Bar-B-Que

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Russel Cantor, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:45 am

Pit cook pulled pork with a really good mustard sauce. Some dirty rice on the side, pole beans with a ham hock that's been slow cooked on the fire since last week, hush puppies with hot butter and a pitcher of iced tea tall enough to block out the sun!

Oh, and spare me the hash. I know some might think me a heretic, but I know what's in there and I ain't eating it!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:10 am

Hot sweet potatoes and cracklin' bread and mulligan stew tha'd turn a rich man's head, back bone and turnip greens, lord there's nothin' finer than sittin' doawn and eatin' at the Dixie Diner.

If you've never heard Dixie Diner by Larry Raspberry and the High Steppers (and later by Jimmy Buffett on "You had to be there" the live album) do yourself a favor and listen up.

Favorite BBQ? Make a water tight pouch out of aluminum foil big enough for a slab of ribs, pour in one can of beer, seal it up and bake it in the oven for one hour. This steams them up just right. Remove the ribs and finish them up in a smoker or on the grill. I like the grill myself. As you are finishing up rub them with some dry BBQ (Corky's) powder. Add sause to your liking at the very end or not at all.

For sauce simmer on the stove top your fav BBQ sauce and pepper jelly until blended together. Sweet and spicy, Yum yum!

Eat it up then run cones to taste.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:45 pm

I liked my BBQ with cole slaw in a layer on soft white bread bun and a splash of Tabasco. Put that up with some ice T plenty sugared up and I'm set, oh, hand cranked ice cream for later.

P.S. Have your cousin sign in with first and last name and he can let us know about what kinda BBQ he likes.

Chuck Gill

Post by Chuck Gill » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:18 am

How did I know Wesley would be talkin' mustard-based sauce. I'll won't say any more, people have been shot over less important matters.

I haven't had bbq in almost 20 years...vegetarian and all (I'll spare y'all the details of a bbq tofu sandwich...I'm a bit embarassed about it myself). But man, I still remember the pork sandwiches at Dusty's in Atlanta...tomato-ey, sweet/smoky, and just a bit spicy. A really special flavor. They knew how to make a good hush puppy too.

The best poke bbq sandwich I ever had was at a little place on Highway 41 just north of Chattanooga called Chow Time. We used to make a point of stopping there every time we went up to Raccoon Mountain to ride the Alpine Slide (more gravity kicks!). Even when I was transitioning to veg, I still ate at Chow Time. Big fat sandwiches, dripping with the tastiest sauce you ever had. Hush puppies of course. They had a sign up proclaiming they served the "World's Best Coconut Cream Pie". I don't know if it was or not, but it was good, and about 6 inches tall! The last time I ever went up there, after screaming down the gypsum tracks of the Alpine Slide a few times, we wdrove up to Chow Time...the sign beckoning us toward the tasty delights inside as we approached. I parked and was about to get out when I looked inside and saw...WASHING MACHINES! Chow Time was gone, it was a laundromat, and the sign was still there to mock me! I wept like a baby, and have never been back to Raccoon Mountain since.

If any of y'all come to South Florida you need to try Blue Front. They moved from the ghetto to the almost-ghetto 20+ years ago, so you are no longer taking your life in your hands going there. For those of you who like it hot, just ask for the hot sauce they give to the black folks and you'll be in for a special treat (yeah, ya gotta ask that way). And to settle the age-old mustard/vinegar vs. tomato-based debate, they use BOTH in their sauce! Mmmmm....and they make a damn fine hush puppy too (I'm spotting a trend).