Need some advice

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Negi Konno

Need some advice

Post by Negi Konno » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:08 am

Well... I have absolutely no money, but I want to get into slalom and stuff but wont be able to buy a deck for a while. I have a sector 9 maccas board which is about 32" long. I figured I would try to use that as the deck seeing as though its the smallest board I own. I also have a pair of tracker darts (169 mm i think... not sure.), a pair of gullwing sidewinder trucks, and a pair of gullwing chargers. Im not really sure what the best truck setup i could use would be. I have a set of lime/lemon zigzags I'm going to use for the wheels but I was wondering what trucks I should use, what bushings with what truck, and also about the wedging or de-wedging I should use. I eventually want to get a sk8kings axe III deck but until then could anyone help me make the best setup I can with what I have?

Also in the past I have had some problems with pumping, my front foot tends to slide forward on the board and I have to reposition every so many pumps so I don't step off the board. One of my friends Karl had some metal thing he made that stopped his foot and I was wondering if anyone knows about it or has one.

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:39 am

Redrill the board to a 19" or 20" wheelbase (I assume it's longer than that from the pics I have seen). Sell one of your 3 sets of trucks to get a Bennett 4.3 for the front and a Trackers RTS in 106mm for the back. Soft double barrels up front, way harder double barrels in the back (RTX), even better if you have hard Venom Eliminators in the back. One Khiro hard riser plus a flat 1/4" under the front Bennett and two 80a Khiro wedges under the rear RTS. Your wheels are perfect.

For the footstop: replace one of your front truck bolts (experiment to find the one that fits your stance best) with a longer one going through some old bushings with a flat washer on top.

Welcome to the slalom world!!!

Negi Konno

Post by Negi Konno » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:05 am

Right now I have no way of selling anything and I dont have any money to buy anything. I wont be able to get a job till i get back to Hawaii and even then I need to save as best I can for college. So right now I'm stuck with what I have and I'm trying to figure out the best I can do based on that. I can get different trucks in the summer and stuff but for now whats the best I can do as far as a setup goes?

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Negi Konno wrote:Right now I have no way of selling anything and I dont have any money to buy anything. I wont be able to get a job till i get back to Hawaii and even then I need to save as best I can for college. So right now I'm stuck with what I have and I'm trying to figure out the best I can do based on that. I can get different trucks in the summer and stuff but for now whats the best I can do as far as a setup goes?
Negi - sell (or TRADE) stuff right here:
http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... m.php?f=94

Listen to Miguel M. - some of the best setup advice you will ever get! :-)

Get some money - you will need it. If you plan to race, there are entry fees. Be creative - you'll figure it out.

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:41 pm

Negi,

Put your board together.
Go outside and skate
Turn left,
Turn right
Turn left turn right very fast.

Just do it.

As far as your problem with money don't worry about it. Slalom first, worry about gadgets later. Just go out and skate some slalom. Don't worry if you are competitive or will qualify at your first race. DON'T NOT SKATE BECAUSE YOU DON'T THINK YOU'VE GOT THE GADGETS. Gadgets take care of themselves.

As far as a toe stop, that's easy. Can you afford 20¢ to go to the hardware store and buy a long bolt? Just stack up some old truck bushing, 30 cheap washers or use a piece of a broomstick with a hole drilled down the middle. Stick it on the long bolt and put both on the board. Instant toe stop.

Seriously, you got a 32" board, some Darts and some Zig Zags. Ideally you'd like to have some trucks less than 120mm wide (maximum) but what the hell? You got some darts and they turn. Go slalom.