do not need to make up an event on one of the rain dates then the rain dates can be fun days or another scheduled race day….let it be written so the masses don’t wander aimlessly through the desert of cones and falling down the hill of despair.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Re: Halloween @ Lansdowne.

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:00 pm

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a Halloween race being very popular in December.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:34 pm

Wow, I thought this was supposed to be fun. We all should feel very grateful that Brian puts in as much effort in this series as he does, I know I do!

Thanks, Brian

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:52 pm

Jeff Boswell wrote:We all should feel very grateful that Brian puts in as much effort in this series as he does, I know I do!
I am grateful to Brian, and my post was not directed at him primarily. John Dillon is the person organizing the Lansdowne bank slalom race, at least from where I saw it.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:09 pm

With a group like ours every race is a Halloween race.

We are all freaks, like it or not.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:27 pm

Brian Parsons wrote:With a group like ours every race is a Halloween race.

We are all freaks, like it or not.
(X) Best of SlalomSkateboarder.com

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:14 am

man i miss hangin out with you guys...i should be at the race on the 13 so ill possibly see you then. This bickering just makes me miss it all cause this stuff amuses the hell out of me. I cant believe i just used the word bicker and im not even 16 yet...have a good race if it goes down and if not well then have a happy halloween and i think a halloween race in december would be great as long as its not on the weekend for the second dci camp. Ill hopefully talk to you guys later.

Mike Ohm

Landsdowne

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:26 pm

Can anyone post directions to Landsdowne coming up 95 from VA.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:58 pm

Point your favorite mapping website to:

3326 Bero Rd.
Lansdowne, Maryland 21227

-or-

95N to 695E,
Take Exit 9 (Lansdowne/Hollins Ferry Rd)
Turn Right off of Ramp onto Hollins Ferry Rd.
Go to top of hill and turn Right onto Bero Rd.
Follow Bero Rd. -almost- to bottom of the hill.
Sharp left (you'll see a big wooden gate) is the road to the park.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:23 pm

ill see yall tomorrow at 12! going to arlington from 8-10 if anyone wants to join me.
As for the bitching... its just skateboarding. If it is that important to you, run the races on your own, or just do it solo. I dont understand the huge deal. I have driven 4 hours to North Carolina only to find that the pool was a bust and sure i was a little annoyed, but what does getting mad ever get you? I had a solo session at wanchese instead and was happy. Ive been to PA and there are some good places to skate.

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:58 pm

hey seth, anthony and jp will be up for a mornin' sesh @ arlington tomorrow. frank's gonna be there too. see ya there!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Lansdowne banked slalom, Oct 30.

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:50 am

The call for rain has been lifted!!!

See ya @ noon!

I'm gonna try to make some early runs @ Arlington too.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

The Bigger Picture

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:12 am

I dont understand the huge deal.
That's right, you don't. I worry about the future of slalom skateboarding. I don't like to see slalom events cancelled due to bad weather. That's all my post was about. Period.

I prefer cones to grinds; that's why I post on slalomskateboarder.com.
If it is that important to you, run the races on your own
PaDan, Yvonne, and I ran 2 races at the Gaithersburg Park and Ride last summer. How many have you run? How many have you showed up early for to help setup?

A little friendly advice; get a girlfriend and you wouldn't have so many solo sessions.

Brian Gilbert

man this sucks

Post by Brian Gilbert » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:36 am

Holy Crap, Its a race, its still on ,and its gonna be fun. the key word being fun. so get over it ,come and race, and have a fun day. this is skateboarding not the end of the world. thanks to john and Brian for putting these things on. hope to see you all tommarow.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:48 am

This is <b>slalom</b>skateboarder.

KMG and Yvonne have done a lot fot the sport.

Please listen to Kevin.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:56 am

My 2cents....

Kevin and Yvonne ARE part of the DC races. They are both part of why I like coming down from NYC to race with you guys. I too have a 4 hour drive if I want to come race in DC (which is the most fun I have racing anywhere) or it is 4 hours in the car with Noah...either way it is 8 hours in a car for the day just to standing in a parking lot and roll down a hill. I've raced there in freezing cold to full summer sun and almost everything in between. I've even come down and been rained out, turned around and went home....

So everyone just chill. We all have fun at these races. Everyone has a point....

:-)

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:28 am

This is good entertainment in between races... ;)

See ya at the 'downer.

Q

Seth Levy

Re: The Bigger Picture

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:
I dont understand the huge deal.
That's right, you don't. I worry about the future of slalom skateboarding. I don't like to see slalom events cancelled due to bad weather. That's all my post was about. Period.

I prefer cones to grinds; that's why I post on slalomskateboarder.com.
If it is that important to you, run the races on your own
PaDan, Yvonne, and I ran 2 races at the Gaithersburg Park and Ride last summer. How many have you run? How many have you showed up early for to help setup?

A little friendly advice; get a girlfriend and you wouldn't have so many solo sessions.
I usually DO come early and help out. sweeping or whatever i can help with. Im sorry if you like to skate in the rain, most people dont like to ruin their bearings and such. also its dangerous. i think cancelling for rain is a better idea for you cause if we cancel the race ahead of time then you dont have to drive and go back. Oh yeah and i do have a girlfriend.

Mike Ohm

oUtLaW

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:37 pm

Hey, this was just a little friendly Chop Busting of KMG by me. This may be a public forum but none of you were invited to chime in. Go BOB for apples!

See you at Landsdown. On the podium!

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:35 pm

9:30 wet in leesburg but no rain. Looks like its might be drying. Hopefully it will clear very soon.

Typical outlaw weather situation. Who knows?

I will be there at noon.

Anthony Smallwood

downer

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:23 pm

10:30 in DC and it's still pretty damn wet out. Just got a care package from O'Shei with a sweet new SMA pool/park board that I can tell is faaaaassst!
You guys are lucky I'm injured. Oh well, maybe next time. Have fun.

Also, for the brave.....there is a party at Signal 66 in DC tonite.
After 10 years they've lost their lease, so tonite is the last throw down.

BP call me 202-607-1495

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:26 pm

Everyone talking about driving four hours this way and four hours that way.
What a bunch of pikers.
See y'all in two weeks.

Hey, any of you die-hard, hard core skaters making it to that bastard 66's outlaw STANDUP DOWNHILL race next weekend? It's in Bogart on the same street as the Friday night outlaw race was during the Red Clay race. Push off, tuck, scream, go through a time trap, fastest of the day takes it all home. $5 to drop.

Take 95 South to Richmond, get on 85, turn left at Commerce, Ga. You can't miss it. Well, actually you ca, but you get the idea.

I got two weekends of racing back to back with one heading south and the other heading north. What a great time to be skating!

Mike Ohm

Landsdowne

Post by Mike Ohm » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:03 pm

Thanks to Dillon, Parsons and LBK for another great race. Landsdowne proved to be a viable spot for Banked Slalom. The course was Fast and Fun. Question is , who is gonna beat Cabbage. I gave it my all but could'nt close the gap. Everytime I got closer, Cabbage bettered his own time. I ended up .3 away...maybe next time.

John Dillon

Lansdowne Banked Slalom

Post by John Dillon » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:19 pm

A great time was had by all the racers at saturday's race....Mr Fog hung in there longer than the weatherman said he would...but the crete dried after a bit of a delay. Gilbert will be posting the results but I remember some of them: 1st Cabbage, 2nd Ohm, 3rd Parsons, 4th Brian Lee, 5th Lbk, that's all I remember. Anyways, we had some newbies: Brian Lee, Allan ?,Dan Dixon, andyoung'uns: Jason Minor, Mike, & Austin. we even let a couple inliners do it for the fun of it. PaDan and WesE were in the chase too.

At first, the newbies were looking at this race as a piece of cake...but out of the first half-dozen racers, just one person had made it thru the course....Mike came up to me after slamming his butt and said "I quit"....but he did so well in practice that I told him to chill out for awhile then go back and try it again, which he did.....all in all the 1 hour jam format worked very well and it was a lot of fun. Cabbage gave up some nice Sergio Gravity Wheels as a prize for 2nd and Ohm relinquished them to young'un Mike. Mike was later seen by me rolling around in the parking lot at mach speed..he was so stoked. Thanks to everyone for helping the new folks out....we now have several locals who will try our courses whenever we show up......you folks are great! Thanks also to Cabbage, BP, Lbk, Ohm, PaDan and WesE for setting the course and BP for the timer. We will do this again!!

John Dillon

Lansdowne Banked Slalom

Post by John Dillon » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:20 pm

A great time was had by all the racers at saturday's race....Mr Fog hung in there longer than the weatherman said he would...but the crete dried after a bit of a delay. Gilbert will be posting the results but I remember some of them: 1st Cabbage, 2nd Ohm, 3rd Parsons, 4th Brian Lee, 5th Lbk, that's all I remember. Anyways, we had some newbies: Brian Lee, Allan ?,Dan Dixon, andyoung'uns: Jason Minor, Mike, & Austin. we even let a couple inliners do it for the fun of it. PaDan and WesE,Q and Bertleboy were in the chase too.

At first, the newbies were looking at this race as a piece of cake...but out of the first half-dozen racers, just one person had made it thru the course....Mike came up to me after slamming his butt and said "I quit"....but he did so well in practice that I told him to chill out for awhile then go back and try it again, which he did.....all in all the 1 hour jam format worked very well and it was a lot of fun. Cabbage gave up some nice Sergio Gravity Wheels as a prize for 2nd and Ohm relinquished them to young'un Mike. Mike was later seen by me rolling around in the parking lot at mach speed..he was so stoked. Thanks to everyone for helping the new folks out....we now have several locals who will try our courses whenever we show up......you folks are great! Thanks also to Cabbage, Q,BP, Lbk, Ohm, PaDan and WesE for setting the course and BP for the timer. We will do this again!!

Aaron Morris

Post by Aaron Morris » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:22 am

Is there going to be racing this weekend? I'm itching to race agian after sitting out the worlds because of a broken ankle. What time do they start again? -Aaron

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:45 am

I really want to race too. I havent made it out to one since the beginning of summer and i might not make it to another one in a long time so i really want to get out there this weekend.

John Dillon

Gimp Division...

Post by John Dillon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:55 pm

Yo Aaron! Maybe you, me and Smallwood can race in the Gimp Division since we are on injured reserve?

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:04 pm

I can't believe any of you are complaining about this! You know how far I live from the park and ride??? do you?!? FIVE MILES!! Do you know what time I have to get up?? 9:30 Do you know what thats like?!? (I swear to god if these races were any more convenient, I would have to kill myself) I'm excited to see everyone, and probably meet more people considerign I've only been to three races...

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:20 pm

DC Outlaw races are too far away, start too early, finish too late and are crap.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:39 am

Yeah, and Vlad's parents were French.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:15 pm

OK, time to start considering conditions on Saturday.

I asked BP this question last night and he was a little unsure of the answer, so I'll spring it on the rest of the crowd to see what y'all can tell me. The weather right now looks like rain all day Friday in Gaithersburg and then cold and cloudy Saturday.

Here's my question: if it is cloudy and damp on Saturday, WILL THE PAVEMENT DRY OUT? Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy coming up to DC for the races, but driving a thousand miles to stand around all afternoon waiting for slippery asphalt to clear up is not my idea of a fun trip.

Being a true deep southerner, I am unfamiliar with the ways of winter roads up north. Will a day's worth of downpour drain and dry out over night with little or no sun on Saturday morning? Also, if the forecast is correct, I can guess it will be rather mild with little or no breeze. It's hard to be cloudy and windy at the same time. That's even more reason to wonder about conditions on Saturday.

Anybody willing to step up to the plate and give me a heads up as to what to expect?

Thanks.

Mike Ohm

DC

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:48 pm

Wes T, NOAA.com says rain early on friday, saturday will be partly cloudy with a high of 44. I think it should be dry by saturday if it only rains in the am.

Your call bro. It will be cold but the racing will be HOT!

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:30 pm

Ohm’s right, a slow moving cold front will bring occasional rain on Friday but the rain is expected to end early Friday evening. The chance of rain on Saturday is only ten percent with high temps in the mid to upper forties. The winds are supposed to be from the North at fifteen to twenty miles per hour. Even if the pavement is a little damp in the morning with those kinds of winds it should dry out quickly.

This my opinion and only my opinion, you know what they say about opinions.

I think we need Wes E’s opinion, he’s always right!!

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:27 pm

Its hard to tell, No doubt its going to be windy. So if the wind is in our faces expect a tighter course. If its at our back expect a looser course.

It is so hard to predict what the weather will be, r if the pavement will be dry. I guess it depends on when the rain stops on Friday. With 20+ mph winds I think it will dry quick.

Aaron will be back in action, Ohm, Vlad and WesE will be out so it will be a full on battle for the top spots.

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:20 pm

ehy guys i got a bunch of people comin out to see what we do. i was wondering about start time and what not i never remember when these things start and what time i should tell the peeps to get there. let me know whats up. if you guys wanna call me direct (410) 382-3441. any thanks guys see you saturday

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:20 pm

Not only this series is crap, the DC weather is also crap.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:18 pm

November 13, 2004 will be forever known as the FIRST ANNUAL VLAD POPOV CRAP OUTLAW RACE.

This race will become a regular event . . . or irregular, depending on how everyone feels about it later.

Mike Ohm

CRAP

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:55 pm

CRAP-acronym

Communist Racing Association of Professionals[/b]

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:44 am

I know this will open a big can of worms but let's race at fountainhead. Oh hevermind, I can almost hear the Yankees north of the Mason- Dixon line crying from here.

Jeff(don't call me Bozwell) Boswell

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:45 am

Me and danny would love that cuz of theback hill but fountainhead doesnt close until the after this weekend....