Pads

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Clay Towery

Pads

Post by Clay Towery » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:36 pm

So currently I am wearing my vert pads while running cones- Pro-design. What are better pads for slalom? The PDs are somewhat bulky, but are definately cushy. At 42, I want protection for sure.

Any suggestions for race pads?

Clay
Making Mothers unhappy since 1963

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:09 am

Dude I also wear the Bulky PD vert pads. Gumby suggested I wear a bulky knee pad after I ate it at Sullivan City doing 35mph. The PD helped. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:25 am

Clay,

Just an observation about the Pro-design plastic caps... they seem to be made of a
plastic that's harder than other brands. My Pro-tecs seem to grip the pavement when I take
to my knees in a botched slalom run, which pitches me onto my hands. It's really bad
on seal coated blacktop...

You may want to consider this B-4 purchasing a less bulky set...Those PDs maybe worth
living with....

Later, Tod

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:43 pm

I wear Rector Fatboys, which is rather ironic since
a) I'm definitely not fat (ask anyone)
b) The pads themselves run VERY small (I wear a large, and they barely fit around my knees)

They're very good pads, and I've almost never had them slip down. But unless you're really skinny like me, you may be out of luck size-wise. Plus I hear Rector is selling almost all their product to the military nowadays and doesn't have time to make new skate pads.

Eddy and Tod are right. Protection is foremost. However--and this is only my personal opinion--I think slalom protection may be somewhat different from ramp/pool/park protection. Vert bails tend to require more "cushion," because you're often coming down from a greater height, and you're coming straighter down. Slalom bails are generally only from a foot or two above ground, and usually involve more forward/sideways momentum, so you may not need as much cushion in front of the kneecap. Sure, you still want some cushioning, but you probably don't need as much as what's in your big PD's.

So in my opinion, you may be able to get away with a less bulky pad, as long as they don't slip down when you bail. Since you live in Texas and already wear Pro-Designed, maybe you can get Wild Bill to make you a somewhat thinner pair of PD's.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:42 am

Slalomers who don't wear pads get scars in areas you never thought would get road rash from skating.

I use rector Fat Boys. I don't think there is a really a good pad designed with slalom in mind.

Don't use wide hulking pads like Dr. Bone Savers- look for a nice midweight pad with good coverage- and definitely not the velcro on thin straped ones. Your knee should be completely wrapped.

If you are new- consider some hip protection.

If you are old- consider some chest protection

Wear a helmet or buy your tombstone in advance.
Slide gloves are a good idea-
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

187's

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:41 pm

After a few good chews this past year, I needed new knee pads for the season. I found (at Woody's Halfpipe Skateshop, thanks John) a brand called 187. The thing I really like about these is that the pad under the cap contains a gel insert. Nice & soft & gushy when you take a hit on em. Now I have yet to take a major speed fall with these, so the jury is still out. But so far they are great.

Oh and some other pluses, they have a double strap system, an interior set and an exterior set, so you don't have to take your shoe off to get em on nor do you have to walk around with them at your ankles when you take a break. Strap em on, tear em off. AND the pad insert pulls out so you can toss it in the washer to get rid of the stinky pad syndrome. The plastic caps are replaceable too. 66 showed me that, he's got them too.
La Costa Boy For Life

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

Pads

Post by Robert Sydia » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Being another older guy - I have been using Boneless knees and elbows for the past 3 seasons. Well built, durable, good caps and I think they sell for $37.00 per set.

The elbows are really overstuffed, but the knees are great.

This season I am looking at getting the Pro-Tec IPS Hip pads to wear under my shorts.

Just my 2 cents

Rob

Troy Smart

Post by Troy Smart » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:26 pm

I bought a set of Pro Designed knee pads to protect my shitty knees a while ago.

I used them once for slalom and hit just about every toeside cone on the course with them.
They are like wearing couch cushions.

Great protection but useless for slalom (at least for me).

Anyone want to buy them? Used exactly once.

Malcolm Stooke

Post by Malcolm Stooke » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:19 am

i use bullet knee pads, i am liking them so far, but i have yet to actually fall on them. they feel a bit bulky but it doesnt affect me skating, well except for giving me more confidence, it only affects the walk back up the hill.

does anyone have opinions about these pads? should i look into something else?

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:51 am

Pro Design made in TEXAS. Eddy TEXAS OUTLAWS. Wild Bill still has not made the crotch pad as of yet.