Downhillbillies May Slalom Showdown May 19 and 20

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Downhillbillies May Slalom Showdown May 19 and 20

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:10 pm

Downhillbillies May Slalom Showdown
Sponsored By Woody's Half Pipe Skateboard Shop, Norcross, Ga.
www.woodyshalfpipe.com

Come to one of the Southeast's new hotspot for slalom racing and the home of the Dixie Cup for a great weekend of skating and hanging with the DHB!

May 19, 20, 21, 2006

May 19- Outlaw Hybrid/GS CamperWorld (or possible new Course)

May 20- Dual Lane Tight/Hybrid Elimination (or Ladder Bracket depending on number of participants) And "Carolina Call Out" Racing* on the now Famous Court Street, Downtown Statesville

(Here's your chance to ride the Dixie Cup Course before November)

Watch For NCDSA.com Contest Calendar Posting For Developing Details on accomodations, schedule, and other details. Prizes for this weekend will be limited but it will give you the opportunity to ride two of the hills that are featured in the Dixie Cup.

*"Carolina Call Out Racing" to be completed at the end of Dual Lane Elimination Rounds...each rider will get to "Call Out" one other rider for a grudge match, bragging rights, head-to-head dual! We will be limiting the call outs to one per racer depending on availability of time! (Racers who get called out multiple times will be obligated however to take up the challenge so fast racers, EAT YOUR WHEATIES!). Here is a chance to match your skills against someone you may other wise not get an opportunity to race on course, settle an old score, or just get your butt kicked by one of your friends!

**START RAMPS will be used both Friday and Saturday.
Last edited by Marion Karr on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

WARNING: HOTEL CONFLICTS FOR THIS DATE>>>

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 pm

The May Race posted below may have to be delayed. All approvals are in place, however, Hotel availability is going to be a major challenge because of the NASCAR NEXTAL Cup All Star Race (formerly know as "The Winston") that is scheduled to be held at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina that same weekend. Every hotel/motel for 200 miles has doubled their rates to take advantage of the NASCAR fans coming to town.

We will make a decision by tomorrow morning as to our plans regarding this event. I apologize for the confusion. Even though we live in the "heart of NASCAR" most of us don't pay attention to the sport and forgot about the allstar race that week. The Coca Cola 600 is held the following weekend.

Contact me directly via my mobile 7046579531 if you have specific questions.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 pm

Let's just all stay at Evan's house.

William Arnette

Post by William Arnette » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:58 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:Let's just all stay at Evan's house.
screw that, i say we all have a friendly camp out in marions back yard. there can be smores and camp fire songs.......

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:49 pm

NOTE: After trying to find another weekend that would work for this race becaues of the issue with the NASCAR race and hotel cost and availability we were unsuccessful. We have decided to hold this race on the original weekend. Any racers wanting to come from out-of-town please contact me directly regarding housing opportunities at karr@downhillbillies.org. Evan has volunteered to host three riders at his house and let anyone with tents and sleeping bags to camp in his back yard. We also have another option for camping. Hotels may be available but they will be at a premium. Try Priceline or other options if you want to stay in a hotel.
We will try to accomodate as many out-of-towners as possible with a place to sleep or pitch a tent...access to a bathroom and shower and water. Riders will be responsible for food but there are options everywhere in our town. I will hosting three riders at my house as well.

Please sign up on the Contest Calendar and email me if you need a place to crash so we can try to work something out.

Also, the Park Slalom race will be held as a seperate event later in the summer due to traffic issues in and around Charlotte due to the NASCAR event.

(So Will Arnette...you can take your Smores over to Evans! Ha ha!)
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:18 pm

If anyone is interested in coming to Statesvville for the May 19-21 race, here's some info.

Although I agree with Karr that rates will go UP as we closer to the NASCAR race weekend, right now things are still reasonable. I went ahead and got a room at the Day's Inn for $45.00 plus fees. It'll probably end up being around $57 total. This is the internet rate, not a bid. It's a single double bed. The twin doubles are$50.00.

There's some other stuff in the area but it's closer to $60 and up. Also,if you come to town that weekend and want a room without a reservation, expect to pay at least $80 or more at the Motel 6 and it goes up from there.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Tue May 02, 2006 4:16 pm

Statesville, North Carolina is TRULY Skatesville, North Carolina!

Went to the Statesville City Council Meeting last night to get approval for the Court Street closure for our race on May 20th. Chief of Police walks up to me and says "Hope you don't mind but I put your proposal on the Consent Agenda." A Consent Agenda is basically a list of normal items that are unanimously voted on as a matter of record (i.e., minutes from last meeting, montly budget report, previously discussed motions, etc). All items are voted on as a group. Needless to say, we got our approval and I didn't have to speak in front of Council.

I was in there a total of 10 minutes, and that included the invocation, the Pledge of Allegiance, and the reading of the Consent Agenda.

The Chief of Police had a map of the road closings, our proposal, and all of our info already in the hands of the Council and well, the DHB is the Juggernaut!

The Police Dept. will be blocking the streets and providing a police officer the entire event. Unfortunately, there is a price involved with this so we will be using our entry fees to cover this cost.

As I was walking out of the Council meeting the Mayor gave me a thumbs up from up on the podium! Skatesville, North Carolina! Got to LOVE IT!

Come feel the Love on May 19th and 20th!

MARK YOUR CALENDERS: 2nd ANNUAL DOWNHILLBILLIES DIXIE CUP November 3, 4, 5, 2006 Skatesville and Winston-Slalom, North Carolina!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu May 18, 2006 3:36 pm

Friday Night's Outlaw At Camperworld Update

After several attempts due to weather and other conflicts we were finally able to set the Friday Night Outlaw course. We had planned to set a tightest hybrid/GS but the course has turned out to be more of a very, very fast Hybrid.
No need to bring your BIG GS boards this weekend. Save room in the car. You won't need them. Axe II, Brown Bombers, and Subsonic RIP's were making the course extremely well but much longer boards will be taxed a bit.
The course is 52 cones all down the right side of the Camperworld hill with pyramids, Gilmourian curves, intermixed with some offsets that make you think. You start on the gas but have to transfer from the curve into an offset section that will test your traction. The course finish with another gas section....spacings range from 6' to 12'.

Look forward to seeing you guys here tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun May 21, 2006 5:50 pm

The DHB/Woody's Halfpipe May Slalom Showdown was an incredibly fun and intense weekend of slalom racing.

Friday night start things off with an outlaw jam at Camper World.

The course was fun and fast and very makeable for everyone. It allowed a racer to really pump into the fast parts and brake just enough to stay online.

Karr is obviously keeping his head up and looking down the course!

The Friday Outlaw winner was Evan St. Clair. He was untouchable and took it by a clear margin.

Friday morning things shifted to Court Street. The dual eliminations were run on the same course as was the Dixie Cup in November '05.

3rd-place finisher in the "A" bracket, Evan St. Clair.

"A" Bracket Winner was old La Costa Boy Marty Schaub.

"A" Bracket runner up, Marion Karr.

"B' Bracket racers Jay Mishoe and Doc Tommy were down running this tight course.

It looks like downhiller William Arnette picked up a friend in his first slalom race!

Pics of the first and second run in the "A" Bracket finals. Schaub vs. Karr:

It was very close racing, but Schaub grabbed it as Karr took out a cone too many.

"B" Bracket winner, West Virginia's own Lenny Poage.

Marty got a $75.00 gift certificate from Woody's Half Pipe for his win.

"Rookie" Rudisill got the most the coveted prize of all, the POKEY AWARD!

AND THERE WAS FOOD! Pizza, salad and cheesecake was served for everyone on the hill.

It was a great weekend. The only bummer was it rained very late Friday night/early Saturday morning. A crew from Jaw Ja with Woody's was planning on making the trip, but looking at the radar made them reconsider. Unfortunately for them but fabulous for all those who were there, it was perfect skating weather. Sorry y'all missed it.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

What A BLAST!!!

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun May 21, 2006 7:03 pm

As I sit in my office this morning, I am replaying the weekend over and over. I really want to thank ALL of the DHB's for the events they put on. They are the most fun a guy can have on wheels without a backseat.

My props go out of course to Marion, but also to all of the racers in the DHB. In the year or so that I have been coming up there, you progression has been phenominal. You all are fast and getting faster.

Both races were a blast with great courses. And the food? Need I say more...that Greek pizza J-bird turned me on to was the BEST I have had in 20 years. Got to get back and eat some more soon.

Looking forward to the Buckeye with my Hammerhead roomie & to watching Evan streak by. Evan, what I told you about the Nationals is true. I look forward to watching you run Ohio & Hood in preparation.

Marty
La Costa Boy For Life