Down South At Da' Farm

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:30 pm

It was good to get back in the saddle . . . at least on a limited basis. I'd like to take this time to apologize to TK for not fulfilling his fantasies of a "World Parallel Slalom Championship," but things for me just didn't work out. Now, that's not to say that my participation is absolutely necessary for such a competition, but does anybody really want to watch Brewington solo and take a prize without a contest? I think not. It was funny, though, that when I asked TK about it, Mandarino piped up, "hey! what about it? I would have done that if it would have happened." Oh, well. Of course, if Mandarino does insist on participating the next attempt WPSC, I'll make sure the rules include a clause that he has to wear his party pants and that shirt. Jesus, where do we get these guys?

It was great to see everyone from around here who made the trip: McCree, Hollien, Bobby, Harms from St. Lo and of course 66 (that bastard! :smile: ) Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much we missed the Byrds, the rest of the MS crew, more folks from Missouri and ol' What's-his-name who does the NASA thing. (Chick? Chock? It escapes me now. ) Oh, anyone heard from Binky lately? He was at West Virginia then moved from North Carolina down to Florida. Has he made it to an event this year?

As everyone has heard by now, the racing was hot although once again things were truncated by the wet pavement. We still got in three events and A Good Time Was Had By All. Hays once again put out a spread that Louis the XIV would have found excessive and we all ate til we rolled down the hill. Speaking of hills, I have got to find the time to bomb Mill Ridge Road and Ketchiwan sometime before I die. One of the more thrilling aspects of 'da Farm is just getting to Steve's house. His street is what happens when a truck full of asphalt and a steam roller follow a goat path up a hillside! Hey, I also want to thank WinRumlIV for the clams and oysters. First time this good ol' boy ever had a steamed New England clam and I found 'em to be right tasty.

Also, I appreciate everyone's sincere concern and questions about my health. Things are tremendously better and I feel good that I got to race at least a little bit in the vintage event. I feel good that even after an eight-month layoff and still feeling stiff in some places, my time was around 3 seconds off Mollica's winning effort.

Hey, you got to take encouragement where you find it!

Thanks again, Twayzer and TK. Y'all outdid yourself and once showed that it doesn't take stress and strife to put on a race, just lots of beer and some steamed clams.

Chuck Gill

Post by Chuck Gill » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:52 am

Binky was at Kona.

I will be at Athens.