Moderator: Maria Carrasco

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Brochure for slalom information now available for download

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:31 pm

Below is a link to a PDF file for anyone wishing to have a copy:

Skateboardbroc.pdf

This brochure is an introduction to Skateboard Slalom Racing. It outlines the basics of what is racing, some of the rules and who is involved in the sport. Please download a copy, open it with Acrobat Reader, print an original and then make as many copies as you desire. The layout is for folding into a three-panel handout that will easily fit in a shirt pocket.

Page One

Page Two

This brochure is in no way proprietary. Anyone can take the basic layout and run with it however they choose for their own local race scene. The specs on the file are as follows:

Layout in QuarkXpress
Avant Garde PS 1 Typeface throughout
One TIFF image
Two JPEGS.

TOTAL FILE SIZE INCLUDING GRAPHICS: 1.1 MB

If anyone wants the original Quark layout just send an e-mail and I'll pass it along. Also, I believe PageMaker has a filter for opening QXP documents, so that'll also work. Take it, change it, add your own pics, rewrite it to appeal more to your own local event, change the rules for whatever little quirks are peculiar to your event, yadda, yadda, yadda.

<font>[ This Message was edited by: Wesley Tucker on 2003-08-12 10:15 ]</font>
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Wesley

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:14 pm

A couple of questions:

Do you have an updated version that has the correct bracketing?

Would you mind if I printed up a bunch of these and included them with my Bahne orders?

Thanks,
Jack

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:08 am

Jack,

Feel free to include the brochure. From what I've heard several other manufacturers are doing likewise.

As far as the bracketing is concerned, I should be able to get it fixed one day this week. I now have access to Acrobat Reader and I'll get it straightened out.

If, though, you want some copies NOW, I have three suggeestions:

1) Take some white out and eliminate the numbers. Are they really an imperative? Then copy from a clean master.

2) Print out a couple of copies, take an X-Acto and rearrange the numbers into any bracketing you might desire. With a glue stick it's not as difficult as it might sound. Again, once you have a clean master, make copies from it.

3) If you have access to Quark Xpress on the Mac, I'll be more than happy to give you a copy for your own preferences. One idea that I would suggest is that each manufacturer who uses this brochure might want to re-write the "Who Rides Slalom?" section to include bios and info about their own riders and products. I have no problem at all with this piece being used by individuals or businesses using it as a promotional piece. After all, in the long run slalom gets promoted and that's what really matters!

Oh, one other thing: if you do get the original Quark file and take that to a professional PRESS (as opposed to Xerox,) that will produce the best quality photographs. And, of course, if you have the original file you can always replace the photos with pictures of your equipment and riders. A picture of a Banshee and Parsons riding one comes to mind.

Alan Schroeder
Shaggy

quark .eps vs acrobat .pdf

Post by Alan Schroeder » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:31 am

If going to a "pro" printer it's best to "distill" to a .pdf in acrobat........
shaggy

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Brochure - Quark

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:32 am

Hey Wes,

Thanks for the quick response. I do have Quark and I work with a great graphics department here at VAS. Can you please email the Quark document and files to:
jack@videoactionsports.com

Thanks for supporting slalom.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:00 am

By popular demand, a few changes to the Brochure are now available for download with the link above. The artwork now shows the changes available for download as a PDF.

After reading about Hugh and Adam's decision to merge GRS with SS.com, I decided to take out the Grass Roots Slalom link. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I went ahead and gave it the boot.

Also, the numbers and the bracketing now reflect a proper elimination for a 16-skater race. #1 and #2 would not meet now until the finals.

By the way, Slappy, I don't need you anymore. I can do my own distilling. It's Ok for you to die now if you want.

Heh, heh, heh. :-)

Thanks. I really appreciate your help before Acrobat came to my house.