Setup For Kids???

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Jack Quarantillo

Setup For Kids???

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:05 pm

My son is 7, and he likes all things skateboarding...

He's run the GS course at the DC Outlaw races on his "modified popsicle stick".

It is:
Rocket power double kick deck (same shape and size as every other "street" deck out there, ~14" wheelbase.
Some unknown truck (Slide?) (Stock white clouds replaced by blue Doh-Dohs)
Abec11 60mm 75a No Skoolz

He's getting a new street deck for Christmas, so I thought maybe the old one could be designated for slalom.

Anyone have any experience setting up a board for a very small (~50lbs) person?

Would seismics with max-light springs work?

I've seen people recommending the G* trucks for "junior" setups.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:35 pm

Jack

I run 105 Siesmics on a Roe unlimited and have let quite a few of the young ones around town try it 7-12yr. I even put some of the narrow new school wheels on it so when they foot push to get going they don't hit the wheels but I think the trucks are just to wide. and once under way the small kids can't get the deck to turn at all. (I run the green x-tra light springs totally loose) It's my opinion that the whole board, trucks and all have to be scaled down.

I think the G-trucks are even 100mm hangers.

Maybe you can tell me if there's any decent turning narrow (under 90mm) new school trucks out there.

an old fiberflex team rider w/some old lazers is what comes to mind and smaller offset TS wheels. Geez, thanks alot Jack now you got me thinking.

Have a great Christmas, Tod

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:25 pm

...ditto on the stopper (single hole laboratory vial stopper) for kids. I got mine for my little Elijah from Howard Gordon. He may have a source. You will have to cut them down as they are quite tall and we use the old 101 Indy truck wedged forward on a 4ply Attila Response. Jacob is BIG at 120lb and Elijah is 55lbs and the board works for both.

Make a slalom specific board from your child. When they ride it around their kickflipper friends, they will get a whole bunch of looks. Kids somehow like this (hmm, adults do too) and you will find them borrowing your cones to set up courses.

I hope to read more about your childs adventure in slalom soon.

adam

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:21 pm

Jack,
Tracker Midtracks are 86mm wide and now seem to be shipped with the better RT-S baseplate rather than the not-as-good B2.

I have a pair of the 100mm G*Trucks that you can let your son try.

I found some rubber stoppers in the plumbing section of my local hardware store. They don’t have a hole, but they have a dimple at the center that could be drilled for the kingpin.

And now there are the soft Radikal bushings. If you buy those and they turn out to be too hard, I will buy them from you.

Edit: I also have Midtracks, Indy 101s, and Tracker RT X/S trucks that I will bring for your son to try also. Private message me before the next race to remind me to bring the trucks. Get the stoppers ready beforehand so we can set up something.
Last edited by Wes Eastridge on Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:56 am

I too think that you need to scale thing down to size, and especially shorter wheelbase. I'm with WesE on the MidTracks. G*trucks would be good too. Or even RTX if you used No Skoolz. But with any of these I think for 50lbs you'd need to shape some soft green Stimulators into a V-Cut bottom bushing and a very coned top bushing. Or maybe shape some of the new soft Radikal bushings.

I've been using a MidTrack for a front truck with G*Truck bushing for myself at 165lbs. So even with G*Truck soft blue bushing you'd probably want to make the bottom one with a v-cut, or even a square-cut in it and maybe cone the top one even more, or even a concaved cone shape. But my Mid-Track with B2 baseplate came with even a smaller kingpin bolt than the RTXs have, so you migt want a taller one if you use the B2 base.

Do you have a high speed drill and a Dremel? Put the Stimulator bushing on a 3/8 hex head bolt (smaller round top) with a lock washer on either side of the bushing and screw it down so it won't slip, chuck it up on the drill or drill press and then use the Dremel with an appropriate grinding bit to shape the Stimulator.

You could even take the bulk of the outside diameter off by taking that same bushing chucked up in a drill, of course spinning fast in the drill, and put the outside of the bushing to the "side" of a bench grinders wheel, starting with the coarser wheel then using the finer one. Keeping the outside diameter to fit the hanger. And then use the Dremel for more precise shaping and putting in a v-cut or such to make it more pliable.

Also it seems to me that it is best to use a flat washer on top of the top bushing, or just flip the stock Tracker bushing cap for more turn and freer turn.

I've never tried it but how about drilling a few holes in the bushings too to make them softer.

Once you got the trucks dialed in to be very turny for his weight, these newly dialed-in trucks might make that 14" wheelbase deck you got there seem pretty squirly.
Last edited by Glenn S on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:33 am

about the stoppers, here is a link to get them cheap (7.99) http://www.secure.sciencecompany.com/th ... uct_ID=490

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:21 am

No doubt. 26 inch fibreflex double cutaway (vintage) Cambrias, Bennetts or lazers.

Easy to turn- easy to pump, easy to flex, easy to make difficult courses- a real confidence builder for youth.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:52 pm

My Son is 8 years old and barely 50lbs, i've got him on a 3 ply response with ACS651's. on the front i've replaced the top bushing with an old tracker blue plus replaced the top washer with a flat washer that doesn't run to the edge of the bushing ( Paul price suggested ditching the top washer completely, but the KP started chewing up the rubber, so a small washer helped), rear truck is just stock , front truck is wedged also. wheels wise, he's got Fibrestrada'a on it, but i'm thinking of changing to red Cambria's...hope this helps

Paul K

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Junior Set Up

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:23 pm

I've got to say that the new Roe Keith Hollien TS "Mini" is a great deck for the younger kids. It's wider width and slightly shorter wheelbase is key for lower weight juniors looking to crank hard turns threw tighter and hybrid courses.

As for trucks, Indy 101's with the afore mentioned "stoppers" and wedged work great. Once the junior has advanced in skill and commitment to the sport, Radikal Trucks are the way to go. They can be set up to turn on a dime. Josh is running clear Radikal bushings on the bottom and stoppers on top for tighter courses. Also, their light weight is ideal for juniors. Josh practically sleeps with this Roe/Radikal set up at night. He loves it.

If anyone gets a line on the stoppers, I could use a few more as my 9 year old draughter is skating with us now. Let me know.

Troy Smart

Soft bushings

Post by Troy Smart » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:48 pm

A good source for soft bushings just might be at your local hardware store.
I forget what they are actually called but they are rubber stoppers with a bolt going through the middle with some washers, a nut and wingnut on the ends. (compression plug??)
The ones I found were perfect for my 8 yr old. No drilling or cutting neccessary at all. The hole in the middle was a little tight but if you run it up and down the threads a couple of times it reams it out.
Most places around here have them because they are commonly used to plug the drain hole on the back of a boat. (lots of boats here).
They do however vary wildly in durometer. They go from super soft to medium depending on the manufacturer.
The harder ones seem to make excellent bushings for us (bigger dudes) as well.
I have been using them on my slalom board for a while now and like them better than stimulators.
My son uses them on Indy 101's as a bottom bushing with a blue doh doh on the top.
Because of the bolt and washers in it they are a little pricey (about 4 bucks) but still might be worth checking out.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

set -ups for tots

Post by Dave Gale » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:37 pm

My daughter uses a Response w/ indy 101's and a no-name needle nose knock off w/ ton's of camber(it's her favorite) My choice on bushings will be the Radikal clears as soon as I get more of them for her boards!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Aaron Morris

Post by Aaron Morris » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:21 am

Tracker still has some NOS tk rubber grommets, so you don't have to go looking for bushings for light weight riders. I use these grommets on my tracker fulltracks and midtracks. They are very soft. Because they are NOS they cost you $8 a truck., but just a penny more than the rubber lab stoppers.