Estonian early slalom race

Movie Files (avi, mpg, rm, etc.)

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Estonian early slalom race

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:15 pm

This video clip is awesome, and well worth watching.
The slalom course is pretty complex, and looks more like figure slalom than today's modern slalom racing.

Enjoy!

AK filmikroonika 1958-1991: 1 | KULDRULA
Esmaeeter 13. september 1981

https://arhiiv.err.ee/video/vaata/ak-fi ... 1-kuldrula

Filmitud Pärnu staadionil. Kaadrid võistlustest. Autasustamine, pjedestaalil. võitja võidurulaga.
Tekst filmile - võistlused korraldasid Pärnu Puidutöötlemiskombinaat "Viisnurk" ja Võru Gaasianalüsaatorite Tehas.
Tulemustest - neidudest parim Oona Masso, Tallinna Rulaklubi president;
neidude vanemas klassis võitis "Kuldrula" Katrin Tamme "Visu" noorteklubist;
noormeeste nooremas grupis parim Jaan Arrak Tallinna Rulaklubist;
noormeeste vanemas grupis - Jorma Holm "Visu" noorteklubist.

erik raitviir

Re: Estonian early slalom race

Post by erik raitviir » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:30 pm

I was there. Ran the courses. Missed the podium :-)

Kuldrula (Golden Skateboard) in 1983 in Pärnu, Estonia. According to my buddy Kalev Kärtner's comment on FB. However I do not have a problem to agree with the Estonian National Broadcasting Company who have dated this footage back to 1981.
First I'll give a translation of the original text accompanying the video. As I was there I need to comment also this official text for some additional info and corrections in italics.

EDIT: Yes, the footage is from 1981.

===

Filmed on Pärnu Stadium. Well, as far from truth as can be. Actually it is the pedestrians' underpass of the Pärnu river bridge.
Scenes from the competition. Prize ceremony, winner with the prize skateboard.
Commenting text to the video - the competition was organized jointly by the Pärnu Woodprocessing Factory "Viisnurk" (Five Prongued Star) and the Võru Gas Analyzers Factory.
Well, this "woodprocessing" was manufacturing chipboard furniture and skis (cross country).
Results - best girl Oona Masso, President of the Tallinn Skateboard Club.
Girl's elder class Golden Skateboard won by Katrin Tamme from the Visu Youth Club. Visu - "Viisnurga" Suusavabrik - Ski Factory of the Viisnurk Wood Processing Factory.
Boy's younger group best Jaan Arrak (RIP) from Tallinn Skateboard Club.
Boy's elder group best Jorma Holm from the Visu Youth Club.

The names of the riders in the video I am able to recognize from my memory - Jorma Holm (42). Frank Tuuksam (20), Tõnis Rannap (23). There are some more. But time has done the damage.

The slalom course seems to be sort of complex but the top managed to run it between 50-60 seconds. Unfortunately do not recall the "Marathon" times. (Read further). Today's wild guess around 1,5 and 2 minutes. Can be as wrong as my best and worst of the 100 KM MountainBike race in Estonia of 7h30m and 15h39m.
===

Well, it was a competition of highest "rank" those days. The Estonian made skateboard was a cooperation between a factory making gas analyzers and a ski factory. Every factory making some industrial goods had also a quota of making some consumer goods. That's why the trucks and wheels ended up there. The factories were situated in different towns. Trucks and wheel made in Võru, boards in Pärnu. The ski factory in Pärnu was a major player in that town. They easily managed to get the TV sports news team there to shoot a clip for the Sunday evening sports magazine.

In the footage we see the first "quarter" of the run. You started without a ramp from behind the line, ran a course through the cones on a moderate downhill and from under the bridge it was uphill without the cones, turnaround and run downhill through a section of cones and from under the bridge once again uphill without the cones to the finish line.

You had two runs on the underpass of the bridge, better one counted.
And that far only half the fun.
It was a combination competition.
After the slalom competitors were lined up in reverse order and had to run a "marathon" around the Pärnu Theater building counterclockwise with 4 ninety degree left turns. The asphalt was rather rough I remember. Time has passed and times have turned. Please allow me just to say that it was around 500 meters. The winner was the one having shortest sum of slalom and "Marathon".

Additional disciplines in that competition were high jump and freestyle.

Some years later I was the leader after the slalom section but had broken the kingpin bolt of my Lazer trucks (for which I had paid half of my monthly income) on the second slalom run final uphill. The US made trucks had kingpins of Imperial thread, Soviet ones had M10. As the thread pitch was different enough I was not able to scavenger a M10 bolt from anyone. Had just to borrow a skateboard from my younger sister not suiting to my riding power and style. Ended up 4th as far as I can recall.

Anyways - a rare glimpse behind the Iron Curtain for all of you not having experienced the Soviet Realizm and the ones you have actually had that forceful amount of lived years.
It was the only life we were able to have. We were forced to be on opposite sides with many of you those days, let's stay on the same side today!