Southern Racers At The Worlds

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:11 pm

I wish we could have had more Southern racers at the Worlds. I did not perform as well I as I would have liked in the brackets. Qualed 9th in SX, 14th in Slalom and 8th in the tight and then typically didn't stick up to those numbers in the racing. I took a hard fall in the SX event and it really effected my day on Saturday.

The big story was Josh on Sunday, bringing the World Championship home to MS in the tight event. He was riding a Roe Racing "Keith Hollien Mini" set up with Radikals and trimmed Cambria's and PT Ceramics. I didn't even know he could wiggle that fast. Way to go Josh. Dad loves you!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:34 pm

Hey, Ricky,

• Sometime around 1836 Abner Doubleday organized the first American baseball game in Cooperstown, New York.

This year the Marlins and the Braves are both in the playoffs with two of the last eight World Series under their belts.

• In 1869 Rutgers and Princeton met in the first college football game.

Between the SEC and the newly more-reputable ACC with the addition of some real football teams, there's no other place on Earth that plays college football like we do in the South.

• In 1919 the Packers and Decatur Staleys met in the first pro football game.

The Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Bucaneers, Nashville Titans, Dolphins, Carolina Panthers and Washington Redskins are currently at the top of the League and rolling over everybody. (Well, except Kansas City.) (I won't mention the 'aints if you won't?)

• In 1898 Dr. Naismith organized the first basketball game in Springfield Massachusetts.

Do I really need to go into all the championships in Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Maryland and Arkansas?

• Slalom Skateboarding evolved as an alternative to doing handstands somewhere in California in the 1950's and '60s.

How long before The South decides it wants to get into slalom and show the rest of the sporting world how to do it and do it right?

There's no doubt California is doing well in slalom. There's no denying, though, that history is on our side!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:19 pm

DC isn't a Southern city!

The South doesn't begin until Manassas. You won't see a Confederate flag or a Waffle House north of Potomac Mills Mall.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:54 pm

In his 1988 bestseller, "Washington Goes To War," David Brinkley wrote that Washington was "a lanquid southern town with a pace so slow that much of it simply closed down for the summer . . . "

He also wrote, "two states, Maryland and Virginia, offered both land and money (to relocate the Capital from Philadephia.)" He added ". . . by agreeing to support a new capital city IN THE SOUTH (my emphasis,) . . . Congress voted to remain in Philadelphia for ten years and then move to a new 'Federal City' to be constructed somewhere along the Potomac." (There are many more instances in the book where Brinkley describes life in the most southern of cities on the banks of the Potomac.)

So, to whom do I subscribe? Slappimus Maxwellimus who says Washington ain't southern, or one of the most trusted names in American History, David Brinkley?

Good night, Chet.

(Byrddog, just be patient. Will be back with you in a moment.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wesley Tucker on 2003-10-03 17:56 ]</font>