Texas Cold Fusion Sizzler 2007

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:48 am

Seismic Dan and Texas Outlaw/Texas PoolShark, Skatebuilt Rider Stubbs. Now that is advertising. Truly these bros are STOKED.

Greg Stubbs

Post by Greg Stubbs » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:56 am

The big question is what is my left hand doing to make Dan smile like that?

And, for the record, I am not really hooked up by Skaterbuilt, I just love the product and support dAvO when and where I can. I actually rep for AFROMAN Skateboards and Longboards but I loves me some Skaterbuilt. dAvO just takes good care of me.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:30 am

Eddy, Marcus, Bosco, and whoever it may concern,

Do us a favor and make sure Cat, Bosco and Quiznos's REAL names are listed before forwarding the results to Corky for the World Ranking.

We're trying to avoid people having their points split between two names because one organizer submits the real name and another does a nick name.

It's not Corky's responsibility to sort out people's names. He just lists the names as they arrive. The result is a racer's points get split up and the actual total is diminished. As Corky is looking to reliquish the world ranking tally to a volunteer, it could get even more confusing in the future.

Let's avoid the aliases and use what's on the Driver's License.

Thanks.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

2007 Sizzler

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:16 pm

Alright, back home and have a few moments before the sk8park opens. We just finished another sk8@school program with 15 new skaters giving it a go.

MB & I got back yesterday right to the sk8park as we ended up being forced to stay in Chitown monday evening as our flight to Ottawa was cancelled. We we're pretty beat so we got it staffed and got out of here so we could get a little rest before getting back here for 8am this morning.

As far as my gear I have to Thank Kebbek as I raced my Cknuck model on Sunday. I qualified 1st. on old Pleasue Tools then put in a new set for the racing, not bad for right out of the package. Thank to Ian & Ed.

We want to Thank everyone who helped out with the Texas race. It was a blast! I guess the best part for me is always seeing the newbys and those that continue to get better & better. I don't have to name names you know who you are. By the way if you don't know it yet I'm pretty lame when it comes to names anyway.

There was some great racing all weekend. The Hybrid & TS courses we're well set. I got pushed to the max in the Hybrid and after testing the TS course for Karl I had to call it a day. The pain was just to much at this point, let alone the fatigue. Lissa Byrd, Thanks for giving me your opnion and as we both suspected Monday morning it all went away (to the back) as I packed for the airport.

To all the outlaws a big Thanks for all the work. Please continue to work together as we all enjoy the event and want to return to the great hospitality. Sorry I had to step back on Saturday but everything going on the last few months forced us into hibernation and we had to miss the evening party.

Sundays racing was great. I was afraid of Stryker. Never take James West for granted as I pointed out to him. Way to go Harms all the way through the weekend you continued to rip carrying on your improved abilities you gain year after year. Chappy, It's always great to race you, I do think this is one of the 1st. times we met in a head to head. Your right, you brought it all and you took it all out of me. A big thanks to everyone that signed my bandana at after the meal. Sorry, I didn't think about it earlier and I missed a few people.

I'll have to say I was a little Lucky to come away with the win. I was surprised that I was able to keep it up considering the lack of running cones over the several months let alone the overall lack of skating. Fighting through the pain at times was really hard but somehow everytime someone else stepped into the gates they inspired me to bury it deep down and give them my best.

To those that have posted (and that telephone call, Linda at Tracker) congrats I have to give a big Thank you. This is a great part of skateboarding and you folks inspire me to keep going. JG, TS used to be my specialty yes, now it's my worst. Why lack of practice. Why? Because it hurts too much! Funny how things change, EH!

A huge Thanks to MB for taking care of me and keeping me up when I'm down or just beat. You make me make it happen. She's gone home to work on the latest Grant proposal because it's due tomorow and we got some more good news today and after calculating everything up we are releived to see that we made the rent and insurance due tomorow.

Life is just so easy.

Take Care everyone. Keep skating and rolling along forever. If there are any typo's or mistakes I'll say sorry but there is no word or anything on this relik at the sk8park. Neither one of us, LOL.
Many Happy Pumps!

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:41 pm

Thank You Claude. You are a true Proffessional. Yea I was STOKED for my Canadian bro, he was due. You gave it everthing you had and kept going. I think those of us who saw Claude make one of the offsets when he pulled off a controlled 3 second slide and bring his board back in, talk about leanining into a cone. From their on it was his race. Luv you Claude. You kicked ASS.!!!!!! And yes that James West kid, Strikeforce, JBH and Chris are very impressive riders. Thank for coming to race with us we are honored. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws/Pavel Rider

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:51 pm

Sorry folks we left the following sponsors off the list. My apologies we are exausted. Thank you also to Pleasure Tool Bearings, Fullbagskates,FatBoy Longboards, Skaterbuilt and Pavel for sending Weapon-X. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws/Pavel Rider

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks for the acknowledgement Eddy! The 2007 Sizzler is the first event Fullbag Skates sponsors and we're proud of supporting the Texas Outlaws. My only regret is that I couldn't be there to race and party with you.

Claude: Congrats buddy! Way to start the season! :D Come visit for a session as soon as the snow melts and give us some pointers, we need'em...

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Texas Sizzler - Complete Results (PDFs)

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Saturday:

Speed trap
GS Group A
GS Group B
GS Group C

Sunday:

Open Tight
Hybrid Quals
Hybrid Elims A
Hybrid Elims B

Results provided by Dan Gesmer - Seismic Skate Systems.

Group A Giant Slalom
1 Jonathan Harms
2 Kevin Dunne
3 David Price
4 James West
5 Troy Smart
6 Matthew Franklin
7 Mike Ohm
8 Brad Jackman
9 Karl Floitgraf
10 Chris Miller
11 Ryan Smith
12 Steve Lavin
13 Andrew Oliver

Group B Giant Slalom
1 John Stryker
2 Norski
3 Lou Statman
4 Trish Erikson
5 Chris Doan
6 Ricky Byrd
7 Ed Cole

Group C Giant Slalom
1 Greg Stubbs
2 Chris Favero
3 Pete Cardenas Miniet
4 Cat Young
5 Russell Duke
5 Alex Quiznos
5 Eddy Martinez

Downhill Speed Trap
1 David Price 53.381 MPH
2 Jonathan Harms 53.097 MPH
3 Matthew Franklin 52.174 MPH
4 Andrew Oliver 51.020 MPH
5 James West 50.209 MPH
6 Chris Miller 48.662 MPH
7 Ryan Smith 48.000 MPH
8 Steve Lavin 47.506 MPH
9 Karl Floitgraf 44.709 MPH
10 Alex Quiznos 39.344 MPH
11 Eddie Martinez 31.104 MPH

Group A Hybrid Slalom
1 Claude Regnier
2 Chris Chaput
3 Jonathan Harms
4 John Stryker
5 Keith Hollien
6 Troy Smart
7 Brad Jackman
8 James West
9 Mike Ohm
10 Kevin Dunne
11 Josh Byrd
12 Karl Floitgraf
13 Chris Miller
14 Chris Favero
15 Ryan Smith
16 Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Group B Hybrid Slalom
1 Lou Statman
2 Ricky Byrd
3 Bruce “Norski” Bjortvedt
4 Ed Cole
5 David Price
6 Steve Lavin
7 Mike “Money” Niemann
8 Matthew Franklin
9 Clay Towery
10 Trish Erikson
11 Chris Doan
12 Greg Stubbs
13 Clifton Jennings
14 Sarah Byrd
15 “Cat” Young
16 Eddy Martinez
17 Bosco Farr
18 Zack Levitt
19 Alex Quiznos
20 Brett Anderson

Open Tight Slalom
1 Jonathan Harms
2 Keith Hollien
3 John Stryker
4 Kevin Dunne
5 James West
6 Troy Smart
7 Mike Ohm
8 Josh Byrd
9 Karl Floitgraf
10 Ryan Smith
11 David Price
12 Chris Miller
13 Bruce “Norski” Bjortvedt
14 Steve Lavin
15 Ed Cole
16 “Cat” Young
17 Sarah Byrd

DANIEL GESMER

President, Seismic Skate Systems, Inc.
Senior Editor, Naphte Longboard Magazine

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 am

I want to thank Eddie Martinez for taking such good care of me and making me feel at home in Texas again. I also want to thank Marcos, Bosco, Ryan, Ed, Mike $, Clay, Gorilla Biscuts, Stubbs, Zach, Brete, Woode and Pete for all they did for the race and for making me feel at home. I want to congratulate Lou on his victory in the Sizzler. Nice job Lou. I have to say I was bummed that both Gumby and Brandon did not make it to Austin for the Sizzler. I want to thank all of the sponsors that supplied prizes.

It was good to see so many of my friends from all over the country. It was good to met Cat and I have to say watch out ladies she will be a force to deal with in no time. I want to congratulate Jonathan Harms and Claude Regnier on their wins this weekend. Harm’s was racing as well as he ever has and finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 1st. Way to go Jonathan.

I want to thank C-Fav(Chris Favero) of CHIxILL Skateboards for making my models and all he and C-Nova(Chris Novatny) do for Slalom Skateboarding. I want to say it was great rooming with my CHIxILL teammate Steve Lavin and he was ripping all weekend. You should have seen him doing the downhill at 47+mph on a CHIxILL slalom deck with Radikal Talon’s and 3dm Avila’s and of course he was wearing his Top-Sider’s.

I want to thank Matt Franklin for finding Big View Drive. What a hill. I have to say this is the biggest hill I have been on since I started racing again in 2003 or I have ever raced on. I started slaloming in 1976 and have been to 52 cities for races since March of 2003. The hill at Lake Elsinore is the only hill to compare to Big View Drive. Big View might be steeper than Lake Elsinore, but I am not sure. Lake Elisnore hill is straight and Big View has a very nice curve in it. Both hills are about 1/4 mile long. As I repeatedly said this past weekend Big View IS NOT TOO BIG TO RACE SLALOM ON. Unfortunately we did not run slalom on that hill. They had a “course” set from the top of the hill or about 1100 feet to the finish. The first 4 cones on the “course” involved turning then it was into a speed tuck(not that I have much of one) until you crossed the finish line. That works out to about 200 feet of slalom and 800+ feet of downhill. I do not have a problem with speed tucking a cone or two, but tucking for 80% of the course is ridiculous. I think Downhill skateboarding is pretty cool and it is a major part of skateboarding, but it is not slalom. They are 2 different parts of skateboarding. To go a step further what if I went to an IGSA Downhill race and said I want put some cones down on the race hill. What do you think I would be told?

What could have been done on Big View hill? A slalom course could have been set that was slalom and was safe. If we had started about 200 feet from the top and set a slalom course from there it would have been a blast with speeds of about 35mph, which is about 5mph slower than what was run. That is still almost a 1000 feet for a slalom race. We tried to do this, but were not aloud to set a slalom course. The top speeds in the Downhill were over 50mph.

After I saw what they were calling slalom I refused to race. Remember, this was a sanctioned Slalom race for points, not some get together with a bunch of guys skateboarding on a hill. People spent a lot of money, time and effort to come to Texas to race slalom. When I first saw the hill on Friday evening I could not wait to race on that hill Saturday morning, but after I realized what the “course” would be I was just very angry and disappointed. I will say I was not going to miss a chance to bomb that hill though. I took about 6 or 7 runs on the “course” that was raced and it was fast & fun, but I had no desire to do a downhill race. What a beautiful hill.

Keith, Teams Radikal, CHIxILL & Oust.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:59 am

The Black Avenger will ride again. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws/Pavel Rider

photo courtesy of Borto

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:03 am

Remember the eyes of Texas are upon you. Shaking up the slalom world. See ya next year. Thanks to all who came and raced and thanks to all of the Texas Outlaws for supporting DownHill Slalom. See you next year. Bring on Luna, The Buckeye, US Nationals , The Worlds Eddy Texas Outlaws/Pavel Rider

Mike Ohm

sizzler

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Did anyone take any pictures at the Sizzler?

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Olmy my Homie they are on this site. Lots of Beefing action on the raw film footage we saw for the first time last night. I think Marcos is working on a DVD. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws/Pavel Skates.
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bonelessone.com/gallery2

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Eddy, nice pics. Mike I popped a few out here that I took (hit my pics link on the profile):

http://myspace.com/_topsider_

In the link above there is an underscore before and after the word "topsider". Like so : _topsider_

I have some more but the ones that are here are the better ones.
SL
LAVIN

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:31 pm

Hmm Sizzler shots, Sizzler shots, Yes I do believe that there are a few out there.

HMM Nice hill
Utah Tris Mike Ohm (Sunday's Course Setter) and Troy Smart
Troy Smart and Aliera Saturday
The usual Reverberates
The Byrds and Marcos
$$$ Statman and James West of TimeShip
Norski, Clay Towery, Cat and Stubbs Toast you! As well as make and add for Sunscreen
There's $$$ in that Box!
David Price
Bosco Cruising it. No more injury jokes please.
Cat
Karl F and Brad Jackman
Name that foot.

I'll have more later. But I KNOW that I was not the only one with camera those two days.
As Luck would have it . . .

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Photo's & Vids

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Great job on the photo's folks.

Also want to say sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry for missing the saturday night shindig this year. We we're absolutely beat from the work here at the sk8park and the delays with our arrival into Texas.

I'll get some time (I don't know when) to get some stuff together and post some footage on youtube. MB took some good stuff. We've got some of the B Hybrid along with some of the A qualifiers and elimination rounds.

Just recovering from a busy week of sk8camp and may actually be able to continue getting some of the footage edited for the clip. Monday we will have our 2nd planning meeting for the 4th Annual Dovercourt Open so hopefully we will get things pisted soon.

Thanks again to all the Texas Outlaws and the communities involved in the event. A special Thanks to all the racers that are making the scene so worthwhile.
Many Happy Pumps!

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:30 pm

That foot would be John Stryker - No Doubt (as our southern brothers would say). Those shoes were way ahead of me all weekend.
SL
LAVIN

Mike Ohm

tx

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks for the pics. I like the one with Troy and Trish. Why do they have the same expression? Ah yes, brother and sister.
Damn Skippy

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

More stuff

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Cat Young
The Viking Skates!!!
An Unhurt Bosco
Name that Dog
Name that Glove
Name that Road Rash
James West
Lou Statman On the GS
Some Looser from Boston
C Fav
Chris (Gorrilla Biscuits) Doan
A King of style Shredwerd
RKR Ricky Byrd

A Little vid for you all

And

Enjoy

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:49 pm

Where did the pictures of Big View go? Like the ones that were on the contest calendar.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:41 am

Here is the addy for Saturday's location.
from: 4701 S I-35, Austin, TX 78744 to: 30.413039,-97.866318 - Google Maps
and here is Sunday. from: 4701 S I-35, Austin, TX 78744 to: Resource Pkwy @30.613600, -98.261530 - Google Maps

See you there