Gumballs vs. Avilas

Slalom skateboard wheels

Moderator: Marion Karr

Chris Barker

Gumballs vs. Avilas

Post by Chris Barker » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:33 am

I posted on the other site also. I'm not trying to stir up any vendor BS, just looking for some objective opinions on Gumballs vs. Avilas. I am having a hard time forming a solid opinion between the two.

There are a lot of variables like surface condition, pitch, and course. And then the wheel characteristics themselves, speed, grip, turning.

I'm surprised there hasn't already been more discussion since Worlds. Perhaps because both wheels are excellent and nobody has a real preference. I always trim my Avilas so I know there would be a difference between stock Avilas and Gumballs, but some of my Avilas are trimmed to less than 60mm. At Worlds, I rode Gumballs in front and trimmed Avs in rear at SlalomCross. On Saturday hybrid, I chose Avalons over any big wheels and won the Open.

Anyway, just curious about others opinions. Keep the vendor preference BS out of the discussion. I am happy that we have two vendors making excellent slalom wheels.

Now post away...

cb

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:23 pm

Chris,
Email Attila or ask him for his opinion. He was telling me at the last WLAC that he prefers ABEC 11 Gumballs for the GS. Rene was also using them at the last WLAC GS and he also thought the the ABEC 11 Gumballs were better.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:36 pm

* I think * the Gumballs are a little more nimble and manuverable - quicker side to side. But Avilas seem to carry a little more momentum - even when cut down. Avilas make my board feel like a supertanker and allow stronger pumping at speed without too much turn. I think Gumballs have more grip.
I haven't ridden either wheel since the SlalomCross, but that's what I was thinking.

Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Hey Noah, Have you ridden much *without* big wheels since Worlds? I've ridden 3x since Worlds and haven't even been able to practice for my LA trip.

I agree with your observations about Gumballs feeling quicker side to side. I've cut Avilas down to 55mm before, but at that width you lose some traction because most of the lip is gone from the inside.

When riding Gumballs in the rear, I had traction problems with 84a and even 81a when pumping hard. I had similar problems when running flashbacks in rear. The 78a Gumball seems to be ok in rear for me. That's still 2 duros harder than 76a Avilas. I think the added width of the Avilas in the rear gives me a "mental" edge. I know how they grip and I know how they slide. The Gumballs/Flashbacks are scary for me when they break loose. It's not something that I control very well.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:26 pm

I find the Gumballs to be much grippier than Flashbacks. I trust them in the rear as much as an Avalon. I can't get a handle on the way the Avilas slide. If they let go, I can't seem to get them back.

I've also ridden exactly 3 times since Morro. Nevertheless, I'll be gunning for you in LA. ;-)

Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:41 pm

Noah, are you really going to be in LA this weekend?
Now I feel the urge to practice hard for the next two days
so I won't be embarassed again.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:48 pm

I'll tell you on Monday.

David Hicks

Post by David Hicks » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:21 pm

i like avilas