Kentucky Fried Cone Fest Results

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Kentucky Fried Cone Fest Results

Post by Lenny Poage » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:30 am

Today was the first Kentucky Fried Cone Fest and, while I’m exhausted, in the immortal words of Marion Karr, “I’m stoked to the freakin’ max!!!” Though only 11 racers could make it out, check this out: 4 FIRST TIME RACERS, 1 dude who used to run cones back in the 70s who came back on the scene, a father/son pair of racers, a husband/wife pair and, THE FREAKIN’ OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON FOR KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN!!! Yup, the Colonel (of course not “the real” Col. Sanders as he’s passed on several years ago, but Kentucky Fried Chicken sent him to start the race as part of their sponsorship). So many things went well. The city was extremely cool!! The crowd and festival organizers were stoked, the racers great and fast!!! The weather was great!! I can’t even name all the reasons I’m stoked!! HUGE thanks to: my DHB brethren who made the trip and helped me run this thing (I can’t thank you enough), all the racers, volunteers Chris and James for keeping things running smoothly, my wife Jenny and my non-wife Brent for running the timer, the city of Ashland, KY and the Poage Landing Day Festival organizers, the Ashland PD for their stoke and stopping traffic while cheering us on, the sponsors (in no particular order) Sk8 Kings, Marc’s Board Shop, CHIxILL, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Pocket Pistols. Due to exhaustion I’m sure I’m forgetting way too many people. Enough sounding like a freakin’ Oscar speech!! Here are the results:
Rank in order of best qualifying runs-
Evan St. Clair
D. Holt
Marion Karr
Lenny Poage
Ben Barkey
Big E
Evan Tolley (first race)
Stephanie St. Clair (first race)
Dave Tolley (back from hiatus)
Josh (never got a last name) (first race)
Wes Ingle (first race)

Winner-
A Class
1st Evan St. Clair
2nd D. Holt
3rd Marion Karr

B Class
1st Big E
2nd Evan Tolley
3rd Stephanie St. Clair

Friday night Outlaw Results (70 cone TS/Hybrid in Huntington, WV)-
1st Evan St. Clair
2nd Marion Karr
3rd D. Holt

Plans are already on the works for next year’s race!! KFC and Poage Landing Days wants to make this a bigger, better, perennial event!! Plan on being there!!

Group shot with the Colonel

Never say never!!!!
HOSS

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:18 pm

Good job! Wish I coulda been there. I'll be watching for it 2007.

I first-time hosted a race here in Wisconsin in June 2006. Isn't it a great feeling? Like you I got tons of help from the established slalom community here in the upper midwest. I'm already on the ncdsa 2007 calendar for the 2nd annual! You be sure to do the same!
Gravity is a terrible thing to waste.

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:39 pm

As soon as I hear from the visitor's bureau confirming the dates, I'll post the sign-up for the 2007 KFCF. I can't wait!!!!
HOSS