advice needed

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Alessandro Trevisan

advice needed

Post by Alessandro Trevisan » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:44 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I might be asking something trite and boring, but:
I have a long time been a downhill slalom lover.
In the late 70's I owned:
1-Henry Hester Fibreflex deck with Bennett Pro truks and mixed up Kryptos;
2-Steve Cathey Fibreflex, Gullwing Phoenix and Kryptos.
The streets I used to skate have been newly paved, spring is here so I decided to dust them.
Now......the Henry Hester has gone. Lost! But I found the Cathey-Gullwing set.
Unfortunately the Hester-Bennett was my favourite, so I may have committed a crime/sacrilege simply by:
-removing the grip from the Fibreflex deck (kept the sticker - still in good condition);
-filling the holes with fibreglass filler;
-turning the deck upside down;
-covering the new top side with new grip (completely);
-drilling new holes near the ends (Hester style);
-re-mounting the Gulls and Kryptos; (I am waiting for a new set of white 3DM's).
After this painful confession I need some info or advice.
I have always been told that the Gulls are fab slalom truks but mine are awful stuff.
They are dull and simply don't turn.
What am I to do?
Change the rubber spacers, wedge them?
Please help.
Thank you
Alessandro

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:21 pm

Alessandro,

Bennett is making a comeback and I've heard new trucks should be available soon??

Until then if you can find a Tracker 106 RTX front truck and wedge it 15-20 degrees that should
get the front of your deck turning pretty nicely. One of your gullwings might make an OK rear
truck while you try other more modern rear trucks.

I have an old Fibreflex Henry Hester......It no longer gets used as my modern slalom
equipment has out classed it, but it is a joy to look at!!

Search this forum for all kinds of info and have fun!!

Tod

Eric Brammer

Old Gullwings HPG's

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:41 pm

New bushings, soft ones, will help make these turn. White Khiros or softer RollerSkate bushings on the front truck is the best bet.
The angle set-up is Tricky, especially with a 'flexy' board. You'll have to play with the bushing's placement/adjustment along the kingpin to find 'the spot' where Gullwings turn. I've found that they tend to work better on stiffer boards, and also with a 'jab' timing in the turns. If you're smooth and deliberate in your pump or turn style, the Gulls may never feel quite right.
There are many other new trucks that IMHO simply outclass the old HPG Gullwings. They are a nice wall-hanger/collector truck though. :-)
Don't be bumming on flipping of the Fibreflex... I've got one bolted onto the bottom of an old Caster Inouye that succumbed to Acid Rain and peeled off a layer of fiberglass, making it too soft to ride. Now that 'combo' board has survived an extra 20 years of sk8ing, and on terrain that the FF would've folded on. It's a Skateboard, so Ride It.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Alessandro Trevisan

Post by Alessandro Trevisan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:58 pm

Thank you guys, point taken!!
I've been surfing the forum, read your posts between the lines and I have....... dumped my stone age combo.
I have kept the white avalons with skf bearings though (surprisingly fast) and I am ready to give them some decent partners.
Unluckingly I'm on a strict budget. What would you suggest? I have seen some roe racing decks and an insect city bomber on sale. And of course some trackers rtx/s.
Let me know.

Ah!.......The forum reassured me a lot returning some photos of pretty old walruses dancing through cones.
Thank you
Alessandro