Southern Culture On The Skids

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:16 am

And their Coach is the butt wiper of the king!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:35 am

Jonathan Harms wrote:LSU in the champeenship game? Ain't that about a b*tch! Ohio State deserves it--I guess--but two-loss LSU? Hell, they got progressively worse as the year went on, and they BARELY beat Tennessee last night. I fart in their general direction... :-(
Going 11-2 in the SEC is like going undefeated in any other conference.

Just ask the previously undefeated Sockeyes about taking on a 1-loss team Florida.

Not to mention the best defensive player in the NCAA, Glenn Dorsey, will be back. Matt Flynn and about five other starters were on the bench last night and they STILL won. Plus, don't forget this: EIGHT of Lose You's opponents are going to bowls and 10 ended the season with winning records. What's the Sockeye's opponents' win-loss record? Or Hawaii? Or Kansas? Or even friggin' So Cal?

But, I guess this is just another opportunity to OS Who to roll over some slow, lumbering SEC team that won't have a chance.

Hell, even Carolina is 2-0 against them on New Year's Day.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:48 am

I'm just bitter. Missouri lost last night to Oklahoma and looked awful doing it. Unlike LSU, though, two-loss Mizzou only lost to ONE team, not two.

Actually, I would be interested to know Mizzou's opponents' combined won-lost record to see how they stack up. Let me know when you get that added up... :-)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:04 am

Jonathan Harms wrote:I'm just bitter. Missouri lost last night to Oklahoma and looked awful doing it. Unlike LSU, though, two-loss Mizzou only lost to ONE team, not two.

Actually, I would be interested to know Mizzou's opponents' combined won-lost record to see how they stack up. Let me know when you get that added up... :-)
I'm not that interested.

After all, it's just a Big Eightwelve team.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 pm

This sign really is on Interstate 26 heading out of Charleston:

Mike Ohm

bcs

Post by Mike Ohm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:25 pm

WT, I know you don't hate the Buckeye's, you really hate the BCS. I support a playoff system anyway. And by the way, I thought I was your friend. You should be happy for me. You too Harmsy.

Happy Holidays!
Damn Skippy

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:54 am

It's been 27 years since Yoko Ono had someone to spend all his time and energy apologizing for her spectacular lack of talent.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:58 pm

I gotta complain.

First of all, everyone has an opinion about delivery pizza. Some just bad mouth one or the other because they have a lot of time on their hands. I think for the most part Papa John's is better than Dominos. But I've eaten a lot of Dominos in my time. Back in the day on campus there was only ONE delivery pizza in 1979 and that of course was Dominos. Furthermore, I've found different franchises do differently. We got two here in Summerville. Get a Dominos from Main Street and it's downright bland. Get one from Dorchester Road on the other side of town and it's like Manna from heaven. Really good stuff.

So, anyway, Dominos has this deal: $10.99 for a Large with ANYTHING on it. Well, it sounds like an ok deal. I call and order it with Pepperonis, Sausage, Mushrooms and Extra Cheese. The guy on the phone says it will be right up.

I got to admit: it was a good deep dish delivery pizza. Good crust, not to chewy and cheese everywhere.

BUT

No wonder they offered everything on it. They could afford to: I think the whole 14" pizza had three pepperonis, two pieces of sausage and maybe a half dozen mushrooms. I had to actually HUNT for the toppings. I will admit they layed on the cheese but that was just to cover up the lack of anything else.

Again, I do think I got my $10.99 worth. It was ok. But advertizing it with whatever topping combination desired is a bit of stretch if they are only going to pretend to put anything on it.

Oh, well, whadda' ya' gonna' do?

caveat emptor

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:I'm not that interested.
I'd attempt to commiserate about your pizza thing, but...well, see above. :-)

On the other hand, at least ONE "Big Eightwelve team" appeared to have its head on straight in the last couple of days. Yee haw. Granted, tiger vs. pig is by definition a bit of a mismatch. Now, tiger vs. tiger, that'd be interesting. Maybe next year. At least there ain't no chickens messin' things up...

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote: Now, tiger vs. tiger, that'd be interesting.
It happened.

Auburn - 23
Klempsun - 20

it was a great day for football. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Speaking of the Big Tweleven, how 'bout that Big Least Champion 'neers?

Right now Bud Wilkinson is rolling in his grave.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:Speaking of the Big Tweleven, how 'bout that Big Least Champion 'neers?

And Dave Gale is probably dancing on it (barefoot, of course).

And regarding the tiger vs. tiger thing, I meant two GOOD teams. Well, one good team and LSU, actually. :-)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:48 pm

I tell ya', if the OS Who Sockeyes collapse this Monday like they did last year against Fluh Duh then I think Mizzou should demand a recount.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:
Wesley Tucker wrote:Speaking of the Big Tweleven, how 'bout that Big Least Champion 'neers?

And regarding the tiger vs. tiger thing, I meant two GOOD teams. Well, one good team and LSU, actually. :-)
Oh yeah!! How ' bout them 'eers! Coach Rod can keep on walkin'
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:31 am

Dave Gale wrote:
Jonathan Harms wrote:

Oh yeah!! How ' bout them 'eers! Coach Rod can keep on walkin'
A student asked me (being sa life-long Buckeyes fan) if I liked WVU. I replied with the old quote "My enemy's enemy is my friend." We both hate Michigan, so it's all good!
HOSS

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 pm

For all the OS Who Sockeyes in the world:

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Anyone know when winter is supposed to get here?

thomas edenton

Springtime in Feb?

Post by thomas edenton » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:06 am

Now if we could get just a bit more global warming happening maybe we could have a coastline up around, say, Orangeburg (the 601 exit would make a killer break).

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:40 am

Can you imagine the turmoil if Orangeburg got ocean-front property?

I can hear the home folks (ahem) now complaining about skyrocketing tax rates and all them interlopin' yankees buying up the good plots.

(Just ask the original inhabitants down at Daufuskie and Hilton Head.)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:44 am

thomas edenton

Post by thomas edenton » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:02 am

"Today Deutschland! Tomorrow, well...... maybe next year."

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:39 pm

No . . . This IS Next Year!

(I still got one of those around here some place.)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun May 04, 2008 6:49 pm

I've discovered a new hobby and it's a little scary how addictive it's become.

On a lark last week I did a YouTube search for Bill Watrous. Wow. Like, 10 or 12 different videos and most of them in really high-quality sound. Plug the lap top into the stereo and the sound is very high fidelity. Granted, some of the videos are by some guy with a camea phone and not worth a damn, but many are just great.

So, I started looking for more. I think EVERYBODY is now on YouTube:

Stan Kenton
Maynard Ferguson
Weather Report
Duke Ellington
Count Basie
Albert Mangelsdorff
Clark Terry
Dizzy Gillespie
Bird
Christian Lindberg
Van Cliburn
Horowitz
Stokowski
Von Karajan
Thelonius Monk
Woody Herman

Christ, it just goes on and on. I'm sure there's some Miles Davis on there also but he just gets on my nerves. There's a really great vid with mediocre sound of Joe Pass on a TV Kinescope in the '50s playing a Fender JAGUAR. Who knew?

Here's the deal: go to Radio Shack (or Best Buy or whatever) and get a stereo splitter for the micro output jack (one jack splits into two stero input prongs.) Plug it into the stereo AUX input. Put the stereo on AUX and call up a YouTube song.

Well, I guess it might help if the house is wireless. Unless there's a coincidental convergance of the stereo being near your internet connection.

Anyway, I've been stunned not only by the sheer volume of musical stuff on YouTube but also the quality of the sound when sent through a decent Kenwood stereo. I guess it's weird using YouTube for a music source, but what the hell?

Seeing Jaco Pastorius on stage is a little unnerving, but other than that some of it's even fun to watch. What's really fun is looking at the videos of some of Ferguson, Kenton and Herman's bands in the '70s and '80s. Man, you wanna talk about WHITE? I've seen more of the brothers at a Southern Heritage Rally on the state house steps than anywhere near these bands.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 am

This was a feature about my high school and my hometown that aired over the weekend on SportsCenter. Not about skateboarding but y'all may find it a bit inspirational if you have the time and of course it hits kind of close to home for me:

Part One

YouTube - OTL: Charleston, SC Firefighter Basketball Coach (Pt. 1)

Part Two

YouTube - OTL: Charleston, SC Firefighter Basketball Coach (Pt. 2)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:59 am

THIS is why we all get up in the morning and go to work:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/monterey ... ng/979838/

thomas edenton

Post by thomas edenton » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:54 pm

+1 for SEC teams. The Gamecocks pulled a shut out on NC ST 34 to zip, nada, zilch, nothing.
Even MORE entertaing was Klempsun's humiliation last night against The Crimson Tide (34 - 10). This was the BEST the ACC has to offer? You've got to be kidding. Four sacks and 1 (that's right...1) rushing yard. Totally manhandled all night long by a mid-rank SEC team. All Tammy could do was pick stuff off of the field and put it in his mouth. What the hell is he eating? Does it anytime the Kitties get served. Nervous habbit I guess.

I was close to vomiting with ESPN comentary at the start of the game. All of that "You better watch the Klempsun Kitties" tripe. It was nice to hear them quickly shut the hell up.
I'll bet Tammy still get a pay raise. That's how they do things in Kitty Town.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:15 pm

Did you watch Tommy's show today?

It was all about how Klempsun "contolled" Bammer's running game. "I don't think the defense gave up a big run all night."

The highlights were all of Klempsun's D giving up 2 yards . . . giving up 6 yards . . . giving up 4 yards . . . giving up 5 yards . . . giving up 8 yards . . . giving up 1 yard . . . giving up 9 yards . . . Touchdown.

Repeatedly.

And then Harper says this morning on the show, "we were just one play away from getting back in the game."

Oh, and Spiller's touchdown run was repeated about nine time to fill up at least two minutes of Bowden's endless explanations.

So, the "cream" of the ACC gets BLASTED on national television and the "curd" from Blacksburg got blasted by Skip Holtz and ECU.

All around, it was a good weekend.

thomas edenton

Post by thomas edenton » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:56 pm

I guess "controlled" has a different meaning in Kitty Town. If by "controlled" they mean getting run over AND leaving Alabama recievers wide open in both short and long passing plays, then I guess they're right.

I can't watch the Tammy Show; my laughing wakes up the neighbors. One would never know that they lost.

Harper was one play away from seeing what an earthworm's home looks like, he was mashed down to the ground so many times. The ACC must have some pretty crappy criteria for naming Player of the Year. I might be a contender!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Only In Not Carolina

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:13 am

Had to post this from today's WALL STREET JOURNAL:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1220203 ... lenews_wsj

"An embarrassing stunt Saturday -- two parachuters who were supposed to land in North Carolina's Kenan Stadium with the game ball wound up in Duke's Wallace Wade Stadium instead"

I mean, C'mon! How hard can it be to find a stadium filled with 60,000 people?

"Well, ya' know, they both wear BLUE and from 5,000 feet it's just kind of hard to tell, ya' know?"

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:55 pm

Two South Carolina teams flip flop in this week's polls. One plummets out of the ranking and another squeezes in with a tie at #24.

Bad news is Jaw Ja fell back to #2. Was hoping for a #1 ranked matchup next week but I doubt it'll happen UNLESS Jaw Ja just throttles Central Michigan and wins 84-0. Otherwise So Cal stays there with a week off.

thomas edenton

Post by thomas edenton » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 am

Did you by chance catch Tennessee and UCLA? I found myself somewhat torn for a favorite. Do I want to see any SEC team win out of conference games OR is my immence dislike for the Great Pumpkin overshadowing all else? I went with the overshadowing.

I did get a kick (no pun intended) seeing UCLA's stadium, though. Reminded me of my old high school stadium as they are about the same size. I'm kidding, of course (but not by much).

I was suprised to hear during the game commentary that UCLA's quarterback was earlier interested in playing for Hawaii. Do they not drug test college athletes? He must have never seen Hawaii play. Of course, the only time I've seen Hawaii play was against Georgia (I think last year and I think it was Georgia. Things get fuzzy late in the season) in what must have been the the Napa Auto Parts Grevious Abuse Bowl. Whoever came up with that pairing needed some psych-ward play-time.

thomas edenton

Post by thomas edenton » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Gamecock Fan = Masochist.

That is all.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:18 am

Hanna's a bust here. The eye is like 50 miles offshore and 85 miles from me. Rain may pick up tonight but that's about all. I think Virginia, DC and Jersey will probably get more from this storm than we have.

Coming up, though, is Ike and it's already a Cat 4 and still off the leeward islands. This one could be really exciting.

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:Hanna's a bust here. The eye is like 50 miles offshore and 85 miles from me. Rain may pick up tonight but that's about all. I think Virginia, DC and Jersey will probably get more from this storm than we have.

Coming up, though, is Ike and it's already a Cat 4 and still off the leeward islands. This one could be really exciting.
Classic Tucker after a Gamecocks loss :)

My ACC's just sandbagging....

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.....

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Hey Tom,

Your right. It gets downright quiet in here after 2 losses. Well one USC played a great game yesterday, nuff said about #1. And with that effort yesterday I expect another red team to be #3 or 4 come Monday.

It's proof that you need to beat the patsies in your schedule like a drum, not let them score 21 points.
La Costa Boy For Life

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Northwestern wildcats 3-0.getting the remants of ike up here in evanston.going to the flea market with sidlo in 5mins.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:19 am

Yep, SoCal looks awesome again.

Surprised Georgia only dropped one spot. From where I was sitting it looked like the Gamecocks just beat themselves. The Dawgs certainly didn't roll....

Even though my Jackets got screwed by a game changing bad call, the ACC looked ALOT better this weekend.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Carolina is 2-0 all time against Ohio State
Oregon State just beat So Cal.

So, OSU beat USC but USC is undefeated against OSU.

The only thing left to do is for Carolina to play Oregon state.

The real question, though, is could anyone tolerate the headline,

Cocks Pound Beavers

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:53 pm

I think the real headline would be:

Beavers Smother Cocks

or

Beavers Squeeze Cocks

or

Beavers Deny Cocks

My daughter was at the game when Oregon State killed USC yesterday night.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Ah, so that's what it's like to win in the conference?

It's been so long I thought it was just a old wives tale grandparents told to make kids go to sleep at night.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:02 am

Have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE EVERYTHING about the state of North Carolina?

. . . for now.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Klempsun fires Tommy Bowden and the stock market goes up 500 points.

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Howdy to all my old slalom bros. Hope everyone's well.

Georgia Tech 45
Georgia 42

WOOHOO!!!!

That's all....

Oh, and WT....my condolences brother.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:53 pm

How'd I see that comin'?

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:10 am

Well, I feel your pain. :wink:

7 looooong years since Tech beat Ga. If the Dawgs didn't have Matt Stafford, it would've been....ugly. I'm officially sold on Paul Johnson.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:06 am

It's been a while.

The 'Cocks just STOMPED the Kentucky mildcats by 18 points. Led most of the game by more than 20. First season sweep of the ky jelly crew in 12 years.

Klempsun got their ass kicked at home by Va Tech.

The 'Cocks are on top of the East, three games to go against decent but not overwhelming opponents and look to get a decent seed in the NCAAs.

Oh, and unlike Klempsun we've actually won games before in Chapel Hill.

It's a beautiful thing.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Man, talk about a bummer?

Here in Columbia there's a man-made lake that's part of an upscale development. The lake has a pretty cool concrete spillway:

Well, over on Silverfish in the Southeast forum some people were discussing skating it and how to get there and all that stuff.

THEN

Yesterday a local TV station runs this story:

Parent wants to prevent further deaths at Columbia lake - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

I didn't know. Seems last winter a couple of young teenage girls fell in the lake off the edge of the spillway. Neither could swim and drowned in the cold water.

So, just as a new spot is discovered for some possible decent bank riding (kind of hard to get a good back and forth, though, wth the width), the neighborhood is up in arms, wants more fences, wants more security patrols, wants a complete shutdown.

Oh, well. Sometime things are just too good to be true.