Exit 46 Jam Session, December 26 2004 - NOON

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Exit 46 Jam Session, December 26 2004 - NOON

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:29 pm

Ok,

It's looking pretty good. Cold, but good.

When 66 and I did this hill earlier in the month, we were able to handle about three hours of skating. After every run there is a reall good hike back of the hill and a few of those will wear you out.

So instead of the crack of dawn, anyone have a problem with a NOON start time? That's a little later, but still would be a good five hours of skating if anyone can last that long. Plus, it's going to be COLD. So let's give it an extra hour or two for things to warm up a little. The expected high Sunday is 50, so it's going to be in the 40s most of the day. No need to get up at the crack of dawn only to get to the hill and stand around and shiver waiting for the sun to get warm.

Ga Tom, if you still want to come, 66 said it took him 3.5 hours from Athens going through GREENVILLE. Beats me what your drive time would be from Dublin, but at least you'll have some idea what to expect.

See y'all Sunday.

Oh, this time, let's not forget brooms. I'm sure there's still some stuff in the road. It's been pretty dry and windy, but the debris last time was really heavy. Let's be able to get rid of that.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:52 am

Wesley,
12 works great for me. I will be there. I will bring a push broom, a leaf blower, and a shovel in case we need it. I am stoked about it.

That time will be great. I can leave about 10 am and get there in plenty of time to go ahead and start the clean up if needed.

Man I am stoked. Oh, I said that already. You know I am going to be slow and timid but dang, man I am stoked! ha ha.

Dropping you an email with my mobile number in case you need it. See you on Sunday!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Tom Thompson

weather

Post by Tom Thompson » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:35 pm

Wesley, Marion - the weather for tomorrow isn't looking good. Snow is predicted here in Mid-Ga tonight and moving right up through the Carolinas tomorrow. If we can't do it tomorrow, I'll be open for next weekend. Actually, the middle of next week looks good...60's on wed...just a thought...

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:27 am

I hate to sound like "I told you so," but I told you so. It's not looking at all good. We went from sunny and cold to rainy, snowy and cold in 24 hours. It's raining here now and it's raining in Columbia now.

I think we should postpone for a week. Ga. Tom says it's good for him, Marion said it's good and it's good for me. Waiting a week might mean it's raining again a week from now, but what I do know for a fact is that it is raining there NOW. It's probably going to rain for the rest of the night. And as I said earlier this week, if it stops raining in the morning, the road is going to be wet at least til mid afternoon. Oh, and none of this takes into account that it's going to be wet and in the '20s tomorrow morning, so that means driving up there with icy bridges. That's something else than isn't any fun at all.

I feel like I should say, "I'm sorry," but hey, this is winter time. Trying to schedule a dry weekend is pot luck at best. All we can do is save it for another day and see what next Sunday looks like. So let's start all over again, watch the weather and see where we are next Friday or Saturday. Maybe 2005 will bring us some weather luck?

I knew this was going to happen. The weather literally changed 180 degrees in less than 24 hours. But, hey, whadda 'ya gonna do?

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:41 am

Wesley, Tom,
Wesley you called it. I dropped an email to a bud of mine at the National Weather Service in Greer, SC and he agreed...Tomorrow sucks for riding. No worries. I am down for next weekend. Things were pretty stressful here today anyway with some family stuff so I need to hang around the house. My wife and family are going to be out of town Monday through Thursday but I have to stay close for my Dad. He is doing better but I need to get him into see one of his docs on Monday.

We will shoot for next week. Hope you guys had an awesome Christmas!

Talk to you later in the week.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:41 am

It's official: JAM SESSION AT EXIT 46 12/26/04 CANCELLED!!

I hope everyone who planned on coming (which I think was me, Marion and Ga. Tom,) read this.

The WINTER STORM WARNING ADVISORY just went up for all areas West of Dorchester County (where I am.) Ice is expected to accumulate up to one inch in some areas and temps are going to be below freezing well into the morning. That means I ain't leaving my house no matter what til after 3:00 in the afternoon!

I know, some of you people in Colorado and New England and Detroit and Chicago and all those other God-forsaken frozen hell holes are thinking, "one inch? Is that all? I'd skateboard on just one inch of ice!"

Around here, though, ANY ICE means NO TRAVEL. Zero. Zip. Nada. We don't move when it's frozen wet stuff. No salt, no snow shovels, no snow blowers, no salt, no salt and we have no salt. The Highway Department considers "ice maintenance" to be a road grader with a dump truck full of sand. Know what you get when you grade a road covered with ice and put sand on it? Big pile of sandy ice. It's slippery as hell and more dangerous than a road full of nails and broken glass! Plus, that doesn't even begin to account for all the other maniacs out there. Know what you do in the South when you hit a patch of ice? You SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND WONDER WHY YOU'RE STILL MOVING? It's really pathetic and what we've learned is the best thing to do is stay home and read or maybe catch up on your cross stitching.

But no matter what, the hill won't be dry tomorrow no matter what happens tonight, so why bother driving up there to skate?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Things looks great a week out from January 2, 2005

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:04 pm

Hey, all of y'all,

Waiting one week may prove to be THE SMARTEST THING WE HAVE EVER DONE! Here's the long range forecast for January 2, 2005:

Sunday (24 hours): Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 40s.

Again, though, this is WINTERTIME. Things change in a heartbeat and next Sunday may end up being a blizzard. For the time being, though, I have to say that jamming at Exit 46 the second day of the New Year is definetely ON.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:23 pm

Wesley,
Thanks for the voice mail on my mobile. I must have seen your posts right before I checked my messages. The weather does look better at the end of the week. I am in if the weather holds. I did get to skate a little by myself yesterday and man the air was cold.

Talk to you later in the week.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:02 pm

Dude, am I reading this weather report correct for Columbia for Sunday:

Partly cloudy, high in the mid 70's, lows 51

WTHeck?

Man, I am so on for this Sunday! Toothless and all!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com