What happened to those posts/ where'd they go....

Organization and Administration

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:47 pm

Where did all those posts go?

Problems with the update?

It's almost like being "somewhere else"!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:29 pm

They were asked to remove their own posts.

If you don't like the editing at 'somewhere else' why do you continue to advertise there?

Have ever discussed the random editing policies with that webmaster?

Advertisers do have some power on commercial websites.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:47 pm

I was asked to take it offline, which is where this whole thing started. I went in and edited my posts. The posts were then removed by this site's webmaster, rightfully so.

I apologize to all of you for bringing this matter online. It was a mistake on my part.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:57 pm

Slappy, I hope you'll agree that a simple explanation such as Jacks was needed. My own post had been removed with no explantion, and thats a little rude dontcha fink?
Doesnt take much to keep spectators informed.

As for using 'power' as an advertiser on NCDSA, well I wouldnt dream of doing such a thing. I advertise there to support the UK forum, and NCDSA in general. Perhaps its my British sensibilities but generally in the UK a publisher takes NO regard to what his advertisers say, preserving freedom of the press. Editorial decisions are best left to the editor. but nothing is clear cut or easy inthis world.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:49 am

what did I miss? I feel like I missed an episode of the ongoing soap opera.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:55 am

Trust me, the Jewellry Channel is more interesting.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:33 am

I removed the post after warning both parties that their argument should remain offline.

It was interesting to read your perspective on British advertising and editorial, refreshing no less.

I don't like removing posts, I made a choice, I think it was a good one.

Best to you all.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:21 am

Michael, I agree with your statements when applied to actual press.

I would disagree with the suggestion that a bulletin board where anyone with two brain cells and a finger can post his or her delusions is credible press.

On a side note, you might find it interesting that the US does not have an Advertising Standards Authority like the UK to censor its ads. We leave it up to the consumer.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:14 am

Not sure what your comment about the ASA, (Advertising Standards Authority) is meant to mean...my ad is fine, but your welcome to complain if you want.

The ASA is a self regulating body that can only respond to complaints from the public. It does not censor ads, only makes sure they are "legal, decent, honest and truthful". They have no actual power
Ad agencys can submit ads to them for prior approval.

What that has to do with editorial control is a little beyond me.

Jon Warburton

Post by Jon Warburton » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:36 am

HI ALL
mike wrote"Perhaps its my British sensibilities but generally in the UK a publisher takes NO regard to what his advertisers say, preserving freedom of the press."
mm sorry boss but i beg to differ. i just picked up a random magazine in my house -SEA ANGLER.
there is a direct and complete correlation between editorial content and the advertising contained within.
its the same in most journals, advertisers pay, and they dont just get their adverts they get editorial content too.
and as for freedom of the press, GOOD JOKE MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope no-one takes offense, i know mike wont :wink:

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:16 pm

Removing any post is unfortunate and should be avoided as much as possible. The idea of this forum is to have active discussions on things which concern all of us involved in slalom skateboarding. The idea is also to accumulate these discussions into a database of knowledge for those who are about to discover this sport and is looking for information. All to promote the sport of slalom skateboarding.

With this view topics which deviate from this idea or use foul language, contain direct personal accusations etc, should be avoided. Hopefully directly by the posters, avoiding to post such topics and if not, by the moderators, who's work it is to defend the interest of the sport.

In most cases there's no benefit for the sport and it's future development to keep personal disputes in threads, so the moderators have the right and should use that right, to keep the focus of the forum. Unfortunately positive posts, such as Micheal Stride's and Claude Regnier's might also have to be removed, not to be left "alone" without the other posts of that specific topic.

It's unfortunate that this time it happened to a thread that Jack Smith originated. Jack, who's the single person who has done the most to promote this sport during the last couple of years. Thank's for all your hard work, Jack! We probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you.

/Jani

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:34 pm

Michael, I have nothing against you, your company, or your ads. I'm sure you've helped the European skate community with your services and killer publicity.

My comment about the ASA was just a light dig at the 'freedoms' of the British press. It appears the ASA is a great resource for identifying false advertising. However their rules for 'taste & decency' are pretty suspect. (Obviously no country is perfect.)

It appears my sensibilities are more in line with Mr. Warburton. So if he doesn't offend you...I hope I don't. :wink: