Wheel construction, building and quality

Slalom skateboard wheels

Moderator: Marion Karr

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Wheel construction, building and quality

Post by Carsten Pingel » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:53 am

Everyone rides the wheels but not that much people know how wheels are built !? me included.
Does anyone have some pictures of the wheel building process ? I couldn't find any pictures in the net.
And I would like to know what kind of quality management wheel manufacturers use ?
Do they have any quality checks at all ?
Its not about a specific wheel company , but in the past 3 years I saw a lot of wheels which, in my eyes, shouldn't be sold, because they were uncircilar, or there were bubbles !

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:12 am

Bernhard "Frankenblitz" Kumpel makes good wheels in his garage. I tried them on a slalom board and they were pretty good. He makes freestyle wheels mostly though. I will lead him to this thread.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:24 am

i think carsten is talking about the american market.since he's also checking cruisin.de,most of the stuff bernhard can tell has already been posted there.
how about dan gesmer or chris chaput joing this conversation?

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:57 am

yes Don, that's what I meant ! :-) Just because I studied mechanical construction, I'm interested what kind of tooling is used, raw materials and so on !

And don't worry ! I don't want to copy anything and I'm not going to produce G.O.G wheels ! :-) ........but, hmmm, the more I think about it .............. :-)))))

Heiko Schöller
Heiko
Heiko

G.O.G. wheels

Post by Heiko Schöller » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:44 am

Carsten wait until next year...G.O.G wheels are coming...maybe!!!!!
WWW.CONCRETEWAVE.DE
100% Skateshop and no fucking fashion store. GOG homebase.
WWW.PAVEL-SKATES.COM
Pavel über alles
ASSA = Anti Skateboard Slalom Association

tony roderick

Re: Wheel construction, building and quality

Post by tony roderick » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:45 pm

Carsten Pingel wrote:Everyone rides the wheels but not that much people know how wheels are built !? me included.
Does anyone have some pictures of the wheel building process ? I couldn't find any pictures in the net.
And I would like to know what kind of quality management wheel manufacturers use ?
Do they have any quality checks at all ?
Its not about a specific wheel company , but in the past 3 years I saw a lot of wheels which, in my eyes, shouldn't be sold, because they were uncircilar, or there were bubbles !

MPC is a world class skateboard wheel manufacturer. We have been manufacturing skateboard wheels for 31 years. Our company manufactured the first sealed precision ball bearing skateboard wheel, ROAD RIDER in 1975. Santa Cruz (NHS) was our west coast distributor back then and is now still a customer. I was the originator of the Road Rider design and Quality Products was the name of the manufacturing company and also the east coast distributor.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:00 am

Just as a old school skater who rode nearly every slalom and downhill wheel design from the 1970's forward I wanted to personally thank you for your input to the skateboard community and for helping to create the catylst for so many peoples fondest memories of childhood.

I have ridden the RR 2,4,6,Hesters, OJ slalom, Superjuice, Hotjuice, Park Rider series and so forth.

I have always been curious about the Urethane different formualtions of OJ's over the years. I owned many many pairs. The first sets were Orange clear- then there was a change to a orange transluscent formual and an opaque formula (harder duro?) all with very different riding characteristics.

I designed the Turner/3DM/Seismic Avalon- on my Newton 2100 message pad. But I did not specify the lip design.

I have always want to improve that wheel.

I have Turbo Cad and was wondering what program people typically use?

The RR2 was great for steep hills where you wanted to limit speed. The RR4 was at once time the best all around skateboard wheel. (you know it is so funny because I hopped on a pair in 2000 and had forgotten the difference between hot and cold pour uerethanes..you know I still think that the cold pour formuals might be amazing for super steep pitches)

I always enjoyed the handling characteristics of the RR6 and the Cambria was in part a hybrid of the RR6 inner lip(double inner face) and a direct dupe of the Kryptonics CS-62 outer lip.

The double stepped lip design was revolutionary. Thanks.

Anyhow- just letting you know that you are really appreciated more than you know by many skaters. without your pioneering efforts, skateboard slalom would be very limited.

We would not be having the time of our lives without you Having your wheels available at the same time as the Caddillac DK-51 allowed for slalom racers to have choice and helped induce retailers to stock slalom product since they saw so many wheels available.

Contact me by PM if you like.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:19 pm

John or Tony,

I kind of remember buying my first set of RR4s from an archery catalog?? out of Binghamton, NY
Could either of you confirm this and the name of the place...??

My mental health is at stake... HAHA
Tod

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:40 am

Yeah I got my first set mail order from a store that sold archery and sports gear out of Long Island NY. Then Blacker and Kooby (a stationary store on Madison avenue) started carrying them.

Tod- here's just the thing for your mental sanity- what High end audio manufacture is also out of Binghamton NY? I went there a few years ago- there really isn't much there.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour