Making my own offsets

Slalom Skateboard Truck Machine Shop

Moderator: Eric Wallgren

Frank Henn

Making my own offsets

Post by Frank Henn » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:31 pm

I've been looking for some specs or anything so I can make my own offset trucks. Anyone have something to go by?

Eric Wallgren
Geezer-X
Geezer-X

Post by Eric Wallgren » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:50 pm

Offsets.

What a huge pain in the ass.

I applaud you, though, so here goes. What you're trying to do, is to relocate the centerline of the axle as close as possible to the intersection of the axis of rotation of the hanger about the kingpin, and the centerline of the kingpin.

Starting with a Tracker or Indy hanger, face the ends square, leaving the OEM axle untouched, taking the hanger down to about 75mm.

Make your offset links from steel. I like 1020 bar .250x.750.
Drill @ 19/64 and ream to a final diameter of .312 for the hanger ends, .315 (8mm) on the other ends.

Make your stub axles from 8mm 4140 CrMo, or cut 8mmx1.25 bolts to length. You'll need to make shouldered spacers to get your wheels away from the links. I use 1/2" mild steel tubing faced to length @ 9.5mm.

Make a fixture which will hold the link and stub axle in alignment.

Make a fixture which will hold 2 links and a hanger in alignment.

Countersink the .312" dia holes in the links @45*, .10" deep. Cut the axles in the hanger off @ .200

using your fixture, Tig (preferably) or Mig weld the links to the stubs. I recommend assembling the complete truck including wedged risers to assure that you're getting the links on @ the correct angle.

Dress the welds with a die grinder/scotchlock disc

using your other fixture, silver braze the axles and spacers to the links.

Clean up the joints with a wire wheel.

Use a lathe or drill press to hold one axle while rotating the hanger about that axis. Tweak as necessary.

OR-

Just buy one from Chicken @ Pocket Pistols.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:24 pm

I agree Eric, Chicken makes the nicest offsets out there. A bargain at what he charges.
Offsets, what a pain in the ass.

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:44 pm

Ah great thank you. One persons pain in the ass is my cheap ass pleasure. I figure if i already have the trucks and the tools why not right.

thanks again