A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Jon-Pat Myers
Faster!
Faster!

Narrow trux?

Post by Jon-Pat Myers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:12 pm

Hello all!
I'm new to the forum but not really to slalom. I'm getting back into it though and have a kind of a dumb question.....
Why narrow trux?
Is the turning radius smaller? Are narrower trux more responsive? Stability?
Also which trux would be recommended for tight and/or hybrid ?
A bunch I know ,but I would be most appreciative of any answers, suggestions or comments.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Jon-Pat, you're question isn't dumb. I'm not new to slalom either but recently got back in. I'm sure you will get some good replies to this from those whom have been grinding continuously now for years but....

On a deck with the same wheelbase and assuming same truck manufacturer & model narrow axle trucks in general will turn tighter than wider axle trucks. You can leverage a tighter turning radius with a narrower truck.

I think the "responsive" term is relative and subjective. I've had wide trucks that were more "responsive" than narrower trucks in terms of feedback to the rider. In my experience wider trucks are more stable than narrower trucks but there is more going on to this dynamic than just axle width. let's just say that wobbles tend to set in more, all things equal, at speed with narrower trucks than wider trucks - you take it from there, keep ur face off the tarmac.

There is awesome info on this site from many riders much better than I on the best truck for TS, Hybrid, and GS, etc. I am an old school rider (still kicks ass :)) and I love my wedged Tracker RTX/RTS mid tracks for TS and some Hybrid. They kick and I think they are real competitive under the right rider and bushed just right on 18.5 - 20" - I have had no trouble with stability on these loose up to 35+mph in a straight or slalom line. I have also seen some great Radikals and Splitfires but I have not been able to figure those things out yet... Check out the offsets too, very cool innovations on this.
SL
LAVIN

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:52 am

JP,

I have just about every truck there is. Sets that go $400-$500.

Without hesitation I suggest Rtx/s 106mm with +15-20% wedge in the front, -10% in the rear. Getting the hangers faced or the axle swapped with a 8mm one helps, but stock with good bushings work pretty good for the $35-40 they cost.

Give me a shout if I can help you with importation.

Joe
iaco@comcast.net