S.O.S. (Summerville Outlaw Slalom) Race, Saturday, 12/09/06

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

S.O.S. (Summerville Outlaw Slalom) Race, Saturday, 12/09/06

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:27 am

Same Announcement As The Other Race.
Only change is the date: Saturday, December 9.
And I added my new picture of the spot.
If I missed an edit anywhere and you see "Sunday," just change it to "Saturday."

Down the course ("down" being relative, of course.)

There will be two races as time and stamina permits:

1. Dual Hybrid of about 40-50 cones (6 to 9 foot spacing with moderate offsets)

2. Dual Tight slalom. (Think about my course at the Down Here Retreat Outlaw, only on a MUCH shallower grade.) Off the ramps, tight, wiggling and to the finish line in under 12 seconds.

Up the course. The runout has a little "loop," but the course is so shallow that run out speed will not be an issue.

Start Ramps
Timing System

I've got one start ramp ready to go. I'll get a second one built with no problem before race day.

I'm thinking we'll start a little bit later but not too late. The courses will be open for practice at 8:00 AM. That's early but "practice" will be until 10:30. Don't feel like you have to be there at 7:59 to get in two runs. There will be plenty of time for practice.

I want to start a little later so the Georgia and North Carolina guys can actually drive in on Saturday morning if they are so disposed. A 10:30 start means anyone in Statesville/Raleigh/Atlanta OR Dublin can leave about 6:00 and get to the race in plenty of time. Of course, anyone coming in Friday or earlier can sleep in a little on Saturday and still have plenty of time to ride.

If we start at 10:30, then here's the racing schedule:

10:30 - Qualifying
11:30 - Commence Dual Elimination (Allow two hours)
1:30 - Reset for Tight slalom(use hybrid qualifiying for seeding)
2:00 - Tight Slalom Practice
3:00- Tight Slalom Elimination
4:00 - DONE. Everybody can get out of town and be home at a reasonable hour.

(Of course, I hope everyone realizes this is not carved in stone? Attendance will have a lot to do with how long each item will last.)

Setting a dual tight course is fun on this surface. It's brand new asphalt and being a parking lot there is no crown.

I'm not even going to go into issues like "accommodations." Hell, there are six motels at the Summerville interstate exit and Charleston has something like 8,500 rooms. Go to Priceline and get one. Of course, as everyone knows gasoline prices are plunging and that only makes travel easier.

Getting to Summerville is easy (take Exit 199 off of I-26 and you're there.) Getting to the park will be a little bit trickier. It's off in the woods and takes a good set of directions to find. I guarantee you, though, that if you get to Dorchester County that I'll get you to the race!

It's hard to rip something off of Mapquest and keep it legible for online display. Here, though, is an attempt to at least give an idea of how to find the baseball park. The reason I'm doing it this way is there is no street address for the park and thus someone unfamiliar with the area (meaning everyone but me) wouldn't know how to do a search and get a map.

So, here it is:

Also, here I'll repeat the written instructions just in case it's too blurry to read on a print out:

• Take U.S. 17A To The Intersection With Richardson Ave.
• Turn EAST on to Richardson Avenue
• Take Richardson Avenue to the intersection With Owens Dr.
• Take A Right Turn onto Owens
• Follow Owens around the left-hand bend at the National Guard Armory
• Go To Stop Sign At Intersection With Boundary Street
• Turn Right Onto Boundary Street
• Gahagan Sports Complex Will Be On The Right
• Go Through The Front Parking Lot To The Access Road To The Maintenance Shed.
• Race Site Is Past Maintenance Shed Adjacent To The Back Two BaseBall Fields

Getting To Summerville:

If coming from North or West, Take Interstate 26 EAST to Exit 199. US 17A South is Main Street Summerville. It's about 4 miles from the Interstate to Richardson Avenue

If coming from the South, take Interstate 95 to Exit 53 in Walterboro, South Carolina. Follow road signs to US 17A NORTH. From Walterboro to Summerville is about 28 miles. Be careful in Walterboro: after exiting the Interstate and heading into the town, there is a stop light where you must turn RIGHT to stay on US 17A. If you miss your turn, you'll end up on US Hwy 15 heading out into the country.

Once in Summerville, watch the street signs for the intersection with Main Street (US Hwy 17A) and Richardson Ave. It's in the middle of town next to the Square and Town Hall sits at the intersection.

Oh, my cel is 843-469-1406 for the inevitable lost and wayward traveler who forgot to print all this out and put it in the car!

One other thing. Depending on turn out, I'm still hip to riding the Bus Depot Saturday night or both. Again, I can't stress how Outlaw it would be. There's also the chance the shed would be closed for an event. If I get downtown between now and the end of the month I'll try and go by the Visitor's Center to see if there's anything scheduled.

Hope to see everyone on the 9th!

WT
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Mather

Post by Jim Mather » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:43 pm

Hey WT.
I'm in!!
Haven't had much time to ride slalom lately, but I'm ready to wiggle some of this turkey off!

What's the weather been like and what do you expect temperature wise?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:05 pm

Jim,

Right now it's 76 degrees. What do I expect two weeks from now? Well, it could be in the '70s or it could be in the '30s.

It's December in the South. Ask me Friday the day before the race and I'll have a better idea of what's going to happen.

Seriously, it's just too early out for a forecast. Usually around here early December it pretty mild. We'll just have to see.

thomas edenton

Post by thomas edenton » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:42 am

I'm there.
Wesley, how did you like Saturday's game? I think it's the best one I've seen in a few years.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:53 am

Saturday's game?

Which one?

But seriously, I got a little sun burned, I was so hoarse coming home I couldn't talk, my head hurt all day Sunday and being out in the weather gave me a cold.

I wouldn't have traded it for all the money in the world!

Cocks - 31
Klempsun - Who Gives A Damn?

Looking forward to seeing you run some cones with us, Thomas. It'll be a fun day.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:14 pm

Saturday's weather is looking fabulous:

High of 56, NE breeze at 9 knots, 67% humidity. (Check Zip Code 29485.) Skate all day and not even break a sweat!

Don't forget to take the time and sign up on Silverfish if you are planning on coming:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... 6-12-9&c=1

Again, I plan on having everything set up around 8:30 or 9:00 and anyone can skate from then on. I said eliminations start at 10:30, but that's flexible depending on turnout. Also, in response to at least one request, I will be forwarding the racing results to the world ranking.

Hope to see everyone on Saturday!