Another newbie

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

ben hall

Another newbie

Post by ben hall » Wed May 30, 2007 10:29 pm

howdi guys im new to the slalom thing and im looking for a new board. at the moment i have a bahne blackhill, tracker rts rear,seismic front, with lush revolver wheels,

basically im looking to upgrade, any suggestions, so far ive spent a lot of time looking at the roe cutaway, insect boards and fibreflex.

im lookinf or an all round board ts to sgs, something that will encompass everything.

Ben

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed May 30, 2007 10:51 pm

Ben,

Before you do anything, I would suggest JUST buying some new wheels. The 3DM Hot Spot or Avalons and the Manx wheels are excellent choices. Keep it simple with something moderate in an 80a or 82a duromoter. Not too hard, not too soft.

Also, consider getting some quality bearings. You didn't mention what you're riding, but Oust and Pleasure Tool both have really good affordable racing bearings.

Get the wheels first and exchange out those Lush things. Once you've done that coupled with the Black hilll (I have one) with the Tracker RT-X/S (I have several) you'll have a better idea of what to do next.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Get the wheels and spend some time on a real slalom racing set up. Then start thinking about the big bucks for trucks and decks.

P.S. Where are you?

ben hall

Post by ben hall » Wed May 30, 2007 11:46 pm

why are people not fans of the revolvers, ive found them to be great so far, really grippy, responsive and prdictable ( i would quite like a softer back wheels though, ive got some turner cambrias coming in the post, soft rear and harder front (white and grey i think) .

As regards to the pockets pistol decks they look like cool decks, however the grphics are a real put off for me, i dont really like the punk inspred sort of thing.
Im keeping the blackhill as my daily get around, so i think im going ot get a new deck and keep the seismic on the front of the bahne. i like the way it rides.

What do people think of subsonics slalom efforts. i dont doubt the craftsmanship as i have a swift 42 which i love. but i was wondering about their other decks.

bearing wise i am unfortunatly riding lush night riders which are a little slow but with uk weather and uk prices decent bearings are a scary outlay.

please give me more suggestions

Ben

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Subsonic slalom boards work

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu May 31, 2007 2:19 am

Paul Howard and Josh Burt have good success using the Subsonic boards -- and Scott Moore is such a big supporter of the local slalom scene .... You should try the Pauliwog model of slalom board.

ben hall

Post by ben hall » Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 am

i did look at the pauliwog but it jst looked a little flat, i kinda like to be held in.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

AXE Army

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu May 31, 2007 2:48 pm

Go to Sk8kings.com and check out the AXE line of slalom gear. Riders from newbies to pro crank on them to great success. I suggest the AXE II as an entry level deck for newbie slalom. It will not dissappoint as your ability progresses.

Cheers!
La Costa Boy For Life

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Gear in the UK...

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu May 31, 2007 3:23 pm

ben hall wrote:why are people not fans of the revolvers, ive found them to be great so far, really grippy, responsive and prdictable

bearing wise i am unfortunatly riding lush night riders which are a little slow but with uk weather and uk prices decent bearings are a scary outlay.

please give me more suggestions

Ben
Hi Ben, there is nothing wrong with the Revolvers, they are good wheels and possibly not known outside of the UK. I assume you too are in Blighty in which case I would suggest having a chat with Michael Stride of www.octanesport.com he may even have some top end decks/wheels/trucks that are suitable and at reduced prices.
Bear in mind some of the prices here are not that far off US prices, plus you won't have to wait too long for it to arrive and you might be able to go to a shop Michael supplies and see (and just as importantly-touch) the stuff yourself.
I believe Skaterbuilt Mike Maysey is only £45...
Get in touch with UK riders through http://www.ukslalomskateboarding.com/ and the Uk forum on another site at http://www.ncdsa.com/47/Skateboarding-i ... ingdom.htm
where there are always people looking to sell surplus kit.
You will love the Cambrias, I still use them for tricky courses and they make a great 1st slalom wheel. As your skills and confidence grow you may then start looking for bigger, faster wheels but they will certainly do while you are changing the rest of the set-up.
Good luck, hopefuly meet you at a UK event this summer!
Martin.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Ben, before you do 'anything' (To coin a phrase....)

Dont chuck the Lush wheels.

Wes hasnt ridden them. He doesnt know what they are like. Much as I doubt he's ridden Coretechs either. (Another brand thats good byut not made in the U.S.)

I dont sell the Lush wheels, but saying that I wouldnt diss them, or ditch them.

Personnally I wouldnt take advice from a man that wont go down a start ramp, rides paralel in the year 2007 (unless your names Bruce Brewington!) and pontifacates on products hes never used.

Just trust Martin Drayton for unbiased advice. I do.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:18 pm

sorry wes.

i dont believe you!

Whenyou even competeat a Worlds,let alone WIN an event then kindly refrain fromcalling me ignorant.

Pompous, I can handle that.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Notice how Wes neglects to mention Abec11 Zig Zags, or ANY Abec11 products.

Care to explain why your personal beefs shouldaffect the adviceyou give to keen newbies Wes?

If you cant give unbiased advice,dont give ANY at all.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Ben,i think wes'reccomendation on the wheels is good.Although i make and sell midrange decks,i think marty's advice on the sk8kings is spot on,richy and maria do an excellent job.i think martins suggestion of going to octane is good,nothing beats seeing it in person or standing on it.maybe go to one of the Hp sessions and check different setups.i am sure those guys will let you ride one of theirs.
last,go to www.chixillskateboards.com and look at the tod oles or midnight special.i think the oles would fit your desire to have something for tight to G/S,plus,this deck locks your foot in.shipped,would run you in the neighborhood of 45 pounds.graphics are custom,so whatever you want or even nothing,you could get.the Black formica looks sick all on its own.
trucks,run two trackers(rts/rtx wedged) with your revolvers and and it would be inexpensive and super responsive.

Btw the way,the personal insults to Wes were uncalled for.i have seen him take many ramps,ride a modified parralell stance and podium in some races.its fu<k!ng skateboarding for chrissakes
cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:45 pm

Sorry Chris,but how can Wes's advice on wheels be good?

He doesnt mention Abec11!!! Are you seriously saying that Ben shouldnt look at those? Which is essentially what Wes is doing.

I also doubt Wes has actually used the Lush wheels, and especially in a way that Ben might possibly.

Has he used the Coretechs????

Wes's advice is clouded by his own petty squabbles with 'industry' figures. This should NOT lead to an enthuiast newbie having to be told to take advice from someone like Wes with a pinch of salt. If he's going to omit an entrie range of great wheels(Abec 11) then he needs to have the decency to say why he feels that possibly the most podiumed wheel of 2006/7 so far is not in his own knowledge base.

Yes, it is only slalom,but if you want to encourage people to continue in the sport handing out GOODadvice is what is needed, and advice from someone who I dont think has travelled to ANY international races,and possibly hardly crossed his state border is not where Ben should be getting advice from.

Cole Dano

Post by Cole Dano » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Wow this is sad.

I wish instead of bitching one of you took the time to answer my question, one thread below. Maybe it was an uncool question, but this is the 'newbies' section after all, not the 'i got a big chip on my shoulder one'!

I guess this is why this forum is dead.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Bravo Cole!

Spot on with your assessment of the ego/testosterone/mine's bigger than yours childhood sniping. The guy was looking for advice, give him what you think from your racing perspective and don't worry what someone else says.

Better yet just go skate......
La Costa Boy For Life

Luke Melo
Luke
Luke

Post by Luke Melo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:14 pm

ZigZags, Manx, and Hotspots are all great wheels that i have tried. i think any of them would be a fine choice
mmmmmmmm........... cookies :)