Help with new TS rig. Conekiller/Spiltfire

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Chris Gregorowicz

Help with new TS rig. Conekiller/Spiltfire

Post by Chris Gregorowicz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:30 pm

Well I'm not sure if this is in the right section but I figured it would get about as much visbility here as elsewhere.

The Problem:

My TS rig feels like a bronco waiting for an opportunity to buck me off

The Setup:

Board - Skaterbuilt Conkiller TS
Front - Tracker RTX w/ shaved rad's red/clear. Wedged 15 degrees
Rear - Gen II Splitfire (Randal DH Baseplate) shaved Rad's black/green. dewedged 5 degrees.

The Issue:

I would really love to get this board feeling more like my Hybrid Setup which runs the 50 degree split in the rear and similar bushing combos. I have no confidence issues on my Hybrid rig and can drive of the back end without fear.

I'm contemplating taking out the wedge on the back end of my TS rig and running the split flat although my fear is it will become over responsive.

If it helps I weigh in at approx 170lbs.

I hoping someone can throw over some useful advice as I've been toying with this setup for close to 3 months and have yet to get it dialed in.

So I guess the bottom line question is how are you people running your Randal Plate Splits on TS setups???

Much Thanks,

~Chris

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:12 pm

Chris,

My immediate suggestion is take the wedging out of the Splitfire and run it flat. I had a session with Steve Evans in January and he explained to me in great detail how wedging an offset truck is counter productive.

Alter the riser/wedge set up and take a run and see if you feel the difference.

Also, do you have a Tracker RT/S? Try running it with the wedging. I know, you spent $100 on the Split and want to use it, but it's performance that matters. Evans and Maysey both were skeptical of the need for an offset in TS, even though Maysey was running an Offset Tracker that day.

As for me, right now I'm running TS on a medium flex PP Stealth with a front Radikal wedged as steep as I can get it and a 90MM Chindy offset w/o wedging in the rear. So far it's doing me good. It won the "B" bracket in Canada and got into the round of 8 in the "B" bracket at La Costa. That's infinetely better than I was doing last year.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Just to second Wesley's comments, I've had good luck with "ADDING" steering to my
35* 90mm Splitefire which amounts to 9-10* given it's on an S-camber... (20" drilling)

I also bush it with two black Tracker hourglass bushings. The hourglass shape still lets the truck articulate some even if you've got them cranked down...(For the sake of reference I'm 190lbs.)

Later, Tod

Chris Gregorowicz

Post by Chris Gregorowicz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:58 am

Thanks Gentlemen,

Although I'm curious about the weird science behind how wedging can be counter productive on a traction truck I will take your advice and try running this split flat.

Wes - If we meet in the gate at the Farm again and you win this time, then I'll have uncovered your devilish plan ;) j/k

As much as I'm hoping this will do the trick I have a feeling "learning" to ride this cone killer may be a big part of the problem long term. Jumping from a 20" WB down to 18" is a mind bending experience in it's own right.

Cheers,

~Chris

Chris Gregorowicz

Post by Chris Gregorowicz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:04 am

OK so I'm running the split flat and things seem to be improving.

Here's my next techy question. I'm usually spot on the money with what bushings I'll need to run but this split has me stumped.

Currently (And this is the best it's felt yet) it's double blue Stim. Weird combo I know but somehow I think I'm on to something.

Can anyone make any reccomnedations on what they would run assuming the weighed in at 170 lbs???

I have a full selection of lathed Radikals and Khiros.

Much Thanks,

~CHris