New (old) guy just making Introduction

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Ron Olsen

New (old) guy just making Introduction

Post by Ron Olsen » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:38 pm

All -

I've been lurking here for probably 6 months, reading along and not really taking much action.

I was a slalom rider in the mid to late 70's and still have the board a rode then, a pristine Fibeflex Pro-slalom with Trackers and OJ slalom wheels. I've ridden from time to time over the years, and recently got a Fiberflex Pintail 38" with Randal's and have been having a blast on that. My nephew Mic had discovered longboarding, and got me interested again. He's got a 44" fibreflex with 180's and ABEC 11 gumball's. A nice carving ride.

I'll need some new wheel's on the old pro slalom as the OJ's are really hard (age). (your wheel recommendations are welcome!)

I'd like to get together with you guys to ride soon, I'm going to need some practice, but I think it will come back quickly. I've got a helmet, but I need some body armor as well (knees and elbows) so I'll be getting that.

I'm in Alpharetta GA, near the Jones Bridge/Abbotts Bridge intersection.

I've got some other interests that take some time, kids soccer season, motorcycle rides in the mountains and watching the Tour de GA bike race next weekend, but after that I will be looking forward to getting out to meet and ride with you guys.

Ron

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Welcome Back

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:15 am

Gee...

You make six in Georgia. I am over in Lawrenceville. I just got back into racing over the last couple of months, and I have to tell you that gear is totally different. I had not ridden a course in 26 years. I have schooled on gear through here and the NCDSA web site. Good sources for info. If you are looking for wheels, my vote goes to Manx. Richy & Maria at Sk8Kings.com are two of the nicest people in the sport.

Richy hooked me a Pocket Pistols Chicken Dagger with Trackers and Manx. I bought the complete so Richy wedged it, did a custom bushing job, the works. The deck SCREAMS. Fast, loose when it needs to be with total control, and the Manx 80 duro stick like glue.

I am sure that everybody has their own opinions and favorites, so there's mine. If your off to watch the bike race, head over to Athens on Friday or Saturday at the Red Clay Cup and watch us ride with varying degrees of success. I assure you that you will be able to see all of the gear that you could ever find on the internet, and the racers love to talk boards and set-ups.

Welcome back. Oh by the way we are having a practice sesh at 1pm on Sunday the 24th too. Check the postings for info.

Marty Schaub
La Costa Boy For Life

John Dillon

Welcome aboard!

Post by John Dillon » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:41 pm

Try to get over to Athens,GA in 2 weeks for their slalom race...post up here for used wheels...and I'm sure someone will sell some to you....I briefly worked in GA...in and about Athens back in '86...and I rode 66's vert ramp then too....there's lots of great slalom folks all around, including down your way in GA!

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:34 am

Welcome back! Like you, I have a similar story, returning to slalom after not riding cones since 1980. Got back into longboarding and hill bombing first but now have a full on stoke for slalom, GS, Super G, downhill, sliding, carving, etc. We have formed a group called the DownHill Billies that are based in North Carolina but have "members" in about 5 states and two other countries(www.downhillbillies.org..coming soon) that is filled with a lot of riders like yourself. Check us out on here or at www.ncdsa.com on the Longboarding Forum.

You are in good company here! John Dillon is an awesome dude who is fueled with the stoke, Marty has come back into the fold as well and is already rocking it from what I am told, and in Georgia the Man is 66 Rick Stanziale! I am coming to the Athens race for the first time and plan on racing on Friday in the Super G but have to miss Saturday due to some family stuff going on. You should make that drive over...the gods of this sport will be there.

I can relate to you as well...I am a soccer coach and have two daughters who play high level club and we have to travel a great deal...but dude, skating is one cool way to take a break from all of that other stuff.

Check out www.ncdsa.com as another option for info...both that website and this one has helped me tremendously to get involved back into this sport in a big way. Also check out
Concrete Wave Magazine....it covers slalom when none of the others seem to give a crap about it. Watch for www.downhillbillies.org for more info on our crew.

Drop me an email if you get a chance! Rock on Bro!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com