Stingers vs. Cambrias

Slalom skateboard wheels

Moderator: Marion Karr

Hunter Singleton

Stingers vs. Cambrias

Post by Hunter Singleton » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:42 am

For a good all conditions TS/Hybrid wheel would the (abec 11) Stingers or the
(3dm) Cambrias be a better choice? what I really want are avalons, but everyone tells me to go for the Cambrias. I don't want ot be that technical, or competitive, or do I? I will likely be running these wheels on a Roe Racing Cross-Fire if that makes a difference.
I was thinking about running 78a's in the back and 85(ish)a's in the front. any suggestions on this either?

Thanks,
Hunter
Last edited by Hunter Singleton on Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm high on life not drugs.
(Don't poke badgers with spoons)

Aaron Morris

Post by Aaron Morris » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:56 pm

Hunter,
I think the cambrias are better beacuse of their superior traction to the stingers. The durometers you suggested are fine , but the cambrias are super grippy and you might be able to get away with a harder wheel.
Aaron
Team Turner & Radikal Racing Trucks

Paul Howard

Stingers Vs Cambrias

Post by Paul Howard » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:28 am

Hey! If I run a course tight enough to not want 3DM Avalons, I ride Abec 11 Stingers for the speed over the Cambrias, I might change my mind this year as I attempt 5 feet and under cone spacing, but so far Stingers have worked well for me on tight courses (once you get more slalom under your belt, you'll probably want the speed of an Avalon or Flashback on hybrid or bigger courses anyway). I've also seen a few people (Dan Hughes and Gareth Roe) use Abec 11 No-sSkoolz with and without lathe flattened edges on tight slalom courses( they also rode PVD's which everyone who rides them claims adds traction), So if that leaves you more confused join the club. I weigh 165-ish and my back foot is usually right over the back truck or barely in front and my front foot is right behind the front truck, with that in mind I find running approx 80/81 in back and 84/86 in front serves me well in almost any situation if you don't want a bizillion semi-coned wheels in your possesion of widely varying duros. If you decide on Avalons for tight slalom I find they feel and turn much nicer if lathed down in width a little-see the wheel lathing forum. My best advice is go ride as many different setups of other peoples boards as you can . This is all coming from a rank middle of the pack amature by the way. Good Luck - Paul H.
I just dig slalom!