seattle park/banked slalom, and setups

Slalom Skateboarding in the Pacific Northwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Gareth Roe, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

James Peters

seattle park/banked slalom, and setups

Post by James Peters » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:31 am

re: possible upcoming slalom gigs, is the Banked Slalom at Kent (?) and the idea of a Mukilteo park slalom two separate things? Do we have something resembling a 'ditch' around here?? That would be sweet.

On another note, my park skillls blow. If anyone has ideas for a park slalom setup for me I'm all ears. I got some pretty decent setup / hardware to work with already, like a S*itbird Hessian but I'm not sure what kinda trucks/wheels would be best for this. Trackers + 98a Pool Bombers work?

Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes

Re: seattle park/banked slalom, and setups

Post by Dan Hughes » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:45 am

James Peters wrote:re: possible upcoming slalom gigs, is the Banked Slalom at Kent (?) and the idea of a Mukilteo park slalom two separate things? Do we have something resembling a 'ditch' around here?? That would be sweet.

Kent? You mean Auburn?
James Peters wrote:On another note, my park skillls blow. If anyone has ideas for a park slalom setup for me I'm all ears. I got some pretty decent setup / hardware to work with already, like a S*itbird Hessian but I'm not sure what kinda trucks/wheels would be best for this. Trackers + 98a Pool Bombers work?
Indy's (duh) and Bowl Bombers (Powel, available at Gravity).

An interesting question is the size of wheel base. I'm thinking that a 16/17 inch wheel base might be faster than a 20 inch or bigger.

No park skills James? And you live in the northwest? Shame shame! Get out there and ride!

James Peters

Post by James Peters » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:05 am

Is it Auburn? That was from Gareth/Pat's slalom planning comment, with the question mark... if theres some cool banks in Auburn fill me in pls!

Great, I've got Indys, just didn't think they're turny enough, and Bombers, actually from Gravity. And I got park skills... that suck! I will get out. Hoping to start out on that snake run in Burien. If I meet you or Addington somewhere I'll bring the toolbox and get set up right. thx!

Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes

Post by Dan Hughes » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:15 am

Auburn is a big snake run, pretty much.

Funny thing is that I don't think turning is as much of a concern as is pumping/timing.

Burien is a great place to practice.

Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes

Post by Dan Hughes » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 pm

Looks like people just ride park boards for the Death race

Paul Howard

Park/bank Slalom

Post by Paul Howard » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 am

Hey, I'm all for the BANKED (i.e.- Not Vert) sorta park-ish slalom event as my vert skills are not really that hot. I'd still do it and have a good time but speaking for myself AND a lot of other CSA'ers, I think BANKED would be a better event for more peaple. Thanks-P
I just dig slalom!

Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes

Post by Dan Hughes » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:56 am

None of the parks that we've talked about have vert, well Mukilteo has a little. I was just pointing out the board set up.

Paul Howard

More Banked Slalom Sorta Things

Post by Paul Howard » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:34 am

Hey, reading back, I agree a 16-17", maybe 18" wheelbase would be best. As far as wheels, I'd say 65mm-ish and grippy for gyrating/pumping through the flat between cones(or thru cones if there are any on the flat). I would'nt worry about it too much since Anderson and Hughes will probably bag 1st and 2nd (in no particular implied preference). FINALLY someone will have a shot at taking 1st away from Dong at a CSA event if he shows up. Adios-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:38 am

Most guys around here ride boards with 17-18 wb, such as the Pocket Pistols Old Punk 36, Skull All-City, etc. for park slalom. Wheels tend to be the higher durometers in the 60-65mm range. Softer tend to be to slow on the concrete (for park slalom that is). Wouldn't worry too much about pumping in the flats, most park slalom races allow you to put a foot down to keep speed.
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes

Post by Dan Hughes » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:11 am

Cool. I'd love to race Dong and finally win. ha ha ha ha...

Park slalom seems like something I should be able to do.

James Peters

pool slalom setups

Post by James Peters » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:45 am

chris, pauli et al, thanks for the ideas and insight about this stuff, all new to me -- and Dan, Dave, Tim, John and Brad for the sessions at Auburn and Burien last few weeks!

little viddy -- http://media.putfile.com/Park-Slalom--- ... ers-Hughes

I think this sh*tBird's gonna be my "main" ride -- I've also got some harder Rainskates to switch to, and will definately go to bushings softer than these Khiro reds. No, thats not me doing all that grinding...this was something I traded up to...an excellent trade!