New South Carolina Spot

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

New South Carolina Spot

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:34 am

Tom "Scabus Maximus" Edenton did the good deed of the year and scoped out a good South Carolina slalom spot:

It's a dead end, dual lane street into a new business park about 20 miles north of Columbia and 60 south of Charlotte. It has a long, sweeping downhill section that bottoms out and immediately translates into a straight uphill run-out:

Of course, the long run out is also ideal for a tight slalom running this was. Including the cul-de-sac at the top of the hill. It's long enough for a good 40- or 50-cone TS course.

Tom and I skated it for about four hours in some good, sultry oppressive heat. Both side of the median are great for setting courses and the bust factor is about as close to zero as it can get. He and I are talking about doing some outlaw stuff later this year when it cools off.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:20 am

VERY cool spot! My wife's sister and her family are emigrating to South Carolina this summer (I'm not sure exactly where yet, maybe Lexington?), So when we finally move to Utah and I have to come visit them, I might just have to bring my board and give you guys a call!

Martin.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:01 pm

Lexington is a suburb of Columbia. I'm about 115 miles from this spot but Tom is right down the road. I'm sure, though, we'll be hitting it regularly.

Just let us know when you get this way.

Ron Olsen

Post by Ron Olsen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:58 pm

WT -

Excellent find by Thomas! When are we going to have a session? We all need to get together. Thomas has been nice enough to come down to GA a couple times to race, I owe him a return trip.

Martin -

If you are ever going to be in SC, Please let me/us know! I'd enjoy meeting and riding with you. Cheers!

Ron

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Ron,

I don't know about you but right now I'm barely motivated to walk to the mail box much less run cones! It is just brutally hot this month. I've been skating a little but mainly just going over to the walking trail after 6:00 at night. Even then by 6:30 I'm wasted.

Whenever you guys want to drive over (it's about 3 hours from north Atlanta through Greenville) we'll do something but I'm just not in the mood to torture myself by staying out in 100-degree heat with 78% humidity. That's why I specifically said in my post we'd do something "after it cools off", if you know what I mean?
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:26 pm

Ron Olsen wrote:WT -

Excellent find by Thomas! When are we going to have a session? We all need to get together. Thomas has been nice enough to come down to GA a couple times to race, I owe him a return trip.

Martin -

If you are ever going to be in SC, Please let me/us know! I'd enjoy meeting and riding with you. Cheers!

Ron
Ron, it would be a pleasure to ride with you!

Martin.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:31 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is the surface: perfect. A 8.75 out of 10. It only doesn't get a 9.5 because, well, there's a couple of spots where the combination of heavy trucks and probably some poor road bed construction has led to this new road to have a crack in one spot off the side in one lane.

The surface is just a great combination of asphalt with just enough stone to make it HARD but smooth. It's not brand new jet-black asphalt but that's really a good thing because it doesn't get oily and soft when it gets hot.

A really good crank-yanking fast hybrid course on this hill and 86 duros would still be more than adequate for traction while ensuring a fast ride. I think newer slalomers still unsure of their skills could ride something like a 77 or 78 and still feel some real speed on this hill/surface combination.

One caution, though, that Tom discovered: you can see in the pics there are DRAINS at the low point on both hills. The drain openings ARE BIG ENOUGH TO SWALLOW CONES! We'll have to remember to bring something to block the openings. They are like pinball targets and invariably a cone will it's way into the corner pocket!