Help please!

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Mac Newman

Help please!

Post by Mac Newman » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:41 am

I am so new to slalom skateboarding, I don't even have a slalom board yet.

I live in south Louisiana, and it is flllaaattttttt. There are now hills within 70 miles of my house.

I have a few questions
- is there anybody out there from the BR area?
- are the slalom races that are held on flat ground?
- if so, re there any in south La
- Beginners setups?( I am a big guy)
- My driveway is about 100 feet long, is that enough room to get some good runs?

I read some old posts on cone placement, so I won't bother yall with that

Thanks guys, I know these are probably stupid questions, but I really would like to give these from of skating a try.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:45 am

There is a crew in Jackson, MS.

Email Frank Henn, more info here
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... hp?t=38560

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Esay set-up

Post by Marty Schaub » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:49 am

From one big guy to another, go with the Brown Bomber. Richy Carrasco runs sk8kings.com and will custom you an AXE board to suit your hieght, weight and conditions.

TRUST me. You can't go wrong with getting a complete from Richy & Maria.

The nearest contest to you would probably be the LUNA slalom jam in Mississippi. It's worth the drive to check the scene and the stoke.

Marty
Axe Army
Georgia Division
La Costa Boy For Life

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:58 am

Mac,

Learning to pump on flat ground will get you further ahead in the long run if you plan on racing... You'll get in shape faster and you'll have a good strong pump for when you do hit the hills...
Also, personalizing a board to take advantage of your weight and stature will really speed up the learning curve...

It really is a good time,

Tod

Mac Newman

Post by Mac Newman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Thanks guys for the info.

Eric Brammer

Flatness...

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:32 am

One thing to look for is Parking Garages.. Security is always an issue in those, but if you can find a good one, it might be worth hitting for a stealth session or two (bring donuts to bribe Security guards?). It may not be a 'hill' with all the variables in pitch, but at least Gravity will be tugging ya along.

As for training on Flats, definately Work It!
Cyber Slalom is a great means to guage your progress, as it sets a standard, and there are quite a few racers who've posted up times over on ncdsa.com.
Working on flats will give a super strong pump, and you'll likely have your footing position worked out (don't forget to use toeblocks!). Just beware that a good 'flatland' pumping board may turn out to be a bit squirrelly once you run it on a decent downgrade. Nothing that can't be fixed by adjusting/swapping out the truck bushings though. In course setting, keep things linear to get a good pump rythym going, put the offsets further down the course where you'll have momentum to play with. If you've got a location that's hassle-free, consider using paint dots to mark favorite courses. This makes for quick set-ups which means more practice time per session.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"