What style deck?

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

What style deck?

Post by Adam Daniels » Fri May 27, 2005 5:35 pm

i am a relatively light rider (under 100lbs) and would like a sort of multi purpose board. i like to do TS and some GS on the side.

what would concave do to the style of riding?
No vestido para mi

Paul Howard

Recommedations for Adam

Post by Paul Howard » Sun May 29, 2005 12:59 am

Hey, How much do you want to spend?

On the Cheaper side: Bahne Blackhill, Subsonic Skateboards

On the Cheaper side of spending more: PPS Wood core of epoxy wood with concave, Subsonic Skateboards with fibreglass added

A Little More: Roe Wood cores

Definately more $ but excellent: Roe, PPS, IckStick

Concave- Personally I like a little but not much, it's pretty much personal preferance.

Shape- I'll have to put a plug in for my sponsor Subsonic Skateboards so check out the Josh Burt Coffin or the "Pauliwog" models. I designed the "Pauliwog" as a "one gun" deck for every size slalom course(same with Josh's Coffin except Josh or Scott designed the coffin) but for me I prefer it for T/S and hybrid but it will work well at all wb's since it's concave, flat, and stiff it's fairly consistent feeling. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, for instance, I must admit in G/S my PPS Chickenwing is my preference and my Roe 32" Stretched Bullet made soft for my weight (Med Flex) at a 23" wb is great on bad pavement. But if I had to choose one deck for everything I'd use my Subsonic. All of these shapes are for Surf-stance riders. If you ride with your feet in the middle, you might try one of the "cutaway" shapes.

If you want an "everything" board I recommend sticking with the lower cambers (3/8" or less) and multiple wheel bases ranging from 18" at the shortest for T/S (I usually ride 19" wb) and somewhere between 20-22" for G/S for someone your size, maybe 23". If you use higher cambers(more than 3/8"), then the flex and everything changes characteristics more dramatically with wheel base changes. Each company has 2 or more stiffnesses in each model so go by what their wt recommendations are to start out. Cheaper is not neccesarily lower in performance, some riders (like me) like flat stiff concave wood decks for T/S. Best thing is go to any and all slalom events you can and try out other skaters boards if you can before any major investments.

www.subsonicskateboards.com look under the "future" icon as well as the main page and "skateboard cafeteria"
www.bahneskateboards.com
www.roeslalom.com
www.pocketpistolskates.com
www.ickstick.com

Well this is probably more info than what you wanted but there's something to start with, good luck-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun May 29, 2005 1:33 am

Paul, thanks for the info. seeing as the race is in 2 weeks, i have to decided to take my building skills up a little. i am building a GS board with an S camber in it........its measures about 31.75" long but has more usuable truck area than my previous Roe Unlimited replica that i built. i'll bring both to the race and have a few conversations with people to see what they think.

-Adam
No vestido para mi