Deck on the cheap...or am I nuts?

Post by Mr Surly » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:11 am

I was thinking about cutting up a "flipper deck"
to make a slalom deck from. It would give a little concave up front, and an
adjustable wheelbase as well. My daughter and I have enough extra decks
to make 2 boards for this test project.What we'll do:
-drill new holes front and back exactly 1" from the original holes,
the existing WB is 17.25" respectively.
-cut angled nose [Carrasco style] 2.5" long.
-cut tapered sides from 8.5" back to 7" in rear.
-cut the kick down 2".
-sand, seal, tape...oh...ride.
-anyone ever try/do this?
-any suggestions?
[other than purchasing decks, which we are doing anyway]

thanks!

note:
The design was influenced by the Carrasco
SK8Kings Axe decks. http://sk8kings.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... ory_Code=C
I dont want to leave that out, as I have my eye on one now.
.:PTBDHB:.

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:19 am

I've done that with a couple of pool decks, 8.75" & 9" wide. Works great. Sure is nice to have a kicktail. I still use my "real" TS deck more often though.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Carl,

Do you have cones? :-)

Glad to see another slalomer in the Carolinas. I'm down in Summerville (near Charleston.) There's a crew of longboarders who are getting into slalom that live over in Statesville. They've got a spot in Troutman that's not going to last much longer, but we're having a longboard/downhill/slalom jam March 26 (three weeks.) Keep an eye on the "Down South" forum for any updates. Marion Kerr is the guy over there and will keep us all informed.

As far as your board ideas, just rememer this: it doesn't take a "special" board to slalom. Any board that feels good under your feet will do the job. I would recommend, though, you consider getting something other than standard "kickflipper" trucks and wheels, if you haven't already. Those rocks the Ollie boys ride on are a disaster waiting to happen: no traction and no resillience in a turn. Consider plunking down some cash for a set of Manx, Abec11s or 3DMs. Same goes for trucks. I guess a 150mm Tracker or Indy or whatever might work if you want to wear yourself out, but trust me when I say getting a slalom-specific truck will make all the difference. And you don't have to splurge on an $85 Split Fire, PP Indy Offset or a $175 Radikal. Look at maybe getting a good set of 109mm (or whatever it is that's close) Independent or the RT/S-X Tracker combo. Also look at getting some angled riser pads to further improve your turning. Those are $3 or $4 a pair from Old School Skate or Longboard.com.

Hope to see you at the end of the month.

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Post by Mr Surly » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:46 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:Carl,

Do you have cones? :-)

Glad to see another slalomer in the Carolinas. I'm down in Summerville (near Charleston.) There's a crew of longboarders who are getting into slalom that live over in Statesville. They've got a spot in Troutman that's not going to last much longer, but we're having a longboard/downhill/slalom jam March 26 (three weeks.) Keep an eye on the "Down South" forum for any updates. Marion Kerr is the guy over there and will keep us all informed.

no cones.
i have seen the post for the 3-26 ride day. me and a friend are considering coming down for this. he and i just finished a couple of longboards and it would be nice to meet some other hill freaks in NC. maybe i can get some pointers on starting some mid-week slalom nights in the spring/summer.
also planning to go to athens, GA for the slalom events with my daughter.

-i am getting risers, wheels[MANX] and a set of RTX/S trucks for the new deck.

oh, should i contact wes about "downhillbillies" shirts?

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:58 pm

Hey Carl...your not nuts, but I'm curious.
If your buying Manx's and Trackers your investing about 75 bucks already. Obviously, youre buying good gear so you want to take a decent crack at the slalom bit. So why not just go a bit extra and buy a slalom deck since youre 2/3 of the way there? Starter decks are inexpensive, check out the Bahne Black Hill (there's one on the FOR SALE FORUM) or the Pocket Pistol wood decks. (Pistol also sells a complete with Trackers and Manx that's inexpensive and ready to roll)
The deck itself doesnt matter much, some guys make their own, some fast riders ride simple wood decks...(Wes E, Harms and Vlad dont ride anything fancy and they're all very fast)......but there's a bit of a different feel to a slalom deck than a shaped street deck. It's not just the wheelbase, it's the camber, width, etc....
I'd say that if you're putting 2nd hand gear or parts you currently have underneath it, then no biggie,......
but if youre investing in new trucks/wheels, just get a nice starter deck and finish it off.....
and throw out those street bearings for something that spins....either bones reds or preferably Pleasure Tool 7's would work and give some bang for the buck

just my humble opinion of course

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:42 pm

Carl,

The "Downhill Billies" website and t-shirts are being put together by Marion Kerr.

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Post by Mr Surly » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:20 pm

Christopher Bara wrote:Hey Carl...your not nuts, but I'm curious.
If your buying Manx's and Trackers your investing about 75 bucks already. Obviously, youre buying good gear so you want to take a decent crack at the slalom bit. So why not just go a bit extra and buy a slalom deck since youre 2/3 of the way there? Starter decks are inexpensive, check out the Bahne Black Hill (there's one on the FOR SALE FORUM) or the Pocket Pistol wood decks. (Pistol also sells a complete with Trackers and Manx that's inexpensive and ready to roll)
The deck itself doesnt matter much, some guys make their own, some fast riders ride simple wood decks...(Wes E, Harms and Vlad dont ride anything fancy and they're all very fast)......but there's a bit of a different feel to a slalom deck than a shaped street deck. It's not just the wheelbase, it's the camber, width, etc....
I'd say that if you're putting 2nd hand gear or parts you currently have underneath it, then no biggie,......
but if youre investing in new trucks/wheels, just get a nice starter deck and finish it off.....
and throw out those street bearings for something that spins....either bones reds or preferably Pleasure Tool 7's would work and give some bang for the buck

just my humble opinion of course
couldnt agree with you more. i will probably buy either an Carrasco Axe or a Pocket Pistol deck. thanks for the input. i can never seem to put the saw down. i've made so many longboard decks over the years, the DIY bug always bites me first.