Front truck on a budget

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Joseph Behm

Front truck on a budget

Post by Joseph Behm » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Ok I have just about everything to run slalom ... but not effectively
I want to be able to run TS with this board
I plan on running a randal 125 for my rear truck, because I have them and I will upgrade that later
I am purchasing this board, http://www.sk8kings.com/Merchant2/merch ... ry_Code=SL
unless you can recomend that has a 17" WB
Do I want the front truck narrower than the back or the other way around?
So what should I run for my front truck? bennett, tracker rtx, midtrack? Any others I might have missed
keep it cheap.

be specific with the truck, I don't want to buy the wrong hangar width, degree of baseplate or anything like that.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Get a Bennett for the front

4.3 is good for most applications

If you can swing it, get a Tracker RTS for the back, that Randall is wider than you need - especially for TS

Ask around, someone might have used stuff for ya'

I'll check what I have
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:09 am

Joe,

I'd have to go along with Ron and suggest the RTS... If you're setting your deck up correctly for slalom i.e. w/ the rear truk steering less than the front... the rear truk actually
tracks INSIDE the line the front is tracking on in a turn... so a wider rear truk will have more chance to do the ole "semi trailer" trick of taking a cone out if you cut a gate real tight... but you want that rear truck to track that way... (it's called TRACTION) :-)

Also using a 4.3 Bennett for TS (real 5ft & FAST TS) on a 17" WB should be pretty close to working... if you run into troubles I'd drill some holes on the front of your deck to make a 16" WB and work your way into the longer WB as your skill allows...

Keep us posted on how it goes!!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:31 pm

I have an RTS with a Dart baseplate layin' around

I can put whatever bushings you need in it

$17.00 sound good?
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Front truck: Get a Bennett 4.3 and wedge it about 7 degrees (skinny end toward the front of the deck). Use soft bushings (for example, white Khiro barrels on top and bottom or white top/orange bottom) and run it considerably looser than your rear truck. That sucker WILL turn and should work for both hybrid and TS.

Back truck (if needed): Your Randal 125 will work for a while but is indeed a bit wider than you'll ideally want. Grab Ron's RTS if you've got the cash, or use a Seismic 106mm with a 30-degree baseplate and whatever color springs fit your weight (which I'm guessing is about 160 to 170?) As for which truck should be wider, you'll get differing opinions; mine is that it doesn't matter THAT much which one is wider, as long as the difference between the two is not much greater than 15 to 20mm.

(BTW, Joseph raced at this year's Chicago Cone Crusher. For a first-timer, he showed some real skill and potential. Good to see you on here, Joseph!)

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

virage

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:20 am

look at them i think it´s a good price for a good truck

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:52 am

I still ride a front truck Independent 101, resized to 90mm (available for the Tracker RTX too 106 -> 90).
The classic Indy 101 is really good for the price !