Where's the Biltin Forum?

Biltin Bearings

Moderator: Chris Chaput

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:43 am

Hey there this is... Bob. Yea, Bob - not Chris. I just borrowed Chris' computer but I'm not Chris. I'm Rob. I mean Bob. Yea, that's right, Bob.

Well anyways I (Bob) was just noticing that there isn't a Biltin Bearings Forum on this site. Don't you think it odd that the best bearing for slalom and most revolutionary bearing in 30 years of skateboarding isn't being discussed in a forum of its own?

I (Bob) can only assume that the riders who have tried (and now swear by) Biltins are keeping it a secret so that they have a performance advantage at their next race. Perhaps there are some racers out there on something other than Pleasure Tools, Ousts and Turner (or is it 3dm now)? Hmmm.

I think that Biltins will change the way that skaters look at bearings. Wheels and trucks too. Now there is a reason to step up.

Sincerely,

Bob (not Chris) Smith

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:47 am

Hey Bob, It is I, Chris. Thanks for returning my computer to me.

Now that you mention it, that Biltin idea is a great one. We should bring it up with Adam.

Before I loan you my computer again, have you heard about the Gumballs?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:15 am

<center>Five reasons Biltins suck.</center>

1. They don’t need any washers and spacers. They roll. I don’t want my bearins to roll down the hill that fast. Now I gotta change the entire approach to slalom on hills.
2. They don’t need any washers and spacers. I’m a gadget guy. I want washers and spacers!
3. They don’t need any washers and spacers. I used to be able to develop personal relationship with my equipment and carried a bunch of stuff with me. Chris has taken that away from me. No more washers and spacers. Shame.
4. They don’t need any washers and spacers. I used to be able to develop friendships during races when I needed a washer or something. That’s how I met Mcree. I don’t have any friends now.
5. They don’t need any washers and spacers. I used to spend so much time changing set-ups that people started calling me WesE. He is my hero. I liked being called WesE. Changing wheels and bearding is now a breeze. You have taken that away from me. Your bearings suck!

PS. Please make a sealed version soon.

Victoria Popov
Team Popov
Team Popov

Post by Victoria Popov » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:18 am

Vlad used to spend hours assembling/disassembling/cleaning his bearings. I had tons of free time. I could watch TV, read a book, even do my homework. Biltins have taken that away from me. Instead of doing his “manly” thing with his bearings, Vlad spends all his free time with me. Too much of a good thing isn’t that good. Thanks for nothing, Biltins!

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:10 am

Chris (Bob), Vlad, Victoria et al.

My apologies for not paying attention, you have your forum.

adam

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:12 am

"These bearings have changed my life"

(Chris I give you permission to use that in any ad you like)

Now if I could only get them to fit my Hyper Stradas.....

:razz:

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:57 am

I hate to change your life all over again, but...

We'll are developing a 67mm wheel on a 35mm hub that will compel you to stick your Stradas on ebay on opening day. They'll have the standard .400" spacers.

For you, we'll call them "Stringers" or "Strangers" or "Straddling" if we can't decide.

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:00 am

Victoria, You definitely need a guy with less time on his hands. I know a guy named Bob who'll be busy on, let's say, Saturday evening about 11:00pm?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:47 pm

On 2003-09-10 00:57, Chris Chaput wrote:
I hate to change your life all over again, but...

We'll are developing a 67mm wheel on a 35mm hub that will compel you to stick your Stradas on ebay on opening day. They'll have the standard .400" spacers.

For you, we'll call them "Stringers" or "Strangers" or "Straddling" if we can't decide.
chris can you PLEASE do something like that in a 62 or 63mm flavor...I so want a 62mm flashback!

I am riding alot more green wheels lately than i ever did before....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Stepanek on 2003-09-10 12:59 ]</font>

Gareth Roe
RoeRacing Team Captain
RoeRacing Team Captain

Post by Gareth Roe » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:37 pm

Chris-
You should try the modified NoSkoolz that Michael and I have been using for tight! They are 65mm x ?? (I can't remember - just a hair skinnier than the Stradas you use), come in a wide range of durometers, center-set, have great roll speed, are super fast and grippy to boot!

I think you would like them.
Later-
G

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:47 pm

I've tried shaved NoSchools and there are great for "TS" TS.

The problem with other wheels seems to be not in the wheels but in the wide trucks that we all have.
Centered Hub makes a set-up MidTrack-like with your regular 100 mm axle. Quicker transitions = more presission.

LaCostas are as fast though.

I heard a rumor that Biltins were 0.01s faster on CyberSL then the Tools that are for Pleasure.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:52 pm

Gareth - I have some shaved no schools coming my way, hopefully in he mail as I type this.

Vlad - I don't know if the biltins are any "faster" in their roll that PTs (or any other quality bearing)...but the added precision of the design of the Biltin I think makes the difference up...ESPECIALLY in courses that are heavily offset where you are loading the wheels with alot of side load...you can feel it in the acceleration out of the turn....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Stepanek on 2003-09-10 14:01 ]</font>

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:53 pm

ESPECIALLY in courses that are heavily offset where you are loading the wheels with alot of side load.
That's why I ride them.

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:05 am

Here is a closeup: http://www.abec11.com/images/got_lrg.jpg

Regarding the issue with sideloads, if you have to back off of the locknut to get the wheel to spin freely, it is impossible for both bearings to evenly share the sideloads. That extra slop on your axle means that the inner race of the other bearing isn't engaged like the one that is either being pushed or pulled by the hanger or locknut.

Only when the inner races of the bearings are connected and "act as one" can the opposite bearing help in sharing the sideload. Even then, you won't get a perfect 50/50 sharing unless the outer races are 100% secured in place. You can glue, clip or fasten them to the hub in a number of different ways. When you do, the inner races AND the outer races are perfectly spaced and move in tandem with one another, as long as the locknut is secure.

By sharing the sideloads you get BOTH bearings working more efficiently. They don't have to work as hard, they roll faster, they last longer and you can spend more time being with your wife (or getting one).

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:19 am

thanks for the info Chris.... I understood the issue as follows (which is sorta close to yours). On standard axles/standard bearingx2+spacer+speedringx2 sets....hard sideloads pinch the inner races out of alignment with the spacer and such. The small axle just gives it all room to "do it's thing"...this is sloppy.

8mm axles helped but there still is "a tiny bit" of slop (due to the axle not actually 8mm...etc etc

The biltins remove the little slop left (within reason) and give the inner race (by design) a more stable/larger footprint on the axle...reducing even more sideloads.

As long as your hanger ends are true (see geezer-x) it doesn't matter about your axles (that much, though the 8mm is still better if you can get it)...everything is true. As long as the inner contact points of the biltin bearings are true, I am sure they ALWAYS are...right Chris?

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:16 am

Where can I get some pre-shave No-Skools?

I`s like a set in 81a, 84a and 88a, 65mm with inner and outer lips just squared off.

Or I guess I can oder the wheels, ship them to Sparky, and have him shave them.

Speaking of Biltins. got some on Radikals waiting for wheels and a deck....