That's right! another new and confused skater seeking advice

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Loren Brindze

That's right! another new and confused skater seeking advice

Post by Loren Brindze » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:40 am

Hey, I just started skating and am considering getting into slalom. I went out and bought a Z flex jimmy Plummer reissue with tracker rt-s/x trucks (flat risers) and tunnel rocker 82a 63mm wheel - this is what a local skateshop set up for me.

my question now is two fold.
first, is this an alright set up to get started on? if not i am willing to spend a little to redeem this random impulse purchase of mine.

second, I am currently moving out to school in chicago (well... evanston) and was curious what the skate scene is there and if there are any jams/races coming up, anything, just so i can meet more experienced riders and get a feel for different set ups.

thanks much,
Loren
I have nothing for you.

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

board/setup

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:17 am

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:33 am

hey loren:
this setup you have is very "vintage" to put it mildly.
it will be ok for rolling around,cruisin a bit and stuff
but for training slalom or getting into it,that's tough
the trackers are the best thing on the board.
buy some zig zags(wheels) when you have the chance and go for a wooden kicktail deck by pavel,sk8kings,fullbag,skaterbuilt,pps for example.
these companies know what they are doing,some shop-owners don't.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:34 am

Loren,

There's a slalom scene in the N. Illinois area...
Hit the Chixill link in my sig... Chris Favero is the man to talk to...

If you're looking to try some modern racing equipment
we have a ton of it and we like to share,
cuz we're true midwesterners...... :-)

Don't be afraid to barge any of the Chixill teams E-mail addys or PMs

Later, Tod

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:25 am

Loren,

You can slalom skateboard on any skateboard. Really. It's a matter of turning one way then the other and going around obstacles. Any skateboard with trucks that turn and wheels that spin will slalom. So go for it.

But remember: slalom is COMPETITIVE RACING. So, being able to slalom and being competitive can be two different things. Don't think you need $200 trucks, ceramic berings and a $250 custom deck to slalom. You don't.

What you will learn, though, is eventually your skating on just "any" board will kind of "max out." You'll know you can go faster but you're at the total end of the line with what you are riding. That's when it's time to start looking at boards specifically made for slalom. And as you will learn there are different boards, wheelbases, truck sets up and wheel sizes and duros for different kinds of racing. Yes, you can ride an 18" wheelbase with stock Trackers on a Giant Slalom, but you'll have to decide for yourself how competitive you will be. Conversely, you might try to wrestle a 23" wheelbase Sector 9 through a tight slalom. Odds have it you'll hit a lot of cones, but hey, it's still possible.

Like I said, though, don't hesitate to get out in the street, slalom and run some courses even if they are imaginary markers on a well-traveled road. Slalom now with what you got. As your skills, speed, technique, style and attitude develop, so will your preferences for equipment.

And like the gimpy Lemon Boy said, there is a great crew in Chicago. Chris Favero lives up on the North Side towards Evanston. I think but I'm not certain Alan Sidlo lives up that way also. Chris Novatny was was just south of midtown but I think he moved. Not sure where he is now. Tod "Lemon Boy" Oles lives a couple of hours west and there are some guys running cones now in Milwaukee. I was up there last year for a race and ChiIll is a great place to skate.

Loren Brindze

Post by Loren Brindze » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:10 am

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond, and for all the great advice.
I will defiantly hit up the Chixill guys with an email in the near future when i have time.
thanks again,
Loren
I have nothing for you.