Proposed START for (PROPOSED) HOBBY PARK race

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Which do you prefer, a standing start or an unlimited push start for the Hobby Park Giant Slalom Race?

Unlimited Push Start
50%
Limited Push Start From A Start Box
50%
No Push Start. Drop In To First Cone With Only Gravity And Your Pump For Acceleration
No votes

Total votes: 6

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Proposed START for (PROPOSED) HOBBY PARK race

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:20 pm

There is a bit of a conversation raging in the New England forum about start ramps at outlaw races. It's already been decided that start ramps will be at the dual hybrid race in Statesville on Saturday November 5 but no start ramp is necessary at Hobby Park on Sunday because as the general consensus goes, "that freakin' hill IS a start ramp."

Well, let's to go one better. It's been a long time since anyone has done this, so how about UNLIMITED PUSH START for the giant slalom? A skater can go into the timing strip as hot or cold as desired. No limits. That is except for the limit that the asphalt at the top of the hill only goes back about 100 feet. If you want to push in from the gravel, though, then have at it!

When the Outlaws, the Georgia boys and the DHBs jammed on the hill they all started right around the first cone to sort of "drop in" to the course but by the end of the day were backing up farther and farther to get faster starts and quicker times.

So here's the proposed "rule" for the start: put the timing strip somewhere below the soap box start blocks and before the first cone. A racer must hit the strip to start the clock. PERIOD.

Whether the skater starts two feet in front of the strip or backs up to Greensboro is up to the racer to decide.

GO IN SCORCHING, COME OUT BLAZING!!

Any comments for the race organizers to consider?

(And don't forget: all this is contingent on the DHBs getting final approval from the W-S Parks Commission. We can put the cart before the horse, just don't tell the horse to "giddy up!"

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:39 pm

What about the starting blocks that are permanently in place for the soap box derby cars? Is there enough room to squeeze between them? Won't they interfere with an unlimited push start? You poll should have included a Start Ramp...especially for the DH. If the blocks are not permanent and are removed, an unlimited push start would be killer....literally.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:11 pm

Well, just to weigh in on this discussion, we are considering building a low start ramp that will fit right down over the soap box car blocks. It would only be high enough to cover the height of the blocks but would only add minimum pitch to the start. It would also make for a more equal start from all of the racers. It would have pull handles just like a regular start ramp with a low back stop for the wheels. In my proposal to the Parks and Rec I indicated to them that this was a possiblity.

When we bomb the soap box derby hill for speed most of us start all the way back at the grass and push almost all the way to the blocks. There is enough space to ride through the blocks with only a minimal rub over the metal plate that covers the workings of the start blocks. I would NOT recommend this for a GS because someone would literally get totally f'ed up if their loose front trunk wobbled when they hit that metal strip and it pitched them headlong into the metal guides.

I have ridden that hill more than anyone else and feel that a start ramp custom to the hill is a good option. By the way, I am the one that said " the hill is a freakin start ramp". As far as making it an unlimited push start there is only so much room to work with anyway. I am really not in favor or slalom racers pushing through those blocks. For the DH portion of the race I have no problem with riders going through the blocks with the timing strip being placed right below it and the finish strip at the finish line. Fastest one to cover that distance would be the winner.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:48 pm

Tway,

Parsons, Marty, Ron, JD and Tom were entering the hill on one side between the start blocks and the railing. The first cone was a few feet in front of the start blocks to one side of the hill. There is plenty of clearance to push in down that “alley” on either side of start block. All that has to be done is move the tape switch over to one side to be in line with first cone.

The only reason I posted this is because there is going to be a clammer about “using the whole hill.” And precisely because of the start blocks are in the middle of the street you can’t set a course taking advantage of the whole hill. So that would mean opening up more of hill for pushing.

Marion’s idea of the low start platform is good. However, it could easily be considered a “gravity start” as there wouldn’t be any pushing between the start and the first cone. I just wanted to hear opinions from the maniacs who like the idea of completely ripping the course with as much speed as possible. That, of course, means pushing into it as hard as possible.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:44 pm

I seriously can't wait to see you bomb that hill on your new dream machine. What a thing of beauty. That Turner is the bomb.

I personally like the idea of pull starting on a small makeshift ramp for the GS.
If you say there's enough room to do the DH from the back, then that’s way cool. I didn't pay that much attention to the start blocks. I was pretty spooked ridin' a short stick from the top as it was...solo no less. Stoked to go back with a big crew.

See you hillbillies in Nov.

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:55 pm

I'm an advocate for being given the option of an unlimited push start, or at least as much of one as the hill will provide. At the same time, I completely understand Marion's safety concerns. The initial drop at Hobby Hill is MONSTER! I suggest this compromise: Bring one of the start ramps from Saturday's race and offer it as a starting alternative. Either place it over the soapbox starting blocks(if it will fit), or in front of them......OR at the very least, allow racers to push off of the low starting platform vs. simply rolling into the course.

I respect and greatly appreciate what your doing Mr. Karr. More downhill and slalom in the SE!!!!

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:19 pm

Dudes, Tom T has a great persective on the speed of this hill because that crazy dude was the one that kept pushing us up further and further when we were running GS. Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I don't advocate a roll in start. I think the riders can judge their own speed and the ones that want to drive it harder should be able to. That is why I was thinking a low start ramp that had pull handles like a regular ramp would have (maybe even better with Kung Fu grips or something...ha ha)...would be a good compromise. Everyone will start from the same spot but those who have the balls to pull off that ramp like Cbark or Mitchell does can go for it and those riders who want to just roll into the first cone can.

Side View of Hill:

Start Blocks:
There is a lane to the right of this picture that could be the push start area.

Top View of Blocks with Side Lane to left:
The pavement in that side lane is not very good...that could be somewhat of a problem.

Some of this will depend on what the city of Winston approves us to do. At least we know, we can do an unlimited push start within reason if we set the course coming in from that left hand lane at the blocks. Riders could push in from there and reach for the first cone across the lane.

Keep the input coming boys!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

John Dillon

Hello!

Post by John Dillon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:24 pm

Hey Marion,
First off, this is the best race site find between Maryland and Florida...make it easier on yourself as far as setting up is concerned...and just do an unlimited push start...as one gets used to the course,hill,speed one can start higher up on the hill.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

No Justice

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:27 pm

Hey Guys,

First of all the pictures posted above do not show the pitch of this hill at all. It's got a great drop start from those blocks and you can haul. Since Wesley's poll does not list Marion's ramp over the blocks with a pull start, I won't bother voting.

Marion, build what you want, the boys will fly anyway from anywhere. This hill is that fast, so cease the debate, pick a method and let's go race.
La Costa Boy For Life

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Re: No Justice

Post by Mr Surly » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:07 am

Marty Schaub wrote:Hey Guys,

First of all the pictures posted above do not show the pitch of this hill at all. It's got a great drop start from those blocks and you can haul.
being a full-on newbie at slalom, i wont chime in on alot of GS details. i will say this though. i spend time bombing, and speed boarding the big hills in my area, and this hill at hobby park will fool you. it doesnt look too steep, or very long, when you stand on the top. however, the optical illusion is the runout on the other side, totally tricks your eye. this is a FAST hill fellers...dont kid yourself. and the pavement is ... well ... magnifique! i only wish that i hadnt forgotten my grade-gauge, and my gps.

i think an unlimited push above the gates would be tough due to the metal plates that cover the hydraulics for the gates. also, when i ran the hill and went around the right-lane gate's right side, there is a "lip" to ride over[same on the other gate]. this is from the overlap of the new pavement onto the old. it was pretty sketchy, to say the very least. just my $.02

Tom Thompson

Re: Hello!

Post by Tom Thompson » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:13 pm

John Dillon wrote:Hey Marion,
First off, this is the best race site find between Maryland and Florida...make it easier on yourself as far as setting up is concerned...and just do an unlimited push start...as one gets used to the course,hill,speed one can start higher up on the hill.
jd, the voice of reason.....

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:00 pm

I agree with JD and Tom. Anarchy rules. Let them push from wherever they want. Don't build a special ramp. It easier and will probably be more interesting to see the "big sack" crew push in real fast and see if they can hold it together.

This is your first contest. You have many other things to worry about and regardless of what you do, you cannot make everyone happy.

Make reasonable decisions and stick to them. Then, and this is the tough one, try not to take it personally when someone criticisizes your decisions. It's gonna happen regardless and it makes you look bad if you let it get to you.

Joe