Georgia Outlaw Slalom #2 Results

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Ron Olsen

Georgia Outlaw Slalom #2 Results

Post by Ron Olsen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:36 pm

Saturday June 9th was the Second Georgia Outlaw race. For the second race, we focused on a difficult tight slalom course. There weren't many clean runs, I think Keith had the only one all day. We had great weather, although it was getting hot, and traction became an issue with the heat. The course was 42 cones, in a series of pyramids, and it kept you off balance. The final 5 cones were exactly 5.5 feet center to center and you were probably near 20mph when you entered that section.

It was a safe event, helmets were worn by all, there were no crashes and I think everyone had a good time.

I enjoyed finally giving Keith a run for his money, and most of all I enjoyed watching Gabe Steptoe and J.R. McDowell progress as the day went on. Gabe certainly got better with each run, and with his last few runs was only about 8-10 cones short of nailing this course. Gabe brought along a set of his handmade Foiled Concepts boards, and they are just works of art. Check his website out, http://www.foiledconcepts.com for some samples of his work. Thanks for making the drive Gabe.

Anne Howard came out despite her lower back injury and pain, and made several runs. She was our womens division winner. Tony Hall, who over the past year has been my main training partner, made a strong showing and his 5th place proved his practice effort is paying off.

Marty Schaub was back in action, and looking strong. He was sporting a killer 661 helmet, and his new "Skennett" truck. Look for Marty this season as he continues his recovery from shoulder surgery this past winter.

Marion Karr raced well, and just makes any event better with his prescence. MC Hammerhead, Mr. Dangerous, whatever you call him, he's one of the nicest (and coolest) people you can be lucky enough to meet. Thanks for making the drive Marion, we all appreciate it.

Keith Hollien was the GOS winner for the second time. At least we got on the same second with Keith this go round. Keith is a true pro, fit, fast and prepared, you have to bring your "A" game to get close this this guy. Keith thank you and Michelle for coming from FLAUSA to race with us. Check out Keith's nice Dog in the GOS #2 video. (upcoming)

Final times for the GOS #2 TS:

1. Keith Hollien 10.290
2. Ron Olsen 10.392
3. Marty Schaub 10.682
4. Marion Karr 11.694
5. Tony Hall 13.688

We also ran a hybrid course during the afternoon. The times for the second event were (time computed with .2 cone penalty):

1. Keith Hollien 11.777
2. Ron Olsen 11.790
3. Marty Schaub 12.090
4. Marion Karr 13.013
5. Gabe Steptoe 14.744
6. Tony Hall 16.069

Women

1. Anne Howard 20.072

For all you GEARHEADS:

Keith rode a new Foam Chi+ill Hollien model - the TS version. He ran his Hollien blue Radikals, front and rear. He ran a variety of wheels, but finished up on 66mm Zig Zags in Orange duro for his fastest times.

I (Ron) rode an "old" AXE 1 (the first generation mold that was a little smaller and thinner than the current ones), Radikal front and Splitfire Gen 2 (the red coated ones) on 35 degree baseplate. I rode 66mm Zig Zags, Green/Yellow on front, and Yellow/Green on rear. I used JBH's spacers in his wheels.

Marty also rode an old AXE 1, with a "Skennett" modified Bennett front, and a Geezer-X modded TTC in the rear. Marty rode Red Hot Spots up front, and white Avalons on the rear.

Marion rode a Pavel foamcore, with GOG front truck. I think his rear was a Splitfire truck. Maion opted for Cambria's all the way around, with a red and white combo.

Tony rode a "new" AXE 1, with a Tracker midtrack on front, and a G1 Splitfire rear. Tony alternated between hotspots, and Zig Zags during his runs.

Timing was done by the Equine Electronics wireless timer. It worked very well for us all day, with only one missed time, which was caused by the finish line timer getting moved off line by a very hard hit cone. After realignment, we were back in business.

Video will be posted on Youtube shortly - I'll post an update when it's available.

Jay Mishoe

Sorry

Post by Jay Mishoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:34 am

It sure sounded like fun!!!!Sorry I missed it again!!!!
Downhillbilly

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:22 am

Ron,

I can't tell: are you stepping it up a notch or is Hollien losing it? :-)

Well, it's like I told Karr: Keith is OLDER this year!

I can only imagine the heat out there Saturday. I'm glad y'all got to skate, though. If you do it in July I'll do my best (again) to make the trip.

Ron Olsen

GOS #2 Video

Post by Ron Olsen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:42 am

Eric Sanders

Georgia Outlaw slaolm #2

Post by Eric Sanders » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:13 pm

Ron, sounds like your gonna be a force to watch out for this year. Gabe has improved so quickly since the first time I met him at the last Red Clay Cup, everyone keep an eye on this man. Saw an old picture in skateboarder at the Catalina Classic of Marty schaub tearing up the course, Tony Hall is still faster than me, but that's fine. Hollien is Hollien=
nice guy, too dang fast, and Marion looks intimateding when actually he's very cool to meet.
Gonna hit up the next two outlaws you throw in georgia. Where is the Terror of Trade St. been?

Jeremy Coffman

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:20 am

Funny you should mention Gabe's improvements. He was on fire today in West Virginia. He got third place and gave D.Holt a run for his money. Gabe just kept getting fast every run and cleaner too.