100-Cone Challenge In August 2005

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

100-Cone Challenge In August 2005

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:01 pm

I'm thinking of maybe having a 100-Cone Challenge in August between Da' Farm and Da' Worlds. The rules would be simple: a jam session single-lane course of 100 cones with six-foot spacing. It would be on an almost perfectly flat run on a surface that is 8 out of 10. The course would open when we feel like it and stay open til we get tired.

This is NORTH looking up the trail at the Starting Line

The location is the Saw Branch Canal Trail in and around Summerville, SC. The Bust Factor is ZERO. It's a paved trail that goes around the Saw Branch canal for a distance of about 12 miles. We'd be using about 1000 feet of it at one end. It's for physical fitness so using it for a skateboard event is no big deal. We might have to stand aside for the occassional jogger, biker or stroller.

This is SOUTH looking back from the Finish Line towards the Start

Hopefully by then I'll have a timer. If not, I'll have to finagle one from BP or 66. Anyone is invited but I'm thinking there could be a good crowd of 10 or 15 within 250 miles of me. A good selling point is to sell it to the wife and kids that they can go to Charleston and do the tourist thing while we skate. Make it a day trip or a weekend in Charleston or at the Beach (Summerville is about 35 miles inland.)

There is just the slightest slope coming off of the crossroad
that provides a little extra momentum pushing into the first cone.

This is Outlaw and strictly for fun. Anyone, though, who's ever wondered about Vlad's 100-cone workouts and what it means, this could be a chance to give it a whirl. It's just an idea and really doesn't take any excessive planning. If anyone wants to show, we'll grab the cones and go over to the trail.[/b]

I'm still working on the December Race at Exit 46. Nothing definite yet. If, though, you'd like to just wear yourself out unmercifully cranking through 600+ feet of cones, say something here.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Yup

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:47 pm

Game on!

I'm sure the GASS boys are all interested. Remember though that school starts here the Monday after the Farm, so the family sell may be dicey.......

Hopefully you won't be using 6's one cone DQ rule.....
La Costa Boy For Life

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Firm Date For 100 Cone Challenge . . . sort of.

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:48 pm

Ok, here's the deal: August 20 or August 21 or both?

I live here, so I can go over to the trail whenever I want. So, if someone wants to ride Saturday, I can be there Saturday. If someone wants to ride Sunday, I can do that to.

All I would say is it'll be more fun with more people. 15 people on Saturday and then me and one other guy on Sunday would be kind of lame.

Y'all talk amongst yourselves and let me know. The 20th/21st, by the way, is two weeks after Da' Farm and two weeks before Labor Day. Not much going on that time of August. There's not even any football yet.