Would you attend an Outlaw Race in North Carolina?

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Russel Cantor, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco

Would you attend an Outlaw Race at Hobby Park in Winston Salem, NC May 15, 2005?

Yes
44%
No
11%
Possibly on another date
44%

Total votes: 9

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Would you attend an Outlaw Race in North Carolina?

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:18 pm

Need some feedback on how many would attend an Outlaw race at the Hobby Park Soap Box Derby Hill in Winston Salem, NC. The next "available" weekend in May 15, which is the weekend after the Gathering.

This race would be strictly Outlaw. I'm making no effort to gather any schwag and hope everyone wants to participate just for the thrill of racing. I think we really need this. If things are going to grown in the Southeast, then something has got to happen besides irregular sessions now and then and the Red Clay Cup once a year. Outlawin' at the P&R is why the DC area has 40 or 50 regular racers running cones. If you want to race, be in a good sized bracket and improve your skills by running for first place, this is the only way to do it: regular racing on a good hill through a challenging course.

Speak now.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:38 pm

I am in full support of this Outlaw Series and the DownHill Billies would be the crew behind putting it together. Email me for more information on the, on the DownHill Billies, or any other information you need.

Here is a pic:

Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:52 pm

Wesley and MK,

Please hold a couple of outlaw races and work the kinks out of this place. It looks like a great place to race and I'd expect you'll see attendance when you can put together a larger race. Just keep it out of the summer heat.

Joe

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:14 pm

Sorry, Joe,

"Heat" and "here" are synonomous. Probably the one thing, though, I can expect is the humidity in that part of North Carolina (close to the mountains but not quite,) is lower than closer to the Coast.

We can, of course, race as late at December and still see 50-degree weather, but I'm not waiting that long! We're going to race and sweat there this summer and hope as many people as possible decide to join us.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:16 pm

I agree with Joe....run a couple and see what the chances are of getting shut down before folks travel in....i'd like to ride that hill.....maybe something toward the end of the season though...it's a pretty busy year already....i dont think there's anything out east for August or September outside of the Farm though.....yet

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:39 pm

Chris,
I am working on getting the official okey dokey from the Parks and Rec Dept that controls the park. I will keep everyone updated on my progress...meanwhile we will try to run some Outlaw stuff with the regional guys and see what happens. Saturday I road the hill for over 3 hours and did not see a park ranger, a soap box derby dude, or anyone else for that matter. Just a couple of guys flying planes, a couple of people having a picnic, 3 or 4 mountain bikers (dude, if you ride mtn. bikes bring one..this trail is killer), and a really really big fat couple making out on a bench (Yuck!).
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com